U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:06 PM

8,557 posts, read 11,882,943 times

Advertisements

Ask for a #3 clipper cut (3/8 inch) and tapered around the back and sides. That will look good as it grows out for as long as you want to let it grow. I would consider that to be a "short" cut which is just a grade above a buzzcut by today's standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 07:34 PM

230 posts, read 153,184 times
Ok, when I was far more young than I am today, I did a head shave, as in bald save for a long shock of hair on my forehead/sides. It is totally possible to do your own shave well, in good lighting and make sure there are no shadows when you move your head back and forth in the light. I just used my Wahl horse trimmers so I'm no use in recommending what blade numbers to use.

What you might want to think about before you cut is your exit plan from a short buzz cut when you grow tired of it. I grew out about an inch of latitude at a time that was covered by a growing top layer so no one could see the ugly grow out. I did this until my whole head had grown out long enough to have a nice bob. Trust me, the grow out isn't pretty. It will itch like crazy too as it grows out.

A short hair style, if it is to look good, requires quite a bit of maintenance, do not be fooled that you can chop off your hair and be done forever if you care a modicum about it actually looking relevant and maybe stylish.

Perhaps go to a stylist you trust and have a consult about what would look best with your facial structure, as other have said. At the end of the day, its just hair and will most likely grow back! Good luck!

Old 03-15-2015, 07:39 PM

151 posts, read 103,029 times
1 time, back in Sept. 2011, I did shave all my hair off! Yeah, crazy, but it was a relief!

My hair, at that time, was so overbleached that I just couldn't style it anymore & I had to wear a hat A LOT!

So I said, "F--- it! I'm doing this!" and I did! My hair grows so fast, that in 4 months I was back to my healthy, natural brunette. It was worth it. Would I do it again, no, unless I was under Chemo or something. But no I wouldn't...

But I decided to keep my hair at a pixie style for now on. It keeps my hair at a healthy level & coloring is very minimal these days, thank goodness...I know by my page name is what it is, but I'm no longer blonde anymore.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:29 AM

7,090 posts, read 3,786,110 times
I can totally see myself saying "F--- it! I'm doing this!" the day I retire and prepare to take off in my camper van for two years of exploring the USA after being in lockdown for decades. Perhaps it will be an added security measure on the road, as I'll be so butt-ugly that no man will look at me much less threaten me??? The lure to completely shed the old and start fresh will be very strong, including where hair is concerned. I would likely just grow it out again, although the interim may be quite painful for all concerned. For people who color their hair for years to cover grey and then want to go natural, shaving it seems the sensible means. If it goes TOO far wrong, there are always inexpensive wigs available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or