Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 12:21 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,570,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
No one is forcing those models pose for playboy or sport illustration as far as I am concerned they are doing it because they want to. If you are confident enough to show it off, then why not show it off?
From the posts I've read here I think the issue is that many believe that it is a negative cultural influence on the behavior of both men and women. Particularly when it is highly sexualized. Ad companies bombard us with these images, and it warps people's sensibilities on a basic level. I tend to agree with that, but I think it's a minor issue in the grand scheme of BS going on in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 04:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
How can you believe that women need to acheive some high appearance standard for these things? There are more women working now than men, and they have lower unemployment. This could only be true if it was at most a minor factor for most jobs.
Because women are evaluated on attractiveness at irrelevant points during daily life all the time. It is a factor in employment opportunites. And people in power reject people who do not "look the part" in many non acting/modeling jobs.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Because women are evaluated on attractiveness at irrelevant points during daily life all the time. It is a factor in employment opportunites. And people in power reject people who do not "look the part" in many non acting/modeling jobs.
In the great majority of jobs and professions appearance matters no more than a small amount. It increases if the person has a particularly public job, where they are regularly representing the company to others. And this measure applies to both men and women. I have no problem with that. I also don't think this has anything to do with objectification.

Your ability to compete for certain jobs will depend on many factors that you were born with or developed. Intelligent people will have an edge for some jobs. People with outgoing personalities will be better in others. And people who are attractive will be better suited for jobs where that is important. Appearance is actually one that you have a good deal of control over, compared to some traits.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:56 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,123,183 times
Lol, you can tell just by reading this thread who the attractive women are and who the unattractive women are, or the ones who self esteem issues.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:03 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,656,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Lol, you can tell just by reading this thread who the attractive women are and who the unattractive women are, or the ones who self esteem issues.
Lol....ASS-umptions from males on the Internet. Anytime women might want to discuss any Feministic views, right away there are are immediate judgments made by your type - "they can't possibly be attractive AND seeking female equality" or rights for others... they "must be unattractive" or they "must be Gay". It is what keeps some from these kinds of discussions, due to ones like you, though many have thoughts to contribute. And, you do not even understand the issue, here.

The bottom line is, typical males will never understand Sexism or what females experience in life, in any way, yet I have seen evidence of men being aware and compassionate, who were apparently raised differently than those limited to some Macho-male environment.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:12 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,656,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
It occurred to me that *your* attitude is very similar in some ways to the ones who are against LGBT, or anything they deem unacceptable in society.

I grew up in a fundamental christian community, where having that "right" ideas and doing things the "right" way, and imposing your standard on anyone you can, are what life is all about. No tolerance. Lots of condemnation. Lots of righteous indignation about what is wrong with the world. Take it a bit further and you have the Muslim extremists. Though your ideas are not the same on many topics, you are both intolerant, and they would stand right beside you on a campaign to get rid of sex in advertising.

I believe it's healthy to let people choose how they live. It's all pretty much ok so long as they aren't imposing their standards on others or interfering with someone else's freedom. Take the world as it is.

And just like the gay couple next door, "knowing that they exist" is not an imposition on *my* life.

We don't need to impose our standards on others. There is a lot in our society that appeals to the lowest denominator. But no one is forcing you or anyone else to go along with it.

Huh? Uh, no, you are confused regarding what I think or meant. I referred to this, due to the unfairness those in that community deal with and was pointing out that any discrimination of them or either sex in any way, is wrong. (It doesn't surprise me at all what your background is and views are. The fact that you had to state things as you have, says a lot).

It seems that repeatedly, you will say one thing, then the opposite, as if covering all the bases or are confused or in conflict with what you are stating. (I Guess you have some Gemini or Libra in your Zodiacal chart.. ).

But, we have gotten off track from the original point here, being that, though Sexual imagery in advertising has existed for eons, it is not right that it has been allowed to have gone to such extremes and has, does, and will affect society. There are Documentaries, etc., on the subject, so no one is making this up. (Of course, The ads are not offensive to men, so there ya go). And to those who say "the females in those ads choose to be there", is not the point, since they have a certain mentality, are getting paid well and don't care, unlike other models and actresses who would not subjugate themselves. Similarly, just as as Rape cases exist (both female and male victims) within the Military by the thousands each year, many are in denial or nonchalant regarding it -- typical.

Just a side thing, can you explain why you keep using asterisks in place of quotation marks?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I referred to this, due to the unfairness those in that community deal with and was pointing out that any discrimination of them or either sex in any way, is wrong.
The root urge comes from the same place. You just focus your ire on different targets. You could make a good case (to me) that your focus is more sensible, but that wouldn't solve anything. This is a symptom of the basic disease that afflicts our society. We are manipulated into focusing our anger and indignation on topics that really shouldn't matter, and pay no attention to the ones that do. The public is confused, divided and impotent.

Quote:
It seems that repeatedly, you will say one thing, then the opposite, as if covering all the bases or are confused or in conflict with what you are stating.
I try to understand all points of view, and explore all aspects of the topic.

Quote:
(Of course, The ads are not offensive to men, so there ya go).
I disagree. They are offensive to both genders for the same reason. Because they prey on base reactions, emotions, and fears. This is true of ads in general which is why I avoid them. It's actually an insane way to live, to allow yourself to be manipulated by this constantly. No one is immune.

Quote:
Just a side thing, can you explain why you keep using asterisks in place of quotation marks?
Asterisks are for emphasis, like bold. Quotes mean something else.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:57 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,734,572 times
The movie Liar Liar pretty much sums up this thread for me when Jim Carrey's son says...

"My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside" and Jim Carrey replies "that's just something ugly people say".

Old 03-18-2015, 07:56 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,009,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
The movie Liar Liar pretty much sums up this thread for me when Jim Carrey's son says...

"My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside" and Jim Carrey replies "that's just something ugly people say".
FFS.

Yes, because all pretty women know that as long as men find them attractive, there's no reason for them to voice an opinion or care about their worth being judged for more than their looks.

Even if these are just troll comments -- which I'm pretty sure they are -- the point is still proven.

Do you guys call men in this forum ugly or unattractive when you don't agree with them?

Old 03-19-2015, 04:39 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,734,572 times
lkmax...sorry, not trolling, just found the thread interesting. I wanted to sum up my opinion in a funny quote.

Its not about being pretty or ugly or whatever, its the fact that people always find something to complain about. Just because someone is pretty and is able to succeed in life because of their looks I don't see what the big deal is. Believe me if I had model looks and could get through life with them id definitely take advantage. Just because these women are beautiful, no where (in my opinion) does it come off as though they are a box of rocks. Most of these women are extremely smart and have been blessed with looks as well, good for them. Truth is Im just an average Joe, happy with my looks, and I do not find that men are being objectified when they are in all of these ads showing "what kind of man women want". I mean good for them to be born with a face and body like that. If I were to ever feel bothered by something like this, instead of complaining that there are better looking people out there that make the rest of us average people look bad I would do something about it. Everyone is faced with something about them they do not like but perhaps go on a diet, start working out, buy some new clothes, etc... a little goes a long way. If you are 100% happy with yourself then why even worry about stuff like this.

Id love to hear an example of where some of you feel that a woman has been objectified and tell me how you would correct it to make it appear to you that they are not being objectified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty