Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Overall, men get more distinguished, and women just get old. Its an old tongue-in-cheek saying, but as for sex appeal, especially where money is concerned, there's a lot of truth to it. Overall, men and women do not treat each other equally when it comes to age. That is not necessarily a bad thing, and could be just reflective of the instinctual desires of the species.
I couldn't disagree with this more. Some women look distinguished as they age. Others don't. Same with men; some look like a bomb hit them, and at much too early an age; others look distinguished. It's impossible to make generalities with something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 06:32 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
No, grey hair is a sign of old age and disease. Not attractive at all.
I guess I fall under "Old age and disease...."

You can see the grey in this pic. Of course my cat is forever young.....

Old 03-21-2015, 06:35 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Seriously?
You do realize most people get gray hair if they live long enough right?
One more label and "standard" that is silly and takes away more options for those who are trying to date.

I personally think all of the standards, requirements and silly questions show that someone has already passed their

"peak" in a good quality real life simply because they waste so much time and effort dwelling on something that cannot be changed without fake color being added.
Exactly. This reminds me of something I tell my patients a lot. I work in the field of ophthalmology, and my patients are forever asking me how they can prevent cataracts. I tell them, "There's only one way to prevent cataracts: dying prematurely."

Old 03-21-2015, 07:38 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Looking at the big picture

Someone once said.... "The aging process begins the minute we are born."

Someone else also said... "What me worry?"

Old 03-21-2015, 08:02 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Wouldn't it be great if we (collective we) all could just see aging differently? That we would look forward to gray hair, wrinkles and everything else that goes along with aging, and thought of those things as beautiful. We would be happier and happier as the years went by. So many other cultures REVERE their elderly and see them as beautiful and wise. Sadly not in this country.

As for gray hair, to me it's all about what suits each individual. Right now my gray is not at a place that suits my skin tone so I continue to color back to my original dark brown. Hopefully in a few years it will go completely beautiful light silver like my husband's and then I will quit the color.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:19 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
No, grey hair is a sign of old age and disease. Not attractive at all.
Grey hair is not a sign of disease. I think that it takes some guts for women to own their hair colour for life. I believe that hiding the grey can give the illusion that someone is about 10 years younger than actual age ... which helps with dating and in the work environment if dating partners and employers value malleable youth over experience and knowledge.

However, I can't help but notice that the texture of dyed hair is not like real hair. It's dry, brittle, and seems to go hand in hand with female balding. Which is more attractive in the long run: balding brittle abnormal coloured hair, or a full head of soft grey hair? Which looks healthier?

Old 03-21-2015, 08:29 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
I have lunch with a man in his 50s once a year, and I noticed at our last lunch that he has no grey hair. I looked at the lines on his face, then back to his hair ... back and forth. They didn't match. Afterwards, I realized that this conflict made me think that he is insecure. Given his job and family background, he shouldn't be insecure ... in a sense, I perceived the fact that he dyed his hair as a weakness.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:03 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I have lunch with a man in his 50s once a year, and I noticed at our last lunch that he has no grey hair. I looked at the lines on his face, then back to his hair ... back and forth. They didn't match. Afterwards, I realized that this conflict made me think that he is insecure. Given his job and family background, he shouldn't be insecure ... in a sense, I perceived the fact that he dyed his hair as a weakness.
Exactly! He is!

Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I told a friend that I would dye my hair when I turned 50 but I had to renig. I have strangers that come up and ask me if my hair is natural. It's the most beautiful Marilyn Monroe platinum. With the right cut it's gorgeous. I'm keeping it. Now if you want to talk about the belly fat I'm desperately trying to get rid of.......

Old 03-21-2015, 12:00 PM

179 posts, read 149,553 times
If my hair would turn that beautiful silver shade, I would immediately stop coloring my hair. Unfortunately, my hair will turn a dull blonde grey shade that I do not like. I'm not insecure or weak, I just don't like the color. I don't color because of what other people think, I do it for me. Some people look great, others don't, it doesn't really change my opinion of anyone; ultimately, it doesn't matter. Focus on things that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty