U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many times do you wear your dress shirt before washing it?
1 45 58.44%
2 16 20.78%
3+ 16 20.78%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,777,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I don't allow any more than five concentric sweat rings under the armpits - then they need to be cleaned.
My great-grandpa used to say, "I change my shirt once a month, regardless of whether it needs it or not!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I never wear anything twice, even if I just put on a shirt to go to the store and back, I toss it in the laundry. Might be overkill, but I just feel better in very clean clothes.

Don
I'm assuming you launder your own clothes. It was a 50/50, spit for my husband. If he wore something for an hour or two, he'd wear it again. If he wore a shirt for the day, it went in the wash or to the dry cleaners. He was a pretty hot, sweaty guy.

During the winter I always keep a couple of "running to the store" outfits available. I wear longies that time of year, so nothing is touching my skin.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:34 AM

8,623 posts, read 5,893,154 times
My nephew wears them once - brand new - and returns them to the store.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:12 AM

4,837 posts, read 9,233,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Mine go to the drycleaners after a single wearing. If you like brooks brothers shirts look at Charles tyrwhitt ctshirts.com they will go on sale in the 30-40 dollar range and offer slim and extra slimy fit
I just buy Brooks Brothers because their fabric is a little nicer than other brands that are readily available in my area, but I still need to get their slim fit custom tailored for a good fit. The "tailored slim fit" from Banana Republic is the only shirt I've found that fits me well off the rack. I'll give the "extra slim fit" from Charles Tyrwhitt a try next time I'm in NYC - I like their style and the price is right.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:52 AM

7,961 posts, read 6,710,786 times
I no longer wear dress shirts but I still wear cotton blend casual shirts that need to be ironed. If I wear a shirt all day long, in the clothes hamper it goes no matter what. If I wear one for a few hours then it gets hung up and worn at least once more. As an example. I played golf yesterday. When I came home the golf clothes (all wash and wear) came off and into dirty clothes hamper. I showered and put on clean clothes including a casual buttoned shirt that needs to be ironed plus wash and wear chinos to go to dinner in. Wore them for 4 hours. They got hung up when I came home. The shirt will be worn once again, the pants maybe twice.

To the poster about mens undershirts. If you are seeing their skin tone, they are wearing a thin, cheap material. ill fitting dress shirt.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,837,055 times
As many times as possible. I like to keep the essence of Ashley displayed for all to smell and enjoy. Ladies, you are welcome.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,360,642 times
I wash my husband's every time because he doesn't just sit in an office he is in and out of the car at different customer sites where the temperature varies, he is often having customer meetings or presenting ideas which after all these years can still be nerve wracking and then always trying to keep everyone happy, he owns a small business so maybe it's not the same as some of you who are at your desk all day in a temperature controlled environment.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:54 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,868,909 times
Only once, unless maybe I only wore it for a couple of hours or something.

Pants can go much longer though. They start getting dirty the second you sit anywhere, so what's the difference (IMO). As long as they don't have food stains or they aren't wrinkled. With jeans, anything goes.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:17 PM

17,621 posts, read 12,203,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I hope this is a typo, but if not, it's actually pretty funny.

Yeah it should have been slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I just buy Brooks Brothers because their fabric is a little nicer than other brands that are readily available in my area, but I still need to get their slim fit custom tailored for a good fit. The "tailored slim fit" from Banana Republic is the only shirt I've found that fits me well off the rack. I'll give the "extra slim fit" from Charles Tyrwhitt a try next time I'm in NYC - I like their style and the price is right.

I switched from Brooks Brothers to Charles Tyrwhitt. Some of the shirts and patterns were the exact same but I liked the fit better with CT. Each shirt comes with metal collar stays too so that's a bonus. I'm 6'2'' 185-190 and go with the extra slim.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,389 posts, read 50,582,032 times
I get mine at Costco for about $18 and if they last 6 months being washed after every use, I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty