U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 03:52 PM

7,080 posts, read 3,778,159 times

Advertisements

Well, *almost* shave it. I'm currently in my mid-50s with below-the-butt hair (originally dark, but nearly 1/3 grey now) and, as you can imagine, that's NOT really working for me anymore... Midlife crisis time... I see other women doing the buzz-cut thing or at least a very short pixie and workin' it with cool earrings and I am SO tempted, but don't want the upkeep. Does anyone out there cut her own (electric clippers)? Is there some stigma against it (am straight and don't want to be mistaken for anything else, no offense)? Am I just having a from-one-extreme-to-the-other reaction; a so-over-it syndrome? Would I regret it??? I'd never dye my hair dark to try to appear NOT to be greying, but I could see myself having fun with wild colors in a short cut if they were just temporary. Retirement!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 04:06 PM

39,014 posts, read 37,656,456 times
In my opinion, the pixie cuts look best on someone with really great bone structure. How's your jawline? And what texture is your hair?

My face is pretty round, so while I would love to have less upkeep, a cut that short it just not flattering on me.

I would ease your way into it. Just go collar length at first, and see if that's short enough for you.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:07 PM

Terrible! I have a long, thin face with the beginnings of jowls. Really don't have the pretty face or amazing bone structure that can carry it off. Not even the amazing earring collection. But am still tempted! Help...

Old 03-09-2015, 04:42 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,441,565 times
You can always try anything once. Go for it. It will always grow back out.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:47 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, *almost* shave it. I'm currently in my mid-50s with below-the-butt hair (originally dark, but nearly 1/3 grey now) and, as you can imagine, that's NOT really working for me anymore... Midlife crisis time... I see other women doing the buzz-cut thing or at least a very short pixie and workin' it with cool earrings and I am SO tempted, but don't want the upkeep. Does anyone out there cut her own (electric clippers)? Is there some stigma against it (am straight and don't want to be mistaken for anything else, no offense)? Am I just having a from-one-extreme-to-the-other reaction; a so-over-it syndrome? Would I regret it??? I'd never dye my hair dark to try to appear NOT to be greying, but I could see myself having fun with wild colors in a short cut if they were just temporary. Retirement!

You don't want the upkeep of a short hair cut but you currently have very long hair?
You don't want the upkeep of a short hair cut and you would never dye your hair to try and look younger but you will dye your hair wild colors?

None of this makes sense at all.
A short hair cut is much less maintenance than very long hair and in my opinion which only affects me, wild colors on anyone under the age of 12 is silly. I also think wild colors on anyone who is under the age of 12 should only have them if it is Halloween.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 PM

171 posts, read 159,049 times
Bone structure can help, but factors like personality, attitude and personal style also play a factor in determining if one can pull off a certain dramatic hairstyle. I have a round face and short hair very much works for me.

Jamie Lee Curtis and Melissa McBride are good examples of mature women who do not have perfect bones or jowls and yet look amazing with short hair. Melissa McBride has buzzed her hair in the passed and I loved it. It actually enhanced some of her outward femininity. (She plays Carol on Walking Dead)

I have buzzed my own hair once or twice in the passed. I'm not sure if that's the first immediate step to take, but I also don't think it's really necessary to ease yourself into a shorter style. I think just going short without going full on buzz would be sensible. Hair grows, but having it grow from a buzz might take a bit too much time if you find you don't like super short hair. I think it would probably be better to consult a professional, or at the least you tube, if going the buzzed route.

As far as stigma and stereotyping are concerned, I can't say that I've really experienced it, at least not in any sort of negative way. The times people question my sexuality doesn't have anything to do with my hair but is usually because they are trying to be inclusive and polite. A persona's presentation is more than their hair and if you aren't mistaken for a lesbian now, you probably won't be with short hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You don't want the upkeep of a short hair cut but you currently have very long hair?
You don't want the upkeep of a short hair cut and you would never dye your hair to try and look younger but you will dye your hair wild colors?

A short hair cut is much less maintenance than very long hair and in my opinion which only affects me, wild colors on anyone under the age of 12 is silly. I also think wild colors on anyone who is under the age of 12 should only have them if it is Halloween.
Not necessarily, definitely not always. When my hair is long, I can let it air dry and be done. With short hair, I often find it necessarily to run a curling or flat iron through my hair or else it tends to look too wild. I also find more need for product to maintain a professional appearance. Long hair is weightier some these short hair issues are often non existent.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:27 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,441,565 times
Here are some celebs with buzz cuts. They look VERY good. Who comes up with all these rules anyway. Sheesh! Like you said... have fun with it because life is short enough.

11 Female Celebrities Who Look Fabulous With A Buzz Cut | Page 3 | MadameNoire

So don't let anyone put the kibosh on your original idea.

Urban Dictionary: kibosh

Old 03-10-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

I mean the "upkeep" of having to continually get it cut again to maintain the short style (as opposed to currently getting a trim MAYBE once every six months to a year now; I always just sweep my long hair up in a claw, so it's extremely low-maintenance).

As for the coloring, I mean I wouldn't dye it DARK to try to appear as if I'm not going grey; also, it's futile to try to remain a brunette (the "skunk line" will betray you within a week; most brunettes go blonde instead and, besides, I don't believe in women feeling as if they have to hide the fact that they're aging, just like men; it's nothing to be ashamed of). Also with coloring long hair, the older sections will absorb more color, not to mention the expense, inconvenience, etc. However, I could see myself doing TEMPORARY color on a buzz-cut (and, at any rate, even permanent color would soon be cut off again).

I just don't want to continually have to go in and pay for haircuts; does anyone buzz-cut her own head? If so, how (no experience with home clippers)?

Hope that clarifies things, and thanks...

Old 03-10-2015, 06:44 AM

Okay; having seen Demi Moore, I think I should clarify further... I don't mean I want to go BALD... Just very short in the back, on the sides, with a little more on top, but not as long or curly a pixie as Audrey Tautou's...

Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM

14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times
I personally could never go that short or "buzzed" I am in my 60s now, when I was younger had very long hair, now it is to my shoulders and I do dye it dark because the grey looks terrible on me. My hair texture has changed and it is finer and thinner and doesn't look at great as it once did. HOWEVER - I wear my hair up a lot, and it looks really good on me in updos. Much better than if I cut it short, which I once did and regretted it almost immediately and grew it back out. It too have a thin face and slight "jowls" and the updos are uplifting to the face. It is far more maintenace to keep up a short haircut unless you really do get a "buzz." Why don't you just try cutting it to shoulders first and experiment with updos and see how that works? It is more versatile than waistlength and easier to keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or