U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:28 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times

Advertisements

Early 90s still had 80s-ish looks, including bright colors and baggy sweatshirts (sometimes cropped), esp. for adolescents and youth fashion. In 1990 and part of 1991, I was still in middle school, and people wore those tie-dyed looking Generra Hypercolor sweatshirts that had temperature-sensitive dye in the fabric (acc. to Wikipedia, those weren't introduced till 1991), big white high-top athletic sneakers like Reebok Pumps (which Dee Brown made famous in the 1991 Slam Dunk contest), short overalls, etc. It's tempting to think of the 90s as nothing but skater grunge, but it wasn't, overall. That was just one look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 02:39 PM

33,095 posts, read 26,911,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Early 90s still had 80s-ish looks, including bright colors and baggy sweatshirts (sometimes cropped), esp. for adolescents and youth fashion. In 1990 and part of 1991, I was still in middle school, and people wore those tie-dyed looking Generra Hypercolor sweatshirts that had temperature-sensitive dye in the fabric (acc. to Wikipedia, those weren't introduced till 1991), big white high-top athletic sneakers like Reebok Pumps (which Dee Brown made famous in the 1991 Slam Dunk contest), short overalls, etc. It's tempting to think of the 90s as nothing but skater grunge, but it wasn't, overall. That was just one look.
This is making sense. Middle school kids were still wearing that stuff.

It was out for college age people and adults.

I turned 23 at the end of 1990 and was in college. Bright stuff was pretty much out. Grunge, goth (carried over from the 80s), and techno-rave kid stuff (some of it was bright, but not like the neon 80s stuff) were in.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:45 PM

Yeah, adult fashion and youth fashion are two different things, obviously. You didn't see that many adults running around in grunge flannel unless they were, in fact, working grunge musicians. My 40-something parents clearly weren't wearing baggy JNCO jeans in the 90s, but plenty of teens were.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:03 PM

3,944 posts, read 3,548,660 times
The 90s were awesome! So hard to find wide leghed, and baggy pants today.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:06 PM

I read that JNCO is actually hoping to make a comeback. They started manufacturing jeans again, starting in Feb of this year, after closing their main factories in 2000.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:39 PM

33,095 posts, read 26,911,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah, adult fashion and youth fashion are two different things, obviously. You didn't see that many adults running around in grunge flannel unless they were, in fact, working grunge musicians. My 40-something parents clearly weren't wearing baggy JNCO jeans in the 90s, but plenty of teens were.
College students are adults who obviously don't dress like your typical 40-something parental units, either.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:05 PM

3,766 posts, read 1,597,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
Look, I was alive in the 90s. I remember jelly sandals, crop tops, and acid wash jeans. When I look back at those photos now I wonder what on Earth were we all thinking? At least the 60s and 70s offered some modern takes on classic pieces, but the 90s is a free for all, straight out of an acid trip, neon and floral printed nightmare. I saw a rack of printed ladies pants the other day reminiscent of Zubaz:

Product Detail | H&M US

Do you remember Zubaz?
I do. Let's not relive that decade.
You may skip over the nineties only if you agree to label the seventies as the decade of bad clothing.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:50 PM

41,037 posts, read 32,728,581 times
My husband just bought a pair of Doc Marten boots - doing our part to bring back the 90s.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:17 PM

49 posts, read 53,482 times
Doc martins were never considered fashionable. They were a trend like uggs.

Nearly everything mentioned here has already been brought back. Including grunge which came back last year.

Leotard tops with the crotches that snapped haven't come back though.
Probably because of the terrifying panty lines they would make or the fact that it wasn't that comfortable to have metal snaps jabbing into you when you sat down at times.

I liked the look of those tops but I felt it was much more practical to wear actual leotards as shirts then pretend ones. Especially since so many of the snapping leotard tops were crushed velvet and they made actual crushed velvet leotards.

If there was a pattern I liked I would suffer through the snaps.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:54 PM

17,589 posts, read 21,777,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
Look, I was alive in the 90s. I remember jelly sandals, crop tops, and acid wash jeans. When I look back at those photos now I wonder what on Earth were we all thinking? At least the 60s and 70s offered some modern takes on classic pieces, but the 90s is a free for all, straight out of an acid trip, neon and floral printed nightmare. I saw a rack of printed ladies pants the other day reminiscent of Zubaz:

Product Detail | H&M US

Do you remember Zubaz?
I do. Let's not relive that decade.

No. I was a young mother in the 90s. I remember LEI Jeans, Wearing a lot of things from The GAP - and buying clothes at GAP kids.

The 90s to me were kind of a 70s redux. But more toned down.

The decade I fear the most is the 1980s! The epitome of bad taste and fashion excess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or