Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 06:55 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessamichaels View Post
Doc martins were never considered fashionable. They were a trend like uggs.

Nearly everything mentioned here has already been brought back. Including grunge which came back last year.

Leotard tops with the crotches that snapped haven't come back though.
Probably because of the terrifying panty lines they would make or the fact that it wasn't that comfortable to have metal snaps jabbing into you when you sat down at times.

I liked the look of those tops but I felt it was much more practical to wear actual leotards as shirts then pretend ones. Especially since so many of the snapping leotard tops were crushed velvet and they made actual crushed velvet leotards.

If there was a pattern I liked I would suffer through the snaps.

Doc Martens are always cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 07:16 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
i liked the 90s fashion. the sports casual looks have been making a comeback the past few years, which I greatly prefer to the dumb "urban lumberjack" look that was popular 2005-2012.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
College students are adults who obviously don't dress like your typical 40-something parental units, either.
Adults who typically conform more to teen fashion than the more adult fashions commonplace in the working world. This still seems to be the case, if my college campus is any indication. What 18-23 year old college students are wearing is pretty much the same as what high schoolers are wearing, at least here.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Adults who typically conform more to teen fashion than the more adult fashions commonplace in the working world. This still seems to be the case, if my college campus is any indication. What 18-23 year old college students are wearing is pretty much the same as what high schoolers are wearing, at least here.
I guess it varies from one place to another. Most of my friends in college were shopping boutiques. Admittedly, I attended a rather wealthy undergraduate institution in an area known for having many universities in close proximity, though.

Then again, I never learned to conform and I am in my 40s.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:17 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Doc Martens are always cool!
I've always owned at least one pair since the 90s.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:29 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I read that JNCO is actually hoping to make a comeback. They started manufacturing jeans again, starting in Feb of this year, after closing their main factories in 2000.
Yeah, but they don't have a product line yet, and they aren't offering at least wide legged jeans(begging for mammoth legs return), then they are as avoidable as Levis, and the rest of the crap straight leg, boot cut, steve urkle pants.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:38 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
doc martens were at last year's spring fashion week. alexander mcqueen, celine, coach, givenchy all had versions.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Doc martins were never considered fashionable. They were a trend like uggs.
LOL My husband didn't buy them to be fashionable. He bought them because he liked the way they felt and looked.

By the way, Doc Martens have been around since the 1960s and have "trended" so often that by now they're could almost be considered a classic.

They first became "trendy" in the 1960s.

By the 1970s and 1980s they were being worn first by groups from punk rockers, to skin heads, to the police chasing after the skinheads.

In the 1990s, they became part of the grunge look.

And they're still around.

Urban Dictionary: Doc Martens

Old 03-14-2015, 11:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Versions? Do you mean boots? Boots that are not doc martins? That's like saying guess has their own version of jeans.
Doc martins are not fashion. They are ugly boots.
If you can get Anna wintour to agree with you that they are then I will apologise.

Saying doc martins were in fashion in the 90s are like people in the future saying "remember when crocs were in style"

Besides there is that stigma that goes with doc martins.

Nothing fashionable about that.
There's no such thing as "doc martins."

It's Doc MARTENS.

And they've been a very successful style of boots for decades now.

Most real people don't wear most of the clothes that are sashayed down the cat walk at "fashion week" by the way.

I've always thought Doc Martens had a definitely appealing look to them, on men. They look tough to me.

You can say they're "trendy" all you like, but the Doc Marten factory still makes, and sells the heck out of, the original 1960 "model." Fifty five years later - so I'd call that closing in on classic.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:41 PM

74 posts, read 94,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
Look, I was alive in the 90s. I remember jelly sandals, crop tops, and acid wash jeans. When I look back at those photos now I wonder what on Earth were we all thinking? At least the 60s and 70s offered some modern takes on classic pieces, but the 90s is a free for all, straight out of an acid trip, neon and floral printed nightmare. I saw a rack of printed ladies pants the other day reminiscent of Zubaz:

Product Detail | H&M US

Do you remember Zubaz? I do. Let's not relive that decade.
Most of these things they are calling from the 90s (like Reebok Pump, and high waisted jeans, and even pants like this) are actually from the late 80s.

This was the first UNoriginal deacde. All everyone talked about back then was how great the 60s was (mainly late 60s). So from 1988-1996 it was mostly this stuff in your photo for women and very baggy clothing for guys, the baggier the better. From 1996-2003 it was 60s looking stuff for women, but still baggy stuff for men. Then from 2003-2010 (maybe even 2011) it was 70s looking stuff for women (like butterfly collars) just look at some sitcoms such as King of Queens for that area.

Honestly fashion really has not changed as rapidly as it used to. Today all you see is old stuff brought back. In the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s it was original stuff (although I read on here many things from the 80s was stuff from the 50s and early 60s).

This is all due to the marketing corporations, they see young adults as those with disposable income, so they target them by bringing old stuff from their childhood for sale again. Just 6 years ago in the 2000s it was stuff from the 70s, like dark blue low rise jeans, boot cut jeans for men...in the 2010s its been stuff from the 80s coming in (like the pants in the picture) As you get older you will notice this more and more.

But my original statement is these companies purposely target people of certain ages by making stuff from their childhood. In the 2030s you will see stuff from the 2000s return, just to target those who are just children/teens now.

Last edited by Jello071; 03-14-2015 at 11:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty