Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 06:31 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
And instead it's just something to toss your wallet and keys in.
There's the difference. You just see it as something to toss your wallet and keys in. I want something that looks stylish. We probably have different standards of quality and appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:44 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are a lot of people making moral judgements on how people choose to spend their money. It is very strange.
I'm not trying to judge but I guess it is judging. I laugh inside when I see someone spending $500 on a LV or D&B or similar "designer" bag , because they are paying for a name not quality. But if I saw that same person with a $500 Herme's bag , would think completely the opposite. It would be kudo's to them for spending money on something that is truely high end and will last pretty much forever.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:51 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm not trying to judge but I guess it is judging. I laugh inside when I see someone spending $500 on a LV or D&B or similar "designer" bag , because they are paying for a name not quality. But if I saw that same person with a $500 Herme's bag , would think completely the opposite. It would be kudo's to them for spending money on something that is truely high end and will last pretty much forever.

Pretty sure you could get a Hermes keychain for $500, but a bag would be a little more than that

Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL! Sorry hon, women don't buy expensive bags to impress men. What a hilarious thought.
I'm a woman and I understand that women flaunt expensive stuff to try to impress other women. In my case though, if I even notice that a woman is carrying a purse that's supposed to be expensive, I always assume it's a fake. So much for being impressed.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:16 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are a lot of people making moral judgements on how people choose to spend their money. It is very strange.
Jade, people make moral judgments on just about everything on these forums I have noticed. Makeup, body-size, what to wear, you name it. I too find it strange.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:14 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Keep in mind that someone has to buy those expensive things and get tired of them, in order for your wife to find them secondhand. You don't want everyone to realize those things are a waste of money, or they'll quit buying and then donating when they're tired of the items, and the cheap supply will dry up for your wife.

All of my purses are leather and most of them are good brands that would have been pretty expensive new. I got them all at Goodwill for $4 each. I'm glad that other people splurge on purses and then give them away when they're tired of them. So people, please don't stop Your splurge today will become my bargain find in a couple years.
Exactly! Just like the people who think only idiots buy new cars. Where do they think used cars come from?

Old 03-11-2015, 09:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
FYI: D&B bags retail for ~$300-400 generally and are well known to last forever. Vuitton starts at $1000 for coated canvas bags and are more "price inflated" for the brand prestige. An Hermes bag costs about as much as a newer used compact car to start.

There isn't a 100% correlation between price and quality, but some bags are well worth the premium. My aunt has a 20+ year old coach bag that is her only purse. It's holding up just fine with thousands of days of use.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I cant go into those places (second hand clothing) they remind me of death and smell like poverty.
Lol, that is exactly what the thrift stores in my area are like. People are only donating things that have absolutely no value, that they can't even give away on freecycle, Craig's list, or local free Facebook pages. They aren't even giving kitchen or household items or toys to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I don't care how much they cost. They make my wife happy. Happy wife = happy life. My wife has a large collection of Coach products. I even have a Coach wallet that she picked up for me one year. She also has other brands that she loves. Someday I need to build a handbag closet for all of her bags. LOL

What I like about Coach is the product is guarenteed for life. The company has amazing customer service. I went to a Coach store looking for a Christmas present a few years back. They were able to bring up my wifes earlier purchases and tell me what she had allready. I like that. I doubt you will get that kind of service anywhere else.

Because I love my wife I also like to keep up on her personal style. We were at the Coach store in Las Vegas maybe 3 weeks ago. She didn't like the collection that they had. I took notice. we did find a bag that she did like produced by a company called The Sak. I liked it as well. Liked the idea that it was at Ross on sale for $59 with a regular retail price of $149. A lot better than the Coach Prices.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 03-11-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 10:23 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Pretty sure you could get a Hermes keychain for $500, but a bag would be a little more than that
Just throwing numbers out there... people would freak if I used $1200....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty