Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 AM

750 posts, read 644,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I imagine that women wear mini skirts, heels and halter tops because it's what they're comfortable wearing? It's not "asking for attention" when a person wears what he or she is comfortable wearing. Maybe these people aren't comfortable wearing dress slacks, low heels and a nice top? Just like some men aren't comfortable wearing a tuxedo, I suppose? Some people dress to receive attention and others don't. It's better to err on the side of caution and just assume that everyone wants to be respected, no matter how they're clothed.
That doesnt work. If you wear sexy clothes showing legs, cleavage, or curves than dont complain about getting unwanted attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:48 AM

208 posts, read 257,889 times
What I want to know from the women who try to rationalize that they are more comfortable in provocative clothing: What is so uncomfortable about wearing a knee length skirt or skirt just above the knees instead of a mini skirt? Why not unbutton only 2 buttons on your blouse instead of 3 or 4--what is the comfort level difference? I don't see it. What is the difference about wearing a modest tank top instead of a halter top? what is the different between wearing skinny pants that than a skin tight legging? You are trying to rationalize yourself and feed yourself lies about wearing revealing clothes. There is no real reason to reveal yourself, other than to attract attention. There is not one practical reason to reveal your cleavage or to reveal your midriff or other parts of your body. You are just feeding yourself lies.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:59 AM

750 posts, read 644,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
What I want to know from the women who try to rationalize that they are more comfortable in provocative clothing: What is so uncomfortable about wearing a knee length skirt or skirt just above the knees instead of a mini skirt? Why not unbutton only 2 buttons on your blouse instead of 3 or 4--what is the comfort level difference? I don't see it. What is the difference about wearing a modest tank top instead of a halter top? what is the different between wearing skinny pants that than a skin tight legging? You are trying to rationalize yourself and feed yourself lies about wearing revealing clothes. There is no real reason to reveal yourself, other than to attract attention. There is not one practical reason to reveal your cleavage or to reveal your midriff or other parts of your body. You are just feeding yourself lies.
they just say that to make themselves feel better and rationalize their behavior.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
While I don't believe in objectifying women I think it is healthy to celebrate female beauty. In fact the most oppresive nations for women, such as much of the Islamic world abhors female beauty, especially in public.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 AM

36 posts, read 37,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
Sometimes when women have very large breasts, it's impossible not to show an "indecent" amount of cleavage without wearing a turtleneck every day. Sometimes women have very long legs and dresses that are modest on shorter women aren't on them (and try telling any tall women that shopping for clothes that fits them is easy and I assure you, you will hear an earful). Sometimes these tall or large chested women are still young and don't want to shop in the section of the store deemed for women their mothers' age. Has anyone here ever even TRIED to find a midi skirt in stores that don't look like something belonging to a grandma or a super long maxi skirt? I like longer, slightly below knee length skirts and I've taken to shopping for them online as I've completely given up trying to find them in physical stores, and the prices of them sometimes aren't something most teenage or college age girls are willing to spend.

What about personal fashion sense as well? I've been told I look good in jeans. To some people jeans are far superior to skirts. But I FEEL so uncomfortable in them I only own one pair for emergencies. The same could be said why some girls like halter tops to tank tops. Just because there's no difference to other people doesn't mean that particular girl doesn't feel a difference. Maybe she finds halter tops prettier and tank tops ugly as sin-why should she be forced to wear something she finds hideous because other people think they know better than her? Maybe it's hot as hell outside and her halter top feels ten times cooler than tank top?

Point is, people need to stop painting every single other person's life with their own personal experience. We don't know why people dress the way they dress, especially when it's not how we would choose to dress, but so what? How about instead of judging, we treat them with respect and not objects for our oggling pleasure.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:11 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
The great thing about living in the USA is we have the freedom to wear pretty-much whatever clothing we want to, especially for women. So women who wear clothing that shows off more skin are for whatever reason choosing to wear that; it's not being forced on them.

As far as women wearing skimpy clothing and being objectified in commercials and other media, they are getting paid well for that objectification. As a well educated progressive woman who had many choices of professions, I can easily say if I had the body for it and the opportunity, I would be right up there with those women being objectified and being well paid for the privilege.

It's a stupid person in life that doesn't take advantage of whatever strengths and advantages they have; if someone is blessed with looks they should take advantage of them the same as someone who is good at math should consider going into a profession that uses math or someone who is naturally charismatic should consider becoming a salesman. The only downside to using beauty as a path in life is you need to do it while you're young. Beauty, unlike smarts or charisma goes away with time.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 AM

104 posts, read 83,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
This isn't necessarily true, the Greek and Romans celebrated the male body a lot more then they did women's. In fact when observing Greek statues I noticed how almost all the male statues were naked and female statues were almost always fully clothed. I guess with the introduction of Christianity is when things started to change as Christian values suppressed both gay and heterosexual female desires.
You've made an excellent point. I had actually forgotten the extent to which the male body was objectified in the Greco-Roman world.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,375 times
Not when it comes to advertising. No one is forcing these women to take those jobs.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:29 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
That doesnt work. If you wear sexy clothes showing legs, cleavage, or curves than dont complain about getting unwanted attention.

I notice everything around me on the street. But that doesn't mean that the street organized itself for me. The problem is thinking that how someone dresses is a message of some sort other than just that's how they want to dress. This is when boundaries come into play.

If how someone dresses arouses a person, it's up to that person to deal with it without involving anyone else. Just walking down the street is not an invitation. There's a huge difference between simply noticing and leering, commenting, and cat-calling.

There is no "universal standard" of what is "sexy clothing," either, so saying that what a woman wears automatically "invites" unwanted attention is questionable. There is no understanding of what constitutes, "safe" dress because there is no such thing.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:37 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I love when sexy ladies dress sexy, keep it going. Big shout out to all my sexy friends who still keep it classy but look sexy in the Dirty South lol. I love Southern Belles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty