Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:11 AM

786 posts, read 811,587 times

Advertisements

Once on a time, the woollen cardigan was an essential part of a man's wardrobe. It was affordable, universally-obtainable, lightweight, warming, and casual yet smart. A fashionable woman would wear one too. But hers was usually a constituent of the twin-set, which, in the smartest circles, would have been worn with a fine string of pearls. I miss them now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 07:19 AM

Regularly, we got ours from Marks & Spencer. But now and again I'd go to Simpson's Piccadilly, which was the inspiration for the Grace Bros of Are You Being Served?. My last, which was a special one, was gotten from Libertys, in which there were more types of wool to choose from than one could imagine. And I wish that we could bring them back — but as a garment not just for the well-heeled gent, but for all or any of us
https://www.google.com/search?q=simp...w=1366&bih=643
https://www.google.com/search?q=Are+...w=1366&bih=643

Old 02-22-2015, 07:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
They've remained a classic staple for women, varying in length and cut. Men, not so much. But as a woman, I can't think of a time in the past twenty years, at least, where I haven't had cardigans in my regular rotation.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
They've remained a classic staple for women, varying in length and cut. Men, not so much. But as a woman, I can't think of a time in the past twenty years, at least, where I haven't had cardigans in my regular rotation.
As someone who finds it difficult to find a blazer, cardigans are a staple layer piece for almost every ocassion. I wear them 5-6 times a week. I usually wear dress + cardigan or cardigan + blouse + skirt/ jeans.

Twinsets on the other hand never worked. I like to contrast the colors, and twinset tops always have high necklines not very flattering to busty women with short torsos.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
Once on a time, the woollen cardigan was an essential part of a man's wardrobe. It was affordable, universally-obtainable, lightweight, warming, and casual yet smart. A fashionable woman would wear one too. But hers was usually a constituent of the twin-set, which, in the smartest circles, would have been worn with a fine string of pearls. I miss them now
Why do you miss them? Twin sets are everywhere! They've been in fashion for years! Go buy yourself a couple.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
As someone who finds it difficult to find a blazer, cardigans are a staple layer piece for almost every ocassion. I wear them 5-6 times a week. I usually wear dress + cardigan or cardigan + blouse + skirt/ jeans.

Twinsets on the other hand never worked. I like to contrast the colors, and twinset tops always have high necklines not very flattering to busty women with short torsos.
I strongly dislike blazers and structured jackets, so cardigans have been my go-to layer for years. Long, drapey, fine-knit cardigans are my current staple. I like the comfort of big, chunky knit cardigans, but I'm tall and broad-shouldered, so they tend to add bulk. Mostly I wear finer gauge knit.

Twinsets are okay, and I wore them often to my job in the early to mid 2000s, but I'm more likely to wear the cardigan independently of the shell.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why do you miss them? Twin sets are everywhere! They've been in fashion for years! Go buy yourself a couple.
I assume the OP is a guy. There have been a few resurgences of cardigans now and then over the years, but for the most part, they haven't remained a style staple the way they have for women.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:17 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post

I could not agree more! If twin sets and pearls are out of fashion, I never got that message. My closet is stacked with them.

My husband is wearing a cozy looking argyle number as I type.

They are wonderful for both men and women. An easy, up scale look that can be had at many price points. Twin sets are practically my uniform three seasons out of the year. On Summer nights with a strand of pearls and a cardi draped over my shoulders, they look both casual and elegant.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:21 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
I love my cardigans.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:31 PM

Whereas fleece jackets or pullovers are convenient and can be inexpensive, that fabric lacks wool's magic. The latter feels good, makes colour seem to glow, and hangs so well that it appears to be sexy. More's the pity that many, maybe most of, current cardigans are made of knitted cotton. And those of that material are become so popular that the innocent may be ignorant of superior woollen ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty