U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 08:29 AM

4,279 posts, read 3,292,601 times

Advertisements

I know that the dictionary definition is probably something like, "of or pertaining to, women," but how has modern society interpreted that? What would a woman need to wear / know / do if she wanted to essentially be like the classic ideal of feminine? How would she learn these things? Do you think "feminine" is an ideal that can only be afforded by the rich in this country?

Here is my opinion:

"Feminine" or at least society's prescription of it, has gotten a really bad reputation in the last couple of decades. I personally think of a feet binding, bonnet wearing, hoop skirt and petticoat wearing Southern belle waiting for her husband to return from the Civil War, gossiping about their housemaid Emma's new ugly looking purse while drinking tea, or some decade or century appropriate variation of that.

Last edited by krmb; 03-15-2015 at 09:00 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 08:53 AM

262 posts, read 190,549 times
Femininity is being lovely, gracious, understated sexy, well-spoken, gentle, quiet in spirit "A gentle and a quiet spirit are precious in the sight of God." 1 Peter 3:4 Nurturing, forgiving, generous, kind.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:59 AM

42,565 posts, read 42,426,763 times
Feminine is wearing girly clothes, wearing make-up, toes and nails painted, dresses, cute purses, cute jewelry, etc.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:03 AM

13,159 posts, read 7,403,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
Femininity is being lovely, gracious, understated sexy, well-spoken, gentle, quiet in spirit "A gentle and a quiet spirit are precious in the sight of God." 1 Peter 3:4 Nurturing, forgiving, generous, kind.
I don't understand how religion gets pulled into everything. How do you know what God thinks about how women should be? I believe women should behave in whatever way enables them to function best in whatever their life circumstances find them in. Femininity, in terms of lacey, poofy, girly, makeup wearing false external views of how a woman should look, is not very useful for a woman's success or happiness at all.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:05 AM

3,419 posts, read 2,899,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Feminine is wearing girly clothes, wearing make-up, toes and nails painted, dresses, cute purses, cute jewelry, etc.
This.. ^^^^^

KMB501 - You still didnt give your opinion on this. You talk about "society" and such then bring up something completely out of the ballpark from the past two centuries like feet binding and petticoats, but you dont give your opinion of what it is.

Raena77 totally nails it with her post. THAT is what is feminine.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:06 AM

42,565 posts, read 42,426,763 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=rece...Q&ved=0CEkQ7Ak

Old 03-15-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
This.. ^^^^^

KMB501 - You still didnt give your opinion on this. You talk about "society" and such then bring up something completely out of the ballpark from the past two centuries like feet binding and petticoats, but you dont give your opinion of what it is.

Raena77 totally nails it with her post. THAT is what is feminine.
I'm not sure what my opinion on it is now. I used to think it was silly, perhaps the result of an idle mind, like the Southern belle example, but I've seen through experience that feminine women certainly do seem to have a lot of power. I think of the lovely sophisticated Parisian woman stereotype or the powerful supermodel.

Last edited by krmb; 03-15-2015 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 09:11 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,897,226 times
I think that "Feminine" and "Dependent Female" has come to mean the same thing in today's world. Not all women want to be considered "dependent". I know that I don't.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think that "Feminine" and "Dependent Female" has come to mean the same thing in today's world. Not all women want to be considered "dependent". I know that I don't.

Exactly! I think that's why I have such a hard time associating it with positive things. Oddly, though, most strong women are portrayed as somewhat feminine.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:37 AM

1,931 posts, read 1,160,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think that "Feminine" and "Dependent Female" has come to mean the same thing in today's world.
I don't get that correlation at all.

Feminine to me is just girly/womanly and usually has to do with how one dresses and presents oneself, mannerisms, etc. more than barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen type stuff.

A corporate woman who wears a frilly blouse and kitten heels, sits with her knees together and speaks demurely is more feminine than one who wears an oxford, loafers, crosses her legs ankle on knee and is brash. They can both be equally powerful, it's just a matter of appearance and habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty