U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:43 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,525,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
I DISLIKE grey hair. Some people think it makes one look more wise and professional. I disagree with that theory. It just makes you look aged and past your glory years.

Also. Most healthy functioning people don't start getting grey hair until sometime in their 40's.
Gray is genetic - nothing to do with healthy functioning. Some people are actually born with gray hair, and sport it throughout their lives, because of their genes - nothing more or less. My mother was fully gray at 45, my father didnt start turning gray until his 70's. I am leaning towards my mom, who took after her mother. Im not sad about that though, my father started balding young, and Im happy I didnt follow his path, lol.

I personally feel nothing screams 'past your glory years' louder than a fake hair color and bold brassy makeup on a leathery and hyperpigmented face, lol. Since its a miracle we even manage to get born these days, I would say each year I age is a 'glory year' at this point.

Im happy to be past my glory years. I dont miss getting 'wolf-called' randomly on the streets. I enjoy dropping something and having a nearby teenager automaticly move to retrieve it for me.

Gray hair can be very sexy to the right age group. Im not sure strawlike overprocessed hair sporting a shade that noone has naturally really achieves the goal people think it does.

To each his own, though. In the end, its about what makes you feel good. Doesnt matter if it really benefits you or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 09:30 AM

27,308 posts, read 15,070,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
emmylou harris - Bing Images

Neither I nor Emmylou agree with you, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Ive had a short stacked bob for a few years now, but Im thinking about heading in her direction with style.

Rinsing with vinegar, or using a product like Suryah 'Silverfox' can tone down any oxidation problems. Anyone that dyes their hair still has to deal with oxidation.

The 'blue' and 'purple' shampoos and conditioners? Just...ew!!!
I have loved Emmylou's hair for some time now. I did like it a wee bit better with some darker silver tones weaved in. Still - like it though.

Remember back in the 80's? Women paid good money for that 'frosted' silver look!

Old 03-22-2015, 12:41 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,319,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
emmylou harris - Bing Images

Neither I nor Emmylou agree with you, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

The 'blue' and 'purple' shampoos and conditioners? Just...ew!!!
. At 54, my hair has reached Emmylou's silver-white color. It started graying (from almost black/brown) in my teens. And I have colored mine every color in (and outside) the book! I wear it short, and love it.

I also don't give a **** whether anyone else likes it or not. Another perk that comes with maturity.

ConeyGirl52--I do like the Matrix shampoo for grey hair. It's one of those "purple" ones.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:54 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,862,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
I DISLIKE grey hair. Some people think it makes one look more wise and professional. I disagree with that theory. It just makes you look aged and past your glory years.

Also. Most healthy functioning people don't start getting grey hair until sometime in their 40's.

Some healthy people start getting gray hair in their 20's, is it genetic not a deformity.

If you don't like gray hair you are going to be very disappointed in your old age.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:02 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,581,069 times
I don't care for gray hair on men or woman. And of course that's just an opinion. People who like/love it, more power to them to "wear" it. For those who don't care for it, the solution is easy....just color it.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:43 PM

8,598 posts, read 6,119,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Some healthy people start getting gray hair in their 20's, is it genetic not a deformity.

If you don't like gray hair you are going to be very disappointed in your old age.
I started getting it when I was 14. I was unhealthy and had a very stressful childhood.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:17 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,305,973 times
I don't mind it on men at all; for one I find it doesn't detract from their appearances, but also I actually really dislike the concept of men, especially older men, dying their hair. To me it screams overly vain and fussy and not masculine at all, that's just me though.
Complete opposite on women - in the vast majority it's very aging and the woman looks much better with her hair dyed. There is however a minority that manages to pull it off - usually they have great style, sharp haircuts, and overall take great care to present themselves in a certain way and it works together. The worst is when a woman does none of that and just lets her hair go gray, shapeless, and just hanging there, when it's long especially it just makes me think of a witch.

Also I find when the woman is older and at the point of all silver/ white hair it can look much more natural to let it be gray, and it 'makes sense' with the face and overall. However in younger women in their 40s-60s who are just partially going gray it tends to be a lot more aging and have a connotation of not taking care of one's appearance.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:21 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,039,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

No I won't. If I find myself disappointed then I will just dye my hair. That's all.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:59 AM

944 posts, read 771,060 times
Richard Gere (Pretty Woman). Enough said.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:26 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,581,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I started getting it when I was 14. I was unhealthy and had a very stressful childhood.
A study backs this up on the stress end:

Stress really may turn your hair grey News in Science (ABC Science)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or