U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,054,833 times

Advertisements

Are you into fancy underwear? Or you couldnít care less. Oh, I may start out with new underwear Ė but I keep them until theyíre waaaay past being in a condition most people would use, torn elastic or tattered sides for example. Bras, I keep until the elastic is so loose thereís NO rebound to it. And all the brands I buy are very basic: Cross Your Heart or Just My Size. No Bali, Wacoal, Olga, Lily of France, etc. Panties are always basic brand. A three- or five pack. Heck, Iíll buy a 7-day of the week pack. Whatever is cheapest.

No one else sees it, so I really donít care. But I know people who buy Vicky's Secret and expensive nice looking lace and fancy underwear. They say it makes them feel better. I think thatís kind of sad. But it works for them so whatever. Iím just wondering where most people stand on fancy underwear: fancy and expensive -- which I know arenít necessarily the same thing, because you can get nice LOOKING underwear at Walmart. Or do you go basic and cheap. Iíd never spend VS money on underwear. But thatís not even BIG money. Some brands are way more than that. OTHER than women who are big busted and may need to spend bigger bucks to get the support and size they need, I just canít relate to anything other than the cheapest options, that work and fit well.

ALSO, if youíve been IN a relationship or NOT in one, has that influenced your underwear choices. I DO notice that itís WOMEN who say, ďwell, I buy nice stuff, because of my husband.Ē I donítí think Iíve EVER heard a MAN say he cares about what HIS spouse thinks of his underwear. Of course that may be because SHE buys it, so HE doesn't think about it at all. And as long as itís the fit he prefers (boxer, briefs, or boxer-briefs) Ė he wears whatever she buys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 07:07 AM

13,157 posts, read 7,398,957 times
I used to buy those Hanes Her Way plain cotton bikinis years ago. I still have a few for that time of the month, but they rarely get used. Since then, I like buying lacy thongs and G-strings, but no way am I paying premium prices for a few square inches of fabric. I go to Ross or TJ Maxx to buy several pairs at a time. I can usually get them for $3/pair. Vistoria's Secret and the like are way overpriced. $15 or $20 for a thong? It's not worth it. I've always bought them because I like them, not because of what my significant other thinks about them. However, my gf has told me many times how much she loves my lacy undies.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:29 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,011,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Are you into fancy underwear? Or you couldnít care less. Oh, I may start out with new underwear Ė but I keep them until theyíre waaaay past being in a condition most people would use, torn elastic or tattered sides for example. Bras, I keep until the elastic is so loose thereís NO rebound to it. And all the brands I buy are very basic: Cross Your Heart or Just My Size. No Bali, Wacoal, Olga, Lily of France, etc. Panties are always basic brand. A three- or five pack. Heck, Iíll buy a 7-day of the week pack. Whatever is cheapest.

No one else sees it, so I really donít care. But I know people who buy Vicky's Secret and expensive nice looking lace and fancy underwear. They say it makes them feel better. I think thatís kind of sad. But it works for them so whatever. Iím just wondering where most people stand on fancy underwear: fancy and expensive -- which I know arenít necessarily the same thing, because you can get nice LOOKING underwear at Walmart. Or do you go basic and cheap. Iíd never spend VS money on underwear. But thatís not even BIG money. Some brands are way more than that. OTHER than women who are big busted and may need to spend bigger bucks to get the support and size they need, I just canít relate to anything other than the cheapest options, that work and fit well.

ALSO, if youíve been IN a relationship or NOT in one, has that influenced your underwear choices. I DO notice that itís WOMEN who say, ďwell, I buy nice stuff, because of my husband.Ē I donítí think Iíve EVER heard a MAN say he cares about what HIS spouse thinks of his underwear. Of course that may be because SHE buys it, so HE doesn't think about it at all. And as long as itís the fit he prefers (boxer, briefs, or boxer-briefs) Ė he wears whatever she buys.
I think society's perception is that men arent supposed to dress "pretty." Our underwear is functional not pretty. If a man does want to dress all sexy then the immediate social reaction would be that hes effeminate.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 AM

26,877 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Depends. I do both. If I want a pair that matches my bra a pay more. Other times I get the cotton pack from a big box. But there is definitely a difference in the cheaper ones. But Victorias Secret is poor quality. So do not use that as your baseline for premium. They have premium prices for shoddy construction.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 AM

692 posts, read 788,697 times
Quote:
But Victorias Secret is poor quality. So do not use that as your baseline for premium. They have premium prices for shoddy construction
So much this. VS is popular cuz it's heavily advertised and accessible. It's pricier and frillier than a Hanes 7 pack, but it's not upscale. Upscale underwear are brands like La Perla or Agent Provacateur. Regardless, except for a special edition diamond studded thongs or whatever, it all cost costs $3 to make and falls apart eventually. Some may prefer to wear or their partner to wear sexy underwear, but I have yet to meet someone who calls off the night or a relationship solely because the other person wears basic drawers. If it's nasty or full of holes that's another issue.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:54 AM

10,863 posts, read 18,892,348 times
I wear nice underwear. My husband appreciates it but that's not my main reason for buying it. I used to be too big to wear anything but the Just My Size panties and I told myself that when I could fit into something else, I was not going to own anything but pretty underwear anymore. So now I have a drawer full of thongs because that's what I like. Some came from Walmart, others from Ross, and others from Lane Bryant (yes, I was too big for even their stuff at one point). The Lane Bryant thongs cost about $15 each, which I think of as expensive. The ones from Ross were $3 each. I wear the Lane Bryant ones more because they match my bras.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:12 AM

11,882 posts, read 10,526,479 times
Ones without those elastic straps at the top. Skin covered by the elastic is full of rashes for me in summer and in such a case I have to apply ointment around my waist daily after showering.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-16-2015 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 11:34 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,054,833 times
Given that I'll wear underwear that's 'passed its prime." I certainly don't care whether my bra and panties "match." Although clearly some people do. I've always found that interesting.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:13 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,504,098 times
I just wear underwear I buy from wal-mart. I don't match them to my bra by the letter. If they're in the same color family, they're fair game.

I don't really have a need for fancy underwear. So I get comfortable. lol Same from bras. I don't where fancy or frilly bras either. Plain ones

Old 03-16-2015, 06:32 PM

10,543 posts, read 4,678,347 times
Basic & cheap.
Three variables that I value & consider: Expense, Touch/feel (of the garment), and Aesthetics (the visual).
Inevitably, there are difficult trade-offs I have to make, weighing one priority against the other.

Do I care how things look ? You betcha'. I like bold deep colors & groovy patterns and shiny looking things as much as the next person.
...However, my budget doesn't allow for much wiggle room-which greatly narrows the available product range.
There's little room for compromise when it comes to the physical feel & fit of the materials (fabric, elastic, underwire, etc.).
If I can't stand having something in contact with my skin because it itches or pinches, or won't stay in place, or fails to support & contain me properly,
it doesn't matter how lovely it is because it will decorate my closet instead of me (can't force myself to wear something that makes my body uncomfortable).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or