U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 04:08 PM

555 posts, read 575,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
I miss the 90's.
As a guy... And I miss some of the female fashion just like what you mentioned.. I thought it was kinda sexy.
(See below)

I still dress with a hint of 90's grunge fashion.
...And I've been waring Doc's for about 25 years now
Bought 2 more pairs 2 months ago (Doc Boots and shoes)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/427490189603941142/

A shirt can be unfeminine, so can a skirt, a dress, a jacket, or boots.
Anything can be feminine or unfeminine depending on how and with what it is worn with.

And yes, they have been in fashion week, and have been considered part of fashion.

You're the one seem to have a problem with the difference between trendy and fashion
A trend IS fashion that happens at a certain time.

Grunge, for example, was a trend in fashion that happened primarily in the 90's.
Emo was a trend in fashion that happened in the early 2000's
Hipster is a trend in fashion that has been going on for the past few years
The cut off shirts you mentioned in Mean Girls was a trend in fashion that lasted less than 5 minutes in a movie.
That slip dress look was great! So comfy, too. Wish they still sold them....

I must admit I still have a thing for guys in plaid flannel shirts and that whole grunge-esque look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 04:16 PM

1,034 posts, read 986,816 times
Um acid washed jeans were circa 1987...maybe if you were down and out like me in high school you may have gotten away with wearing acid washed jeans in early 1991, but you would have not been caught dead wearing acid washed jeans in 92 and beyond, let alone jelly shoes that I remember my sisters wearing in 1983. Say what you will about the 90's, but damn I worked 16 hours a week in college and still made enough money on minimum wage to make a 150.00 car payment, buy gas, and I don't ever, ever remember having to ask my parents for money. Those were the days and I don't ever think we will pay 98cents a gallon for gas, again. Anyone here that is 35 or older knows what I am talking about! Say what you will about fashion from the 90's, at least we had money!!! I feel like the OP does about the 80's now that was what I look back at and think WTF was the hair, the clothes...just no, even the 80's had good music though!

Old 03-16-2015, 04:30 PM

241 posts, read 152,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Hell no, let the 90s return, sucks it's hard to find vi ntage 90s clothes. There's a store in town that still has a lot of old 90s stock Fila and la gear shoes, even has the original displays still up on the wall, from then. Sadly, none of them are in my shoe size.
I've fixed up 1990s PCs before, to the "specs" of those made in 2015. They were much more practical to use back then (well, Windows 95 and later), just with less speed and memory than those of today, thanks to the advent of microprocessors in the '90s. Things weren't so much less advanced than they are now, really. Windows 95, 98, and 2000 were certainly much better operating systems than 8.1. America's culture was much better than today's too.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:30 PM

14,560 posts, read 11,606,136 times
My dream was to have a genuine Mary Quant dress but I only had a replica one... what I did have though was the knee high whie boots... almost white panstick face and lips and black eyes... my hair wouldnt sit right in a Mary Quant cut as it wasnt straight like hers..hipster skirts too were in, with fine polo necks and Hush Puppy laced up shoes.. never quite got that fashion and never felt dressed up to go dancing.. so went between that and straight fitted dresses or A line dresses with cut away shoulders,god I had a fur coat....how could I ... at 17...

Old 03-16-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
Um acid washed jeans were circa 1987...maybe if you were down and out like me in high school you may have gotten away with wearing acid washed jeans in early 1991, but you would have not been caught dead wearing acid washed jeans in 92 and beyond, let alone jelly shoes that I remember my sisters wearing in 1983. Say what you will about the 90's, but damn I worked 16 hours a week in college and still made enough money on minimum wage to make a 150.00 car payment, buy gas, and I don't ever, ever remember having to ask my parents for money. Those were the days and I don't ever think we will pay 98cents a gallon for gas, again. Anyone here that is 35 or older knows what I am talking about! Say what you will about fashion from the 90's, at least we had money!!! I feel like the OP does about the 80's now that was what I look back at and think WTF was the hair, the clothes...just no, even the 80's had good music though!
The 1990s had the best cars too.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:36 PM

1999 was the best year in as far as the amount of good music released.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:42 PM

33,349 posts, read 27,149,647 times
Dr. Martens: The doctor is still in - Page 2 - latimes

Article about designers who use Docs on the runway.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:52 PM

555 posts, read 575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You are aware that Doc Martens makes more than one style of boot/shoe, right?

I assume not because you keep on with the passive-aggressive misspelling of the brand name.
This.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:26 PM

22 posts, read 13,551 times
Fashion is closely related to the culture and heritage of the community, society and the taste of the local people. Old fashion is sometimes caring even to the 90s where I live. I like your topic that has been discussing.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:37 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,508,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Agreed. All the stuff the OP mentioned was big in the 80s. Some places are behind fashion-wise. I assume OP lives/lived in such a place.
No, 90s fashion was way more "80s" than people are willing to admit. You might think 1997 is a recent time, but really it's not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81IwlDeV6c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or