U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:09 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times

Advertisements

I have a leather designer bag that I got as a gift (no idea the price, but can be esitimated, based on similar from same designer), a nylon Baggalini that was about $65, and a leather Nine West small crossbody bag that was $16 at TJ Maxx. I got all of them around the same time, and they get similar use/wear...all of them have held up equally well, regardless of price point. Of the three, the Nine West one is easiest to clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:29 AM

202 posts, read 172,173 times
In 1980 I purchased a quite expensive handbag that I saved up for. It cost me nearly $180 (=$520 today). I have carried it every day since. It has been the best purchase I've ever made. However, I'm not particularly hard on handbags.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:01 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,967,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm not trying to judge but I guess it is judging. I laugh inside when I see someone spending $500 on a LV or D&B or similar "designer" bag , because they are paying for a name not quality. But if I saw that same person with a $500 Herme's bag , would think completely the opposite. It would be kudo's to them for spending money on something that is truely high end and will last pretty much forever.
Don't kid yourself. Hermes has one heck of a markup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm a woman and I understand that women flaunt expensive stuff to try to impress other women. In my case though, if I even notice that a woman is carrying a purse that's supposed to be expensive, I always assume it's a fake. So much for being impressed.
I'm willing to bet that most people wouldn't recognize a bag by Loewe, Bottega Veneta, Celine and many other designers that aren't covered in a logo. When people think designer, LV pops in their head, but they have a lot of bags that aren't easily identifiable to the masses and are pretty pricey when compared to their logo collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Lol, that is exactly what the thrift stores in my area are like. People are only donating things that have absolutely no value, that they can't even give away on freecycle, Craig's list, or local free Facebook pages. They aren't even giving kitchen or household items or toys to Goodwill or Salvation Army.
I don't have the patience to sell or list any of my "designer" goods, so I take them to Goodwill...some new with tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Just throwing numbers out there... people would freak if I used $1200....
How would they know unless you told them??

Old 03-11-2015, 04:09 PM

11,501 posts, read 5,511,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
FYI: D&B bags retail for ~$300-400 generally and are well known to last forever. Vuitton starts at $1000 for coated canvas bags and are more "price inflated" for the brand prestige. An Hermes bag costs about as much as a newer used compact car to start.

There isn't a 100% correlation between price and quality, but some bags are well worth the premium. My aunt has a 20+ year old coach bag that is her only purse. It's holding up just fine with thousands of days of use.

I've never spent more than just over $200 for a D&B bag---and that was only when it couldn't find it on sale at Macy's plus the style never showed up in the Outlet store. In both cases when I spent that much, I had no regrets since in the end, they never made it to the outlet store. For the other times, I'm glad that I was patient and waited for them to hit the Outlet store.

That said, I once saw on D&B's website a bag that was made of alligator going for $3 Gs

Old 03-11-2015, 04:37 PM

1,931 posts, read 1,160,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
We probably have different standards of quality and appearance.

This comment in general to the whole thread. Yes, of course people have different standards of quality and appearance. Moral judgements? Nope. The only morals I'm concerned with are my own. If you (general you) feel great with a $500 purse, that's your business. I will always think it's wasteful, but I'm not one to slap "shallow prima donna" stickers on people's heads or whatever. You do your thing and I'll do mine.

My $48 bag looks great to me. It's genuine leather, large enough for what I need to carry, which is a lot, and matches everything I wear because it's black and casual. My cheapest bags lasted at least 2 years in the past and didn't look like I fished them out of the trash.

Maybe other people judge me for my no-name purse. That's their business.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:37 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,491,906 times
People like what they like. Why buy a $80K Mercedes when a $20k Honda will serve the same purpose? I like nice watches. Not to impress anyone but because I like the heritage of certain brands and the workmanship that goes into the movements. I could get the time from my iPhone, but I prefer to wear a nice watch.

I know people who bury themselves in college tuition debt for six figures when they could have got the same education for under $30K at a state college. Or couples who buy these big 6-bedroom McMansions in the burbs yet never have overnight guests for those two or three extra bedrooms that remain empty "just in case". If they're happy with their purchase, who am I to criticize? It's their money, not mine.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:48 PM

4,940 posts, read 2,565,618 times
There isn't a purse ,/ handbag worth more than $ 35 in the world!

I guess not if you are purchasing it from Walmart.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:55 PM

5,267 posts, read 2,878,432 times
Being an artist, everything I own eventually gets paint on it. Or glue. Or varnish. That's the main reason I don't spend a lot on designer bags. I don't want to bawl my head off when I accidentally get red paint on my expensive purse. Too much pressure.

I think people should spend their money however they see fit. If an expensive handbag brings them happiness, then go for it. (Don't let me near it, though, or I'll end up getting paint and glue on it. Sorry!)

Old 03-11-2015, 10:26 PM

692 posts, read 788,697 times
Quote:
I think people should spend their money however they see fit. If an expensive handbag brings them happiness, then go for it.
Pretty much. Just because Person A can't fathom (or afford) spending more than X dollars on something doesn't make it applicable for the rest of the alphabet. Whether you spend $50, $500 or $5,000 on a purse doesn't phase me.
Now if I happen to know you personally and know for a fact that your kids have missed a few meals, your lights have been turned off, you are one rent check away from moving into your parent's basement and your car was just repo'd I will side eye and judge but for everyone else, especially if they can easily afford it and there are plenty of people out there that can afford high dollar stuff and it doesn't put a dent in their walking around money, Bobby Brown said it best: I made this money. You didn't.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 AM

23,916 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm a woman and I understand that women flaunt expensive stuff to try to impress other women. In my case though, if I even notice that a woman is carrying a purse that's supposed to be expensive, I always assume it's a fake. So much for being impressed.
Well I don't any of those women. The ladies I know buy purses that suit THEM...not other people. I don't give a rats patooty what anyone else thinks of my handbags. And honestly, many women would probably not make the same picks I do because I don't like a lot of metal, logos, and jingly crap on my bag. I prefer an understated classic look. And frankly, if I found a "perfect" bag for $300, believe me, I am so damn picky about my handbags that I would buy it. And be happy to have found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or