Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 02:22 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I have lunch with a man in his 50s once a year, and I noticed at our last lunch that he has no grey hair. I looked at the lines on his face, then back to his hair ... back and forth. They didn't match. Afterwards, I realized that this conflict made me think that he is insecure. Given his job and family background, he shouldn't be insecure ... in a sense, I perceived the fact that he dyed his hair as a weakness.
Everyone is insecure about something. There is actually nothing wrong with being insecure. It is a normal condition. Those that act as though they are very secure and unshakable are just hiding their insecurities a little better than most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 03:39 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,082,890 times
I would assume that A.) it's more "passable" on men than women for whatever reason, and B.) it has more to do with the physical makeup of the person with the gray hair than anything else. If a guy is in his 50s or something and he's in good shape and styles his hair nicely but it's gray, and I would assume that a woman would find that on the "distinguished" and attractive side more than old and unappealing.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:42 PM

685 posts, read 720,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Do you like gray hair on others? Do you think it makes them look, as we often hear, more distinguished, wiser, more intelligent? Would you even go as far as to say that gray makes them (as some in the media like to say) hotter/sexier?

Or does it have the opposite effect on you and just remind you that they are someone that has now passed the peak of their physical prime and are on a different course in life?

p.s. this is not about hair care; it's about perception in this day and age.
I don't care what others think about my greying-hair (for me, it's weird looking in the mirror and seeing this chick (as I once was) with greying brown hair. In our society there's a dead set-up to believe grey hair looks bad and that sells products to cover it and it's complete with a double-standard in men and women. I accept it and happy I'm no longer adding heavy-duty chemical products on my head. It's sort of like death and taxes, it happens to all of us.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:44 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,722,628 times
I got 99 problems, grey hair ain't one.

All together now...S.....H.....A......L......L......O.......W!

Old 03-21-2015, 03:49 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Everyone is insecure about something. There is actually nothing wrong with being insecure. It is a normal condition. Those that act as though they are very secure and unshakable are just hiding their insecurities a little better than most.
In the context of the question ... whether people with grey hair appear more distinguished, wiser, more intelligent, and sexier ... I think that people that hide their grey hair appear insecure about their age, and people that don't hide it appear comfortable with their age. Grey haired people are not, by virtue of having grey hair, any more distinguished, wiser, more intelligent, sexier than others because of the colour of their hair.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:01 PM

496 posts, read 552,695 times
By the time of graying hair, most men are probably glad to have hair at all, LOL.

As for women, my opinion is that gray/white hair looks better than brittle dyed hair...if the woman is getting decent hair cuts which flatter her face. I happen to prefer a soft, wavy, chin-length "bob" cut on older women.

Too many women start chopping off their hair as early as their 40's, and as far as I'm concerned, instantly add 15 years to their appearance of age. What's worse, they give off the impression of "I just can't be bothered going to any trouble." This is not attractive. The worst is when straight-haired women have their hair all cut the same short length and parted in the middle, so it looks like a split loaf of bread on their heads.

Or they get a "pixie" style which they think makes them look younger (since it looks adorable on 22-year-olds) but which is quite wrong for an older face. Our faces change shape as we age, and I think women need some wavy hair around their faces to soften the angles and heaviness which tend to develop. The texture of older hair also tends to make the pixie cut look spikey rather than soft.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:06 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,463,946 times
It looks better on people with thick, dark hair, and some color to their complexion.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:52 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,714,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
It looks better on people with thick, dark hair, and some color to their complexion.
Bingo! I think complexion has a lot to do with whether a person looks attractive with gray hair. People with olive or dark skin or a lot of warm tones in their complexion can look absolutely stunning. I happen to be fish belly pale, so gray hair washes me out. Maybe I'm insecure, but I think I look much better with dark blonde hair than I would with gray.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I guess I fall under "Old age and disease...."

You can see the grey in this pic. Of course my cat is forever young.....
Your cat must dye her fur.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:13 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,337,660 times
I love grey hair! LOVE it! I always said I did not care about whether or not I greyed or not, just as long as I still had hair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty