Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,337,095 times

Advertisements

White and gold.

I can think of some lighting tricks that could make light colors look darker, but I can't for the life of my figure how that supposedly made a black/navy blue dress look white and gold. Supposedly this dress comes in 3-4 different colors, but all w/ black lace. On other sites, in other pictures, this is obvious, but this picture is obviously the brain child and play thing of the devil created to divide humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:41 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,830,907 times
Hahaha it's hooked up to change the photo filter as you scroll down.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,886,085 times
It's just the lighting.

You can tell that there is a skylight of some kind over to the right of the dress that is casting a bluish tint to it. That's all.

The dark blue/black version is NOT the same dress that is in the original photo. That is another version.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:57 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,181,679 times
There is something black and white directly behind it to the left.

Because of the bad lighting it could be anything but I SEE a gold/brown color on a light (white/bone/lt blue/silver) background.

I don't get the brouhaha.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,068 times
Its been proven the actual dress is black and blue and if you see it as that then your retinas are better.

"Your eyes have retinas, the things that let you interpret color. There's rods, round things, and cones that stick out, which is what gives your eye a textured appearance in the colored part. The "cones" see color. The "rods" see shade, like black, white and grey. Cones only work when enough light passes through. So while I see the fabric as white, someone else may see it as blue because my cones aren't responding to the dim lighting. My rods see it as a shade (white).

There's three cones: small, medium and large. They are blue sensitive, green sensitive, and red sensitive.

As for the black bit (which I see as gold), it's called additive mixing. Blue, green and red are the main colors for additive mixing. This is where it gets really tricky. Subtractive mixing, such as with paint, means the more colors you add the murkier it gets until its black. ADDITIVE mixing, when you add the three colors the eyes see best, red, green and blue, (not to be confused with primary colors red, blue and yellow) it makes pure white.

—Blue and Black: In conclusion, your retina's cones are more high functioning, and this results in your eyes doing subtractive mixing.

—White and Gold: our eyes don't work well in dim light so our retinas rods see white, and this makes them less light sensitive, causing additive mixing, (that of green and red), to make gold."

Old 02-26-2015, 11:27 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,547,377 times
I see white and gold. Without telling him why, I asked Mr.Carlotta to tell me the colors of the dress, he saw black and
blue.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,960,541 times
I see blue and black or the trim could be a dark brown. But the dress I see is not gold to my eyes just blue. It's been all over Twitter and Facebook. Some people see blue and black and others see gold and white.

I scrolled up and down on it and it's still blue and black. It's ugly anyway, we need to destroy it.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 PM

2,272 posts, read 3,072,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I saw it as white and gold earlier but now I see it as black and blue every time I see it now
Same here. It looked white and gold no question the first time I saw it but now it looks black and blue to me. Very strange.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:44 PM

102,179 posts, read 107,754,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
It's black and blue. Clearly black and blue.

If you aren't seeing black and blue, your monitor color settings are off.
Black and blue.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:02 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,248 times
It was white and gold the first time I clicked. Then, after reading some responses, I clicked again and it was blue and brown.

I guess some combo of cookies and server settings controls this. Fascinating. But almost certainly has an explanation that will have us smacking our foreheads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty