U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 AM

10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Okay; having seen Demi Moore, I think I should clarify further... I don't mean I want to go BALD... Just very short in the back, on the sides, with a little more on top, but not as long or curly a pixie as Audrey Tautou's...

This is what I'm picturing from your description: http://www.short-haircut.com/wp-cont...e-Haircuts.jpg

I'm pretty sure you could manage to keep the sides of a cut like that trimmed with clippers. Most clipper cuts look better if they're longer toward the top of the head and shorter toward the base of the neck, which would be a little tricky to do on your own head, but if you had a willing friend, or strong arms and a good mirror, you could manage it. Then you'd just have to decide if you wanted to get the top trimmed in a salon every few months, or try to do that yourself. You'd probably want to just lift that hair up and trim with scissors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 AM

13,165 posts, read 7,403,965 times
Quote:
Well, *almost* shave it. I'm currently in my mid-50s with below-the-butt hair (originally dark, but nearly 1/3 grey now) and, as you can imagine, that's NOT really working for me anymore... Midlife crisis time... I see other women doing the buzz-cut thing or at least a very short pixie and workin' it with cool earrings and I am SO tempted, but don't want the upkeep. Does anyone out there cut her own (electric clippers)? Is there some stigma against it (am straight and don't want to be mistaken for anything else, no offense)? Am I just having a from-one-extreme-to-the-other reaction; a so-over-it syndrome? Would I regret it??? I'd never dye my hair dark to try to appear NOT to be greying, but I could see myself having fun with wild colors in a short cut if they were just temporary. Retirement!
I don't remember if I've already posted on this thread, so I apologize if I have, but I'm in a rush and don't have time to reread all the responses. I'm 38 with waist length black hair. I have to color every 8 weeks or so because I'm already quite grey. My hair is extremely thick and frizzy and I've been shaving the bottom half of it down to the skin since I was 12 years old. That's because it's so hot here in TX that I couldn't handle not doing it and I still have plenty of body with it shaved. People don't even know it's shaved when it's down. New hairdressers are shocked when I pull it up. I love surprising them. I am not heterosexual, but I am quite feminine, so only my girlfriend, family, and close friends know I'm not I recommend you go for it! I get a lot of compliments on it from strangers. The only downside is I need to get it shaved often, but gf does it for me with our clippers at home, so I don't need to run to the hairdresser every two weeks anymore.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 AM

7,090 posts, read 3,786,110 times
I actually DID get a very short cut once (after having dyed it for a couple of years to please a boyfriend who had a fear of aging; should've cut the BF instead, but that's another story)... It was a pain in the butt, and I ended up with four different shades of brown; just wanted to be done with it and start fresh. Went to a contra dance the next night, and not even one man asked me to dance... That's concerning!

Old 03-10-2015, 10:01 AM

72,719 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Quote:
Terrible! I have a long, thin face with the beginnings of jowls. Really don't have the pretty face or amazing bone structure that can carry it off. Not even the amazing earring collection. But am still tempted! Help...
Cut it to shoulder-length first. See how you like that. Take some time to get used to it. Then see if you want to get more radical. Do this in stages, or it could be too much of a shock.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:02 AM

I think it would FEEL awesome! I just have to be at the point where I truly don't give a flying what anyone thinks of how I look, and maybe I'm not *quite* there yet. Lucky are the gals who look edgy, yet still beautiful, with this cut...

Old 03-10-2015, 10:11 AM

72,719 posts, read 64,203,456 times
"Elaine" on Seinfeld had a very short cut for a couple of episodes, and looked fabulous that way! It was actually her best look, IMO.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:12 AM

Wow; you wouldn't think her -- and my -- type of hair (thick and wavy) would look good cut very short...

Old 03-10-2015, 10:22 AM

13,496 posts, read 13,978,373 times
if you want a short and sassy cut, do not do it your self or you will look DYI. pay the money and go to a salon. the problem with short hair done in a specific style is you will need a hair cut every 6 to 8 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows. as someone suggested start slow and work your way to the shortest that you think looks good. you may be surprised if you took your longer hair out of the claw, had some layers put in it how nice it might look. we all get in a rut with or hair and if all you have done for years is put it in a claw and trim it once a year then you are need of "a new do"

Old 03-10-2015, 10:24 AM

I actually developed a morbid curiosity as to how long it WOULD grow (beyond the waist is relatively unusual)... Sometimes I think I should keep it till retirement - a couple more years - but at other times, I think I can't stand it another minute, LOL. I don't want to be a slave to a hair salon; hence I wondered if it was possible to get a "cute" do with personal clippers...

Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,745,943 times
Thumbs up Disclaimer: I'm a dude.

A woman with a true (#3 or shorter) buzz cut definitely stands out. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that it is uncommon.

Quote:
I mean the "upkeep" of having to continually get it cut again to maintain the short style (as opposed to currently getting a trim MAYBE once every six months to a year now; I always just sweep my long hair up in a claw, so it's extremely low-maintenance).
. . .
I just don't want to continually have to go in and pay for haircuts; does anyone buzz-cut her own head? If so, how (no experience with home clippers)?
Unless you do a single length all around, it is not easy to buzz your own head. But that doesn't mean you need to make a salon appointment and pay big bucks just to get a simple 10-minute touch-up with the clippers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
if you want a short and sassy cut, do not do it your self or you will look DYI. pay the money and go to a salon. the problem with short hair done in a specific style is you will need a hair cut every 6 to 8 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows.
Personally, I let my buzz cut grow out until it starts to get uneven and shaggy (2 months max), then pay the local barber ten bucks to clean it up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or