U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:14 PM

1,700 posts, read 791,516 times

Advertisements

but it sounds like she is still buying the "fancy" stuff, she is just getting it second-hand. while that's great that she is getting a deal on what she is buying, she is still buying the same stuff other women are buying, it's just that most women buy it new. your wife wouldn't be able to get that $14 handbag at goodwill if someone didn't buy it from a department store first for $150.

when i buy a purse, (or anything else for that matter) i buy it because i like it. not so that someone else will like it. i know there are a lot of people out there who buy things for status symbols. but don't think that everyone who buys a coach handbag buys it to impress strangers. i like quality. i would rather buy something that will last years and still look good, over something that will look good for a very short period of time but was cheap to buy.

but i'm not talking about extremely expensive brands. i don't buy those. mainly because i cannot afford them. but also because it is just not my style. but i don't think any less of people who choose to buy them. to each there own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 03:23 PM

11,488 posts, read 5,507,878 times
There was a time when I needed a purse, I would go to KMart. Once I found a handbag for $4 that matched a dress that I had. Needless to say, that bag didn't hold up well at all. At the time I bought it, it was the best that I could do when it came to price.

Now that I can afford to pay more, I go to a Dooney and Bourke Outlet Store and find some good bargains (1/2 price purses).

My biggest splurge so far has been an Henri Bendel bag. Yes, it cost quite a bit and I did save 20% but that bag will last for years. It's leather and very well made. Also, it's a style that won't go out of fashion and is an all-year round bag (as opposed to bags that have a seasonal look).

I don't buy bags with the intent of trying to impress total strangers. Instead, I buy them because I like the look of them and are practical when considering what I need to carry with me when I go out.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:41 PM

1,025 posts, read 963,448 times
I used to buy purses that weren't very expensive, but they really do rip, fray, and wear out faster. I wouldn't spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars, but a good $100-$200 purse will last much longer than a $30 one will. Since it is something I typically use every single day, quality is important.

I have found some new or almost new, nice quality purses at thrift stores. I am happy to buy those too. The biggest problem I find is that some of them reek of smoke, and that is a very difficult smell to get out of leather.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:47 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,535,320 times
I look at it this way ... a $100 purse will probably last more than 3 times as long (often MUCH longer) than a $30 purse. So in the end, my $100 purse is the better deal.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:48 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,105,445 times
Using the OP's same logic, then no automobile is worth more than $30-40k.

My wife buys an expensive purse every few years, and a pair of shoes. I'm ok with that, those are things she likes to splurge on every now and then, just like I do for cars and electronics.

The value or worth of something is not always determined by the sum of its parts. If a handbag designer can only make 500 special bags a year, they are going to price them high due to rarity. If they made 50000 of them, the price would drop, it's simple economics, the price is what the market will bear.

If the OP thinks that no handbag is worth more than $35, then that's simply the price where the utility of the item intersects with what you deem it's value to be to you. For others, a $500 handbag can be a bargain.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,443,700 times
I shop like your wife. Two weeks ago, I found a Giani Bernini all-leather handbag that sells for apx. $130 at Macy's. I paid $4.99 for it--and it is like new and in mint condition. I swear I don't think anyone ever used it. Incidentally, this is the second GB handbag I've purchased at a thrift store in the past few years. So now I have two---they're my absolute favorite purses. I have purchased Kate Spade handbags at thrift stores before, too... Never, and I mean never, will I ever buy full price (or even sale price) at a retail shop---not when you can find'em for less than 5 bucks!

Old 03-09-2015, 05:58 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,364,709 times
I cant go into those places (second hand clothing) they remind me of death and smell like poverty.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:32 PM

30,408 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
There was a time when I needed a purse, I would go to KMart. Once I found a handbag for $4 that matched a dress that I had. Needless to say, that bag didn't hold up well at all. At the time I bought it, it was the best that I could do when it came to price.

Now that I can afford to pay more, I go to a Dooney and Bourke Outlet Store and find some good bargains (1/2 price purses).

My biggest splurge so far has been an Henri Bendel bag. Yes, it cost quite a bit and I did save 20% but that bag will last for years. It's leather and very well made. Also, it's a style that won't go out of fashion and is an all-year round bag (as opposed to bags that have a seasonal look).

I don't buy bags with the intent of trying to impress total strangers. Instead, I buy them because I like the look of them and are practical when considering what I need to carry with me when I go out.

Since you feel the need to inform posters () that you can now "afford to pay more," you can do that without suggesting that there isn't a happy medium between a $4 purse and a D&B.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:14 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Womans fashions are one of the largest scams in the world retail cycles almost justifying knock offs ( if made well as some are not). Purses and handbags unless diamond or gems studded are generally made for 1/4 the retail charge. The popularity is driven by customer susceptibility of womens greed, an illusion of prestige ( once the market is flooded no-
body cares and nobody impressed) . Women actually who spend hundreds for a purse are mostly mocked , considered fools and materialistic suckers. My wife yesterday bought a non oustentatious medium sized all leather purse for $18 at a
second hand store in mint condition which sells for $145 at
TJMax She gets designer clothes for $4 at Goodwill . A vest that sells for $350 she paid $12 and its seriously like totally new! God I like her! The exploitation of womans fashions has
cause many to go into severe debt driven by image, in-
security ,attractive features ,competition, and marketing
frenzy like QVC and so-called sales.

Well, is your wife into designer clothes and the retail cost of items or is she buying things because she liked them regardless of who made them and what they originally sold for???

I buy what I like if I can afford it/if it's within our means. Sometimes I buy new, sometimes I buy preowned. Some of my preowned bags cost over $1500. For me, my handbags are my most used and abused item, so I want them to last AND I want something that I find attractive and that works for my lifestyle. And I would bet that the average person has no clue who makes my bags, nor their cost.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:23 PM

343 posts, read 312,713 times
I always believed a good bag makes an outfit for a woman (together with shoes). If you have a simple outfit but it is finished with a great bag it makes all the difference. I am going for quality on this one not quantity. Never owned bunch of cheap bags. Just a few expensive ones. Currently I have only two bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or