U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 06:39 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,846,998 times

Advertisements

I don't really understand what you mean by curves. Do you mean a large bust? A big butt? I am not heavy or busty, but I have an hourglass figure, and a lot of things that look fine on straight, skinny types end up looking sexy on me. I avoid that at work. It seems inappropriate. I'm OK with fitted and figure-flattering, but at some point it slides into too sexy. Where that point is, is just up to the person.

If you mean large-busted, then I don't know what "cover up" means. I strongly believe there should NO cleavage whatsoever at work. But as long as there is no cleavage, I think it just is what it is. If you feel a look is emphasizing the bust to the point where it feels like it might be inappropriate, then it probably is.

Without more detail about exactly what looks and body parts you mean, it's hard to say more. Of course, I'm in my 40's, so maybe what I think is appropriate is not what everyone thinks is appropriate. Then again, your boss is more likely to be my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 06:48 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,846,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Ok so fitted is always best. If she has a noticeable butt, Can she wear a dress or skirt without having to wear a blazer to cover it up? Would it be deemed too sexy for the workplace if her butt is showing?
And we're not talking about a female who necessarily wants to show off her figure. Quite the contrary actually; but it can be tough though, trying to convince the crowd that it wasn't the original intention.

I have a feeling there are a few women out there who have their own views on this subject!

I would also like to get men's opinion on this.
It depends on your definition of "fitted." If you have a really large butt, then you just shouldn't wear anything that really emphasizes it. Nothing looks worse than when a woman wears pants that are very tight and stretchy and hug every bulge of her butt. If you can see any bulges from the back, then don't wear it. That's not fitted, that's ill-fitting. A pair of pants that are NOT stretch pants and NOT skinny pants, but that fit properly, is best. Straight leg, loose leg, that kind of pant leg is appropriate, but not skinny or tight. Those look fine on really skinny, tiny women, but not any women who have any curves of any kind. And if you look at your back in the mirror and see that the pants are very tight in the butt and might be inappropriate....then they are.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:06 AM

11,023 posts, read 6,208,809 times
I love suits and dresses that accentuate my hourglass figure. There is no reason to dress like a boy at work or hide a great body, in my opinion. Well tailored clothing can be both professional and feminine. Avoid too tight or any decolletage, however.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:41 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,300,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Ok so fitted is always best. If she has a noticeable butt, Can she wear a dress or skirt without having to wear a blazer to cover it up? Would it be deemed too sexy for the workplace if her butt is showing?
And we're not talking about a female who necessarily wants to show off her figure. Quite the contrary actually; but it can be tough though, trying to convince the crowd that it wasn't the original intention.

I have a feeling there are a few women out there who have their own views on this subject!

I would also like to get men's opinion on this.
I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing business-appropriate fitted dresses or pencil skirts if you have a larger butt, I assume that's what you meant. I'm a pear-shaped and I used to wear them all the time when I worked in an office and don't think I looked inappropriate. In fact, pencil skirts look much better on some curves than they do on straight body types, imo. Just make sure it's flattering, that the size is right (sometimes you need to go up a size and get it tailored in the waist for it to fit well), and that it's a good quality thicker fabric, nothing too thin or stretchy. You shouldn't be able to see the outline of your underwear or cellulite or any bulges under it, other than that go fo it. Add a nice blouse and appropriate heel, and it's the classic sexy secretary look

Old 02-21-2015, 12:46 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,519,757 times
If you work in a professional environment, it shouldn't matter unless clothes are too casual. People are at work to make money. At least that's my honest feeling after 4 years of unemployment.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:02 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
If it's workplace appropriate, it flatters your figure but doesn't expose it.

I could tell you the color of the bras and thongs of some of the women I work with. Ugh.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:34 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,501,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If it's workplace appropriate, it flatters your figure but doesn't expose it.

I could tell you the color of the bras and thongs of some of the women I work with. Ugh.
This. it's fine to dress flattering and extenuate. But Extenuate =/= Expose. Sometimes if too much, it gives off the wrong impression. Like a woman who complains men just want sex from her, but says she likes wearing stuff that shows off her assets, and purposely dresses to show it off. Chances are, she's dressing more on the provocative side, rather than classy flattering.

I have an hourglass figure. I used to dress to extenuate, but I am considering dressing to hide my body, so people would have to look more at my face, rather than everywhere else but.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:56 PM

72,633 posts, read 64,111,757 times
She can wear a blazer, or a long sweater. Or a tunic. Since it's a business-casual workplace, she can wear tunics to cover her rear. I've worn tunics all my life, or else a blazer or a sweater-layer over everything. There are those long cardigan-style sweaters that don't button in front. They come in long, 3/4 or short sleeves. I wear the short-sleeved ones as a second blouse layer. She can also practice her posture to minimize the curvature that causes "sway back", i.e. her rear to stick out. She can straighten her spine (practicing standing against a wall), so that the small of her back touches the wall. To achieve this, she rotates her lower pelvis forward. This minimizes the rear.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 22,161,261 times
a mans opinion?

I cant keep it pg13 and be honest...

so ill be pc...

don't wear anything that the other women will turn into hyenas and rip you apart ...men are much more tolerant and open minded ... for you wearing whatever you want ..

Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 AM

944 posts, read 769,054 times
I work with all men and I noticed that when I wore sweaters that show my "lovely lady lumps," they can't seem to look me in the face when talking to me and they start to turn a little red. So, now I only wear very loose sweaters or wear a sports bra to work. All the men are married, but that doesn't change anything. It makes me uncomfortable when they react like that, so I think it makes them uncomfortable too when I show too much curves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or