Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article about a retired local personality who said that he still dyes his hair, eyebrows and beard and will continue to do so. It doesn't seem to bother him one bit, and apparently he's not trying to hide the fact.

Many people that dye their hair, young or old, however don't like to admit that they do, try to hide it, and avoid talking about it. They treat it as something that's almost taboo. How do you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 09:08 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I don't really care what another person does with their hair color.
I know lots of ladies that die, highlight, lowlight their hair and change it up every year or so.

I also know guys that have grey hair that dye. I dont see an issue with it.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I dye my hair because I went grey prematurely (thanks Mom). I'm a 38 year old lady with waist length hair that is naturally black and when it isn't dyed, I look like Cruella DeVille; it's so grey. However, I don't dye as often as the box suggests, every six weeks or so, and it goes rather grey before I do it again. The chemicals are too harsh on hair to do it that often. There's nothing wrong with a person doing whatever he/she wants to look better, IMO.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I dye my hair as often as I feel like it, which is at least once a month. I don't care who can tell that my hair is dyed.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:41 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
I color my hair and have fun with it, I don't care who knows, and I talk about it. I am careful, and only refresh the color every so often when I really notice the grey coming in.

I think people should do whatever they want if it makes them feel good about themselves. Besides, if you make an error, you can fix it

Have fun with it!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:49 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I think there's a double standard... women are expected to dye their hair at least to their 70s, whereas men are looked down upon for it. I touch up my temples, but am lucky that overall I don't have much gray at age 48. My kids are only 7, so I don't want to look like an "old dad", plus I work out and weigh what I should, so I think being gray would be weird.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:14 AM

649 posts, read 570,303 times
I dye my hair every six weeks and I don't care who knows. I don't think it's a big secret anyway. One day my hair is brown and the next day it's red so I think people can figure it out.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:16 AM

685 posts, read 720,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I was reading an article about a retired local personality who said that he still dyes his hair, eyebrows and beard and will continue to do so. It doesn't seem to bother him one bit, and apparently he's not trying to hide the fact.

Many people that dye their hair, young or old, however don't like to admit that they do, try to hide it, and avoid talking about it. They treat it as something that's almost taboo. How do you feel about it?
I think it's goofy because this is driven by business to make us believe we need to do it. I started putting chemicals in my hair in high school. I remember my stepmother saying, "It takes pains to be beautiful." She left out the money part. I highlighted it using painful and non-painful methods, straightened it, and probably a bunch of other things. It was business-related for me back then. I feel I looked better.

When I left IT for life, I stopped dying my hair. Sometimes I see people who look old with dark hair and it looks silly. I have some friends about the same age. S leaves her hair grey (she's @70 now) and looks older and SB dies it every six weeks and looks younger (she's 70). I'm going grey and I have no need to continue to make me look professional or young. It's caustic and expensive. People still expect it and I won't buy into it anymore.

I wish our society would change to accept us for who we are and allow us to age without being caught up in the, "OMG, I'm looking old," bit.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:29 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
It seems like less women are dying their hair now.

Most men look foolish when they dye their hair.

It's not really anyone else business. If they want to look like that, let them.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:38 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
There seems to be a difference: with men silver hair is often considered kind of attractive, with women not so. Maybe the old silverback gorilla psyche at work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty