Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 11:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessamichaels View Post
Leotard tops with the crotches that snapped haven't come back though.
Probably because of the terrifying panty lines they would make or the fact that it wasn't that comfortable to have metal snaps jabbing into you when you sat down at times.
There are plenty of stores that sell bodysuits. Most of the ones sold today have a thong style, so there isn't the problem of panty lines.

Lucy Paris Bodysuit On Blak Label Clothing
Bodysuits | All in ones, Leotards, Body & Bodies | ASOS
Necklace Bodysuit - Tops - Bodysuits | bebe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 12:01 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Doc martins were never considered fashionable. They were a trend like uggs.

Nearly everything mentioned here has already been brought back. Including grunge which came back last year.

Probably because of the terrifying panty lines they would make or the fact that it wasn't that comfortable to have metal snaps jabbing into you when you sat down at times.

I liked the look of those tops but I felt it was much more practical to wear actual leotards as shirts then pretend ones. Especially since so many of the snapping leotard tops were crushed velvet and they made actual crushed velvet leotards.

If there was a pattern I liked I would suffer through the snaps.
I really would love for the 90s bodysuits (the leotard tops w/ the crotches that snapped LOL) to come back.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:06 AM

74 posts, read 94,922 times
As for the 90s it was mostly gangsta rap and alternative/grunge. But honestly it seemed rap over powered all mainstream genres back then. Hygene was not at its best either. There was never such thing as minimalism though, not sure who started that rumor. Alot of talk about doing the late 60s over again. Woodstock '94, and Woodstock '99 (which was a disaster).

But as I said before this is all age targeted marketing. It would be nice if they dug deeper into fashion, like stuff from the 1920s, or 1880s, you get the idea. It is usually fairly recent decades (usually 30 years) all the time.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:29 AM

555 posts, read 804,309 times
Quote:

Nearly everything mentioned here has already been brought back. Including grunge which came back last year.

I liked the look of those tops but I felt it was much more practical to wear actual leotards as shirts then pretend ones. Especially since so many of the snapping leotard tops were crushed velvet and they made actual crushed velvet leotards.

Oh, no, no, no. They were considered fashionable. I had a friend who special ordered hers from some shop on Melrose back before the street became a big deal. They were NOT like uggs. But of course, YMMV. This could be regional, age-specific, peer-group specific, etc.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:01 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Sunday drive,

Yes there are alot of stores that sell body suits. But they are not the ballerina style leotard ones of the 90s. They are the business casual ones with blouses or turtlenecks attached so that the shirt stays tucked in nicer. Or lace to wear undeneaath another top. They are body suits that are made to look like shirts. These were body suits to look like body suits. That was in style in the 90s. Body suits that look like body suits as shirts are not in style now. The only body suits that look like ballet leotards now are actual ballet leotards.
Actually no, there are bodysuits that look more like leotards as well.

Cutout Halter Bodysuit - Tops - Bodysuits | bebe
Ganni | Ganni Long Sleeve Bodysuit at ASOS
Bodysuits | American Apparel
RVCA 'Up All Night' Scoop Neck Bodysuit | Nordstrom
Scoopneck Bodysuit - DKNY
Womens Black Bodysuit | Forever21.com | Ladies Black Bodysuit, Female Black Bodysuit

Old 03-15-2015, 01:03 AM

555 posts, read 804,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This is making sense. Middle school kids were still wearing that stuff.

It was out for college age people and adults.

I turned 23 at the end of 1990 and was in college. Bright stuff was pretty much out. Grunge, goth (carried over from the 80s), and techno-rave kid stuff (some of it was bright, but not like the neon 80s stuff) were in.
You're right. The disconnect apparent in this thread is probably related to grade/middle school vs high school vs college vs workplace, who you hung out with, and also related to regional differences. I was a young adult right when the 90s began in Los Angeles, and it was wide legged jeans, plaid, plaid, and more plaid button up shirts, sometimes with one of those bodysuit things (snap at the crotch, joy) beneath the plaid and wide legged jeans. For men, it was, weather permitting, henley tops, with a plaid shirt on top, jeans. Women also wore baby tees with slip dresses over them, grounding this ephemeral look with chunky Doc Martens. Keep in mind we didn't dress like that every day -- some days, it was something as simple as a clean Tshirt paired with plaid boxer shorts (like men's undies, but the hole in front is sewn up) with our school name printed on them. (Anyone remember those?) Or at least that's how a lot of us undergrads dressed. (I do recall the male MBA students wearing their uniform: khaki pants-blue button up shirt-with Cordura messenger bag slung cross body.)

I do remember the baggy sweatshirts, the jellies, and the neon colors ("Choose Life" a la Frankie Goes to Hollywood) mentioned in this thread, but those were from the early to mid-80s in my neck of the woods. By 1990/91, we were firmly entrenched in the looks I described earlier.

One thing I really liked about the grunge look: It didn't cost very much. I do remember fashion houses trying very hard to capitalize on this look by incorporating grunge elements into their lines, but I don't remember them having much success, and seem to recall this frustrated them. Thank goodness. Grunge was very egalitarian. I remember people getting cheap, way oversized workman jeans (like from the hardware store), cinching them up with a belt, and in some cases stapling(!) the hems just off the ground. I remember walking to campus in my wide legged jeans (no staples though), any old tee, and my favorite (only) plaid flannel shirt (tied around my waist, naturally), which I had purchased from the men's section at Sears. Good quality fabric -- so different from what passes as plaid shirts in the mall these days (though sturdy plaid flannel still can be had at some shops today).

By the mid-90s, a lot of us were digging stuff out of our parents' closet and mixing their 70s threads w/our 90s stuff. Looked very homegrown, very "real," and would've fit right in with today's DIY crowd.

I seem to recall at some point in the mid to later 90s, fashion houses pushed a very structured, 1960s look. Lot of shantung silk, I think. Very nice, but that's not how we dressed on the street. I'm sure somewhere in some high fashion areas, some people were probably dressed like that -- just not where I was hanging out post-college.

To each his/her own.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I think fashion now is pretty terrible.
90s weren't great, but better than the crap now.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:

You haven't been to forever 21. They have them and have for about a year.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Predicted response..."FOREVER 21 ISN'T HIGH FASHION!! YOU WON'T SEE THIS IN VOGUE!"

Old 03-15-2015, 12:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Predicted response..."FOREVER 21 ISN'T HIGH FASHION!! YOU WON'T SEE THIS IN VOGUE!"
Lol!

But forever 21 is where the on trend young people go to shop so it feels like a pretty good artbitrator of fashion to me.

And not that high low dressing is in Taylor Swift wil have F21 with Saint Laurent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty