Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 01:50 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Along similar lines of this discussion, I have extremely long, almost waist length thick hair. I dye it black (its natural color before all the grey came along) every 8 weeks or so. However, it is very messy and I have ruined many things in my bathroom with that black dye. But my hairstylist charges an arm and a leg for dying. Has anyone else been able to find an affordable hairstylist for dying or a cleaner method of doing it for long hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 03:06 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I was reading an article about a retired local personality who said that he still dyes his hair, eyebrows and beard and will continue to do so. It doesn't seem to bother him one bit, and apparently he's not trying to hide the fact.

Many people that dye their hair, young or old, however don't like to admit that they do, try to hide it, and avoid talking about it. They treat it as something that's almost taboo. How do you feel about it?

Huh?? Damn near everyone colors their hair these days, and I don't know anyone that thinks or treats it as "taboo". Who cares?

Old 03-07-2015, 04:44 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Huh?? Damn near everyone colors their hair these days, and I don't know anyone that thinks or treats it as "taboo". Who cares?
I don't know CM, but some comments on here are not very complimentary at about it.... kinda judgmental.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:57 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
My mother dyed her hair into her 70's or 80's when she didn't want to
bother anymore.....her color was not harsh and when she stopped she
did look a lot older which was okay with her....my hair is still mainly
natural blond but at 68 I am getting some grey....I don't know how I'll
feel when it's mostly grey.....

Old 03-07-2015, 05:12 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Along similar lines of this discussion, I have extremely long, almost waist length thick hair. I dye it black (its natural color before all the grey came along) every 8 weeks or so. However, it is very messy and I have ruined many things in my bathroom with that black dye. But my hairstylist charges an arm and a leg for dying. Has anyone else been able to find an affordable hairstylist for dying or a cleaner method of doing it for long hair?
Are you dying the entire length every 8 weeks or just the roots?

I have long hair, but just do my roots as they grow in, so its a very clean process. Occasionally when I feel the length needs brightening up, I will go to the salon for that.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:47 PM

649 posts, read 570,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I remember my mom used to dye her hair, I hated that smell

No, I am older, but it is still an interesting question. It depends on the rest of the women. I have never minded what most people seem to mind, for instance I like single mothers, I like women of other ethnic backgrounds, I like women wearing glasses, I like women with wrinkles, freckles and so on -- so why not women with gray hair?
I wish that more men felt this way. Women are judged so harshly for any imperfection.

Anyway, I dye my hair to cover a few grays but mostly because I prefer myself with red hair and unfortunately my natural color is a dull brown.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Many people color their hair.It's normal.I just got mine done today.

Went for the honey brown with highlights.I♥ it!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:56 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No. Main reason I never did it myself before I gave it up. The mess, the imperfect results etc, etc.

I hated the hours spent in the chair and always chasing down my favorite hair colorist, so I gave it up.

But if I ever started again, I wouldn't do it at home.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:32 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,549 times
I don't dye my hair, but I can see the appeal. I don't think less of anyone who does.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
I've been dyeing my hair since I was 11 yrs old. I kinda consider it a fashion accessory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty