U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 07:22 AM

2,725 posts, read 3,691,600 times

Advertisements

Mine started going gray in my late 30s. I think it got me respect ( "whatever you say "Mr. G.") I have been told mine is very handsome and ladies seem to like it. I am grateful that I still have hair. My father's father was going bald by his 30s. It is also really thick. Now other parts of my body, that is another story............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 07:50 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,098,679 times
Turn on

Old 05-08-2015, 07:51 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,985,638 times
I've seen a lot of very attractive men with gray hair or salt-and-pepper hair. I don't think it looks as good on a woman who may have gone gray at a relatively young age though.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:17 AM

14,649 posts, read 29,700,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I've seen a lot of very attractive men with gray hair or salt-and-pepper hair. I don't think it looks as good on a woman who may have gone gray at a relatively young age though.
I agree it looks better on men. My husband has been a "silver fox" fox for years now, and it suits him very well. I tried letting mine grow in and it looked terrible and very aging, so I went back to color and never regretted it. I will probably color the rest of my life - lol.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:28 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,985,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree it looks better on men. My husband has been a "silver fox" fox for years now, and it suits him very well. I tried letting mine grow in and it looked terrible and very aging, so I went back to color and never regretted it. I will probably color the rest of my life - lol.
I've been lucky enough to not have any graying yet (I'm 40). I think it's because I'm a natural redhead and redheads tend to keep their color longer, although hormones have darkened my hair and it isn't so red anymore.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:55 PM

1,260 posts, read 4,533,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I've been lucky enough to not have any graying yet (I'm 40). I think it's because I'm a natural redhead and redheads tend to keep their color longer, although hormones have darkened my hair and it isn't so red anymore.
Im 56 and had strawberry blonde hair that is a good percentange white! Reds tend to go white from what ive seen and read.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:03 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
I have an aunt who went silvery grey at a fairly young age (in her early 40's) and looked like some exotic mystical magickal fairy-tale character as a result. She has an impish adorable face, is petite, short, fine-boned, slender - with that pixie-cut of thick silver hair. Her hair's snow-white now, and the short cut is only slightly longer than she used to wear it. She definitely doesn't look like your typical granny, even though she's a great-grandmother now. Smart and sophisticated, and still petite and good-looking.

My husband's thick coarse black curly hair is mostly grey now, with bits of silver. And his short beard has bits of silver, grey, and streaks of dark auburn in it. I think he looks very handsome with these new colors. Even better than when I first met him 24 years ago.

I think it really depends on the rest of the package. The hair doesn't mean all that much as a single ingredient. Combine it with everything else - is the skin clean and fresh-looking (even if there are wrinkles) or is the person showing off a badly-applied mask of makeup in some futile attempt to cover up age? Because that right there will make an adult look OLDER, not younger, than they really are. A drop of foundation, a swipe of a blush brush, some lip gloss, and most women should be good to go just about anywhere, no matter what color their hair is.

Are they taking -care- of their hair? Is it frizzy and clearly abused? Is it unruly? Unbrushed? Yellowed or brassy from a lifetime of overprocessing? There's a lady in the neighborhood, I see her walking sometimes. She has hair down to her butt, and she's probably around 50. Her hair is mostly a dark brown - not black, but close to it. But she has a couple streaks of silver that start at her scalp and go all the way down to the ends. It doesn't look like she's done this with dye, and she does have other grey/silver hairs scattered here and there. Like she's just starting to go grey. Except for those two streaks, which are noticeable and very dramatic against the rest of her darker hair. I think it's striking on her. But her hair is always shiny and clean-looking, and she keeps the ends trimmed. It's mostly straight, has a little body to it though. I would imagine if she cut her hair to shoulder-length the lighter overall weight would be wavy (but not curly) hair.

I've also seen women who have yellowish grey hair, which I don't find attractive at all. It's not the grey that makes it unattractive. It's the hue. That awkward inbetween stage between natural blonde and grey. If I had that problem, I'd probably try to get rid of the yellow and brighten the grey.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:41 PM

15,572 posts, read 8,749,121 times
Depends. Are we talking about John Slattery? If so, gray hair is yummy.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:54 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,593,711 times
I started getting gray in my early thirties. I'm in my late 40's and it's pretty much on it's way all gray, and frankly I don't care what anyone thinks about it.

This was a few years ago. Basically same thing today.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-img-0915.html

Old 05-12-2015, 04:47 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,593,711 times
Oh by the way I find women with streaks of gray, especially on long hair tantalizingly beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or