U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:15 AM

5,072 posts, read 608,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Do you like gray hair on others? Do you think it makes them look, as we often hear, more distinguished, wiser, more intelligent? Would you even go as far as to say that gray makes them (as some in the media like to say) hotter/sexier?

Or does it have the opposite effect on you and just remind you that they are someone that has now passed the peak of their physical prime and are on a different course in life?

p.s. this is not about hair care; it's about perception in this day and age.
Depends on the person. Some look absolutely wonderful; others just look old. (I'm 61, btw, and less than 10% silver.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 12:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,516,146 times
Still have very dark brown hair at 68, but hair colour doesnt bother me one bit, whether man or woman.. its not important

Old 03-19-2015, 12:17 PM

442 posts, read 329,980 times
Default Not so fast . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Seriously?
You do realize most people get gray hair if they live long enough right? . . .

I personally think all of the standards, requirements and silly questions show that someone has already passed their "peak" in a good quality real life simply because they waste so much time and effort dwelling on something that cannot be changed without fake color being added.
I know more than one person whose grey hair started growing in with natural color again after regularly taking a certain food/supplement.

I'm not saying which, because I want some to still be on the shelves when I go back to purchase some for my health.

I don't care nearly as much about my hair color, as I do about my health.

Natural hair color makes one look healthier.

Grey &/or white hair indicates there's something wrong . . . something they are lacking, &/or some imbalance of some kind. Re-balance or add what is missing and the body begins 'generating color', again.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:30 PM

635 posts, read 396,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
No, grey hair is a sign of old age and disease. Not attractive at all.
So tell me, what's your secret for eternal youth? It must be awfully nice to be forever young.

I don't like grey hair on myself but I don't find it disgusting on anyone else. I think grey hair looks good on some people.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:54 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,572,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
I know more than one person whose grey hair started growing in with natural color again after regularly taking a certain food/supplement.
Natural hair color makes one look healthier.

Grey &/or white hair indicates there's something wrong . . . something they are lacking, &/or some imbalance of some kind. Re-balance or add what is missing and the body begins 'generating color', again.

It doesn't change "existing grey" and it's an enzyme catalase that supposedly breaks down the
hydrogen peroxide in hair cells.
Having grey hair is a natural process of aging and doesn't mean a person is not healthy. In addition
it's genetic too - like balding. So are all bald men unhealthy?

Do supplements that promise to prevent gray hair really work? - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Old 03-20-2015, 01:09 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,446,984 times
This is what came to mind when I saw 2Q's post....

Zinc & Gray Hair | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 03-20-2015, 04:40 PM

18,720 posts, read 4,711,150 times
I don't mind it on anyone else but, at 68, I'm starting to get grey at the temples
and it's spreading....I might dye it back to my natural honey blond color.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:49 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,152,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
...gray hair...Do you think it makes them look...distinguished...
It makes them look "extinguished." However, "better gray than gone."

Old 03-20-2015, 05:54 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,525,771 times
I found my first gray when I was in 6th grade. I used to pluck them as I found them intermittently until I was about 20. Thats when I started dying my hair all sorts of different color changes and highlights to the point Im around 48 and cant keep up with the roots, and having hair that didnt feel or look like real hair to me anymore.

I went gray and havent looked back. My hair looks and feels awesome. I personally love the silvery streaks that blend with my natural brunette. They look very close to highlights. It has changed the perception of people toward me. To me, if I continued to color my hair I would look like a 50ish lady with colored brittle hair. My skin has not aged great (some big spots), nor my teeth, so the hair suits me fine. Its beautiful and comfortable in my opinion. I'd guess Im close to half gray. I love the image it projects in a corporate setting. Im not there to be sexy.

Overall, men get more distinguished, and women just get old. Its an old tongue-in-cheek saying, but as for sex appeal, especially where money is concerned, there's a lot of truth to it. Overall, men and women do not treat each other equally when it comes to age. That is not necessarily a bad thing, and could be just reflective of the instinctual desires of the species.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:20 PM

72,852 posts, read 64,312,187 times
It completely depends on the person. Grey looks great on some people. Not so much on others. With some, when it first starts coming in, it can look elegant or distinguished, depending on the pattern. This is too individual a thing to answer categorically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or