U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 07:20 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,444,187 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that diet helps to enhance one's natural-given attributes? Or do you think that we are limited by our genes, and that diet really can't change things very much?

This thread is about what has worked for you, what doesn't, and the things that you feel are just hype.

I have some friends that came over from Greece. Their skin complexion is amazing. They attribute their tone and texture to a lifetime consumption of olive oil in their diet, which is like a staple in that region of the world.

Check out these foods that Dr. Oz recommends:

Top 10 Beauty-Detox Foods | The Dr. Oz Show
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:35 AM

14,657 posts, read 29,708,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Do you believe that diet helps to enhance one's natural-given attributes? Or do you think that we are limited by our genes, and that diet really can't change things very much?

This thread is about what has worked for you, what doesn't, and the things that you feel are just hype.

I have some friends that came over from Greece. Their skin complexion is amazing. They attribute their tone and texture to a lifetime consumption of olive oil in their diet, which is like a staple in that region of the world.

Check out these foods that Dr. Oz recommends:

Top 10 Beauty-Detox Foods | The Dr. Oz Show
I eat virtually nothing on that list except citrus. Your friends from Greece probably have good skin due to genetics, and maybe a small part from diet/lifestyle. I am part Spanish and have a great complexion. At 65, my face has only a few fine lines, and looks supple and glowing despite going in the sun (I live in Florida)

Don't get me wrong, I eat healthy, I don't eat a lot of processed foods, I get plenty of protein, fruit, nuts, veggies and fats, don't smoke, drink moderately and only wine. I do use olive oil, but only on salad, it oxidizes if you cook with it. I work out a lot and get a lot of fresh air. I live close to the coast. I also do not put chemicals on my skin and wash only with oils, no soap. So there are many things that go into what one's skin looks like. And I have to say that genetics is really #1.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:55 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,016,851 times
Certainly no super-food will turn you into a supermodel, but yes, I do believe diet & lifestyle have an enormous impact on beauty and aging. Mainly because I have seen results. It's all about finding what works for you.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:27 PM

151 posts, read 103,029 times
I believe in Portion Control (no diet!!!)....

But part of your body frame/built IS genetic. I'm always going to be curvy, but at least I can keep it toned & smooth by exercise everyday & portion control when I eat.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:14 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,586,921 times
I think diet has an ENORMOUS impact on beauty. Besides weight issues, a crappy diet can wreck havoc on your skin and general demeanor.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:40 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,444,187 times
For some strange reason, people don't like to talk about diet in relation to how it affects one's looks. Go figure.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:58 AM

69 posts, read 45,750 times
Diet for me is the most important component of beauty. When I eat well (vegetables, healthy fats/proteins, some fruit) my skin glows, my figure istrim and my general wellbeing is improved which helps radiate beauty from within.

When I’m eating poorly the first things that suffers is my skin; it breaksout quite badly! The next thing that goes is my figure; I’m puffy and untoned. Otherthings that make me look less attractive are puffy, red eyes, greasy hair andskin, and not carrying myself well due to feeling sick and tired.

Overall, I think if you want to be more attractive, ditch the junk food andmake vegetables a staple at every meal. I’ve noticed when I cut out sugar andfocus on vegetables I look my most attractive (and receive more attention)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or