U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:13 PM

944 posts, read 776,520 times

Advertisements

Once I've held a nice quality leather bag, I've never gone back. It just doesn't feel and look the same.

Like someone else said, what may be a waste of money for others is not a waste for me, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 04:00 PM

24,008 posts, read 31,278,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
In addition to the fraying and unraveling mentioned, the color can fade too. I've bought several $30 purses at places like Target. They're good for about a year.
Yep. I typically prefer Fossil leather bags, and have spent about $50 to $80 or so, up until recently, as the prices of even Fossils have gotten pretty high. I bought a bag from Target last year, it had a leather look, and was fairly attractive for such a small price. Not sure I even got a whole year out of it. So I definitely feel that it is worth the higher voice for a good leather bag. My last Fossil was about $125 I think. I bought it in October and I expect it will last me several years, just like the previous one.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:44 PM

747 posts, read 632,068 times
I've been known to hang my bag around my neck if there's no hook.

^^^ Oh my Lord, I have done this, too! To me, some purses are worth it and some aren't. I don't understand the whole Louis Vuitton craze that is rampant out here in So Cal- I personally don't think that they are that attractive and they are ungodly expensive. My sister's fiance' got her one that retailed for $2500 for her birthday a few years ago but he knew someone in the industry and got it for $400. I saw that purse sitting on a pile of boxes the other day in the spare room in my parents house, by the way, LOL.

Cheap purses do wear out fast and I don't buy them anymore. If there is a purse I want I will ask for it for Christmas or my birthday and use it for years. My current purse I've been using for 3 years now and it's a red Michael Kors. I also saw a blue Marc Jacobs purse on clearance at TJ Maxx the other day for only $170 and I darn near bought it but sanity prevailed, LOL.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:48 PM

11,614 posts, read 5,578,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
[b] I also saw a blue Marc Jacobs purse on clearance at TJ Maxx the other day for only $170 and I darn near bought it but sanity prevailed, LOL.
LOL! A few years back, I saw a Dooney and Bourke bag that I loved. What I didn't love was the price---and the price was the same at both Macy's and the D&B website. Then, the bag went on sale for 25% off at Macy's---and I almost caved. Good thing I didn't cave because later that year, I went to the D&B Outlet Store and found it at 1/2 price!

Old 03-10-2015, 06:47 PM

7 posts, read 4,532 times
Now hear me out... I felt EXACTLY the same way... Until an aunt had me hold her purse for her. It was so soft.. So sturdy... And the COLOR of the red leather just unparalleled to anything ever before experienced in the $35 range... I can't help appreciate the art... Even if I cannot afford to.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:50 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,567,259 times
There's a lot of that extreme vanity around here in Dallas. It's womens' way of walking around with their d***s hanging out. They think if they dress up in Gucci clothes and have a 2K bag, a handsome oilman will rush to marry them and move them into the Highland Park mansion. But it doesn't usually work out that way. First of all, most rich oil men are old fat guys. Second, old money families don't strut, so more likely they attract the $30K millionaires. Lastly I say, better off spending your money on a boob job and a gym membership. I'd wager 99.9% of guys anywhere couldn't tell a Prada bag from a Vuitton, but they could pick Pam Anderson out of a crowd from 100 paces.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:05 PM

7,736 posts, read 14,014,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
There's a lot of that extreme vanity around here in Dallas. It's womens' way of walking around with their d***s hanging out. They think if they dress up in Gucci clothes and have a 2K bag, a handsome oilman will rush to marry them and move them into the Highland Park mansion. But it doesn't usually work out that way. First of all, most rich oil men are old fat guys. Second, old money families don't strut, so more likely they attract the $30K millionaires. Lastly I say, better off spending your money on a boob job and a gym membership. I'd wager 99.9% of guys anywhere couldn't tell a Prada bag from a Vuitton, but they could pick Pam Anderson out of a crowd from 100 paces.
Hmmm, my husband buys me my handbags to strut around with. He's also probably one of the few straight men that knows the difference between a City, Work and Weekender.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 PM

555 posts, read 575,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Womans fashions are one of the largest scams in the world retail cycles almost justifying knock offs ( if made well as some are not). Purses and handbags unless diamond or gems studded are generally made for 1/4 the retail charge. The popularity is driven by customer susceptibility of womens greed, an illusion of prestige ( once the market is flooded no-
body cares and nobody impressed) . Women actually who spend hundreds for a purse are mostly mocked , considered fools and materialistic suckers. My wife yesterday bought a non oustentatious medium sized all leather purse for $18 at a
second hand store in mint condition which sells for $145 at
TJMax She gets designer clothes for $4 at Goodwill . A vest that sells for $350 she paid $12 and its seriously like totally new! God I like her! The exploitation of womans fashions has
cause many to go into severe debt driven by image, in-
security ,attractive features ,competition, and marketing
frenzy like QVC and so-called sales.
I disagree. You can't judge a woman by how expensive her purse or clothes appear. If you mock women for "spending hundreds for a purse," what do you think a similarly judgmental person who sees your wife toting the $145 purse and wearing $350 vest is thinking about her? S/he's going to think the same thing about your wife.

That person has no way of knowing your wife paid $18 and $12, respectively, for those two items -- just as you have no way of knowing how much a woman has paid for her purse or clothes. You just don't know.

For someone who accuses certain women of being materialistic/greedy/prestige-hungry, you sure seem more than a bit prideful and pretentious yourself. Notice how you take great pains to point out that your wife purchased a "non-ostentatious" leather purse? Why is that? Why did you feel the need to point out it's non-ostentatious? You seem to find pride in being non-prideful, which, of course, shows you for what you really are.

Neither you nor anyone else can truly know why a woman (or a man, for that matter) buys what s/he buys. I once bought an expensive bag for a relative who was very ill and did not have long to live, but who had always wanted a bag from that brand. She didn't really need it, but it really cheered her up and made her final days a little brighter. That, IMO, was money well spent.

Yet, if you saw us out at the park, enjoying the day, perhaps you would've thought, "Oh, look! Another materialistic, greedy woman being scammed by the fashion industry! She's a sucker to pay so much when someone like my wife only pays $18!"

My words may sound harsh, but believe me, I know where you're coming from. I once thought like you, too -- and then I saw how, sometimes, something as simple as a brand name purse can really make a difference in a person's life when it matters most.

Again, you just don't know. It's pretty superficial to judge a woman by the bag she carries or the clothes she wears. You don't know if those things were a gift, if she bought it, as your wife did, at a discount, or what.

And even if a woman did spend full retail, so what? It's her money. None of your -- or anyone else's -- business what she paid.

The point is: You don't know. You don't know what's going on in another person's life. Why judge? Why not simply focus on living your own life as you see fit, and be happy doing that instead?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 PM

265 posts, read 294,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
Or instead of trying to pick up a rich, fat guy, maybe these women simply genuinely like Prada and Gucci bags.

Trust me, we women are very well aware that men do not know designer bags.

It annoys me if someone has something expensive, people automatically think it's to impress others. Why can't it be that they just like it and want it for themselves?

Ugh.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:41 PM

14,697 posts, read 29,841,774 times
People should buy what they like and can afford, and do it for themselves! I don't care what kind of purse someone carries or what they paid. But since we are talking about quality (not cost) a few years ago I wanted a hand-painted leather bag and could not afford Anuschka, so I went online and found one made by artisans in San Francisco - lovely but fairly simple hand-painting and the leather is SO soft - after daily use for at least 3-4 years it still looks brand new and I never clean it or anything. For this bag I paid less than $100 brand new and it will probably last forever. I get tons of compliments on it from both women AND men!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or