U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 02:32 PM

4,093 posts, read 3,386,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Thanks. Though I have no idea who Dr. C. George Boeree is, or how valid his info is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That was just the first link on Google that looked like a decent source. All the other results were from wikipedia, Answers.com, Yahoo Answers, funfactz.com, chicksandfacts.com, and other oddly named websites and blogs.
Quote:
Apparently he's a psychology professor at Shippensburg University. So ... um ... yeah ... not really his area of expertise.
Maybe this will help?

Human hair color

Blond (or blonde) hair ranges from nearly white (platinum blond, tow-haired) to a dark golden blond. Strawberry blond, a mixture of blond and red hair, is a much rarer type containing the most pheomelanin.

Many children born with blond hair develop darker hair as they age, with the majority of natural blonds developing a hair color of a dark "gunmetal" hue by the time they reach middle age. Pregnancy hormones hasten this process. Natural blond hair is rare in adulthood, with some reports stating that only about 2% of the world's population is naturally blond.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color

40 Flaxen Facts About...Blonde Hair

26.Blonde-haired heads have more strands of hair than red- or dark-haired heads. Blondes have approximately 140,000 hairs compared with 108,000 for their darker counterparts.

38. According to several surveys, men do not prefer blondes—at least not as serious mates. Men prefer brunettes as long-term partners because they view them as more reliable and steady

40 Flaxen Facts about Blonde Hair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 02:43 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,533,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Maybe this will help?

Human hair color

Blond (or blonde) hair ranges from nearly white (platinum blond, tow-haired) to a dark golden blond. Strawberry blond, a mixture of blond and red hair, is a much rarer type containing the most pheomelanin.

Many children born with blond hair develop darker hair as they age, with the majority of natural blonds developing a hair color of a dark "gunmetal" hue by the time they reach middle age. Pregnancy hormones hasten this process. Natural blond hair is rare in adulthood, with some reports stating that only about 2% of the world's population is naturally blond.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color
Well, I was hoping for a source that wasn't Wiki, especially since the supporting source for that particular statement is the aforementioned psychologist, Dr. Boeree.

That second link might be more useful. I'll have to look into that cited source.

But thanks.

ETA: Looks like that source cited in the second link is another professor in an unrelated field. "Natalia [Ilyin] is a professor of design at Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle, and teaches design history, semiotics, design theory, criticism and "Design for Social Change" there. She is also founding faculty for the MFA in Graphic Design at Vermont College of Fine Arts. In 2012 she earned an Award for Teaching Excellence at Cornish College."

I'm not feeling so confident about that 2% statistic.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:08 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,519,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Ask to verify that the carpet matches the curtains... if nothing else, you'll spark a laugh (and perhaps a slap but if you're into that.... )
I don't want to offend women at all, period. Men, I can get rough on and turn it up a couple notches. But my heart tells me going tough on a woman, whatever the situation is a sin. Hence, I refuse to defend myself against females.

Now back to the topic. It looks like the distinction is not a rudimetry one, and in fact sort of complicated.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:00 PM

11,013 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
I'm not feeling so confident about that 2% statistic.
Are you thinking it should be higher? If you think about where the majority of the world's population lives, its not in regions where people are known for their natural blond hair. 75% of the world lives in either Asia or Africa. Blonds are most common in Europe and North America, which is less then 20% of the population, but even then not many adults are naturally blond.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Yep. Plus natural blondes tend to have blue eyes, sometimes green. Dark hair near the roots is what often also makes unnatural blonde hair obvious. Skin tone along with the shade of any freckles or moles also are clues of whether a person is a bleached blonde.
I'm a natural blond... I don't have blue or green eyes... Are you saying blonds don't have feckles/moles?I have moles... lots of moles... Very few freckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
MOH is a natural blonde, where ever there is hair, who dyes the carpet below and such as MOH looks like pre-teen without coloring it [it is so blonde it doens't show like my blonde streak}, so colors it to "look like a normal adult" {at 56} in a sandy brown too.
I read MOH is some abbreviation for mom at first, and was thinking you and your mom must be really close if she discusses dying her "carpet" with you. Took a minute to figure out that you were probably saying My Other Half...

Is the difference between a "normal adult" and a preteen really the color of their hair? I would think your wife's body is that of a woman's no matter the hair situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Very few adult women are blonde, and those who are have Northern European complexions and features. Bad dye jobs make the hair yellow or orange (Katherine Heigl, Emma Stone). Good dye jobs still have lots of little streaks of color that you can see close up. If she's tan or has dark eyes, she's probably not a natural blonde, although the beachy types can have some sun bleaching going on.
I tan very easily, and I'm not the beachy type. I don't think that is a good indication of someone's true hair color.

I'm pretty sure Emma Stone is a natural blond, although she colors her hair so often that its not necessarily her natural blond color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Just curious if anyone can tell if this blonde hair is natural or not. I know the answer and will tell, but would like to see some guesses first.
I don't see a blonde...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciBeaucoup View Post
When I see a woman with really blonde hair I wonder if it's dyed because it's so light, then if she has kids and they have really blonde hair like her, I think it may be real. But again she may be natural but just dyes it because it has become darker. And if a mother has blonde hair but the father has dark hair that obviously would make the kids not so blonde but the mother may still be blonde herself.
So really there is no definite way of telling lol.
Eh, my parents both have dark hair (as well as my grandparents) and yet I have blond hair. My sister has dark hair, yet has two kids with very blond hair. My cousins have blond hair, very blond hair as children, even though their dad has dark hair.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:15 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,401,318 times
For those of you who don't see any blonde in the picture I posted, do you see any blonde in these pictures?

https://www.google.com/search?q=plat...2&ved=0CCYQsAQ

Old 03-19-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
For those of you who don't see any blonde in the picture I posted, do you see any blonde in these pictures?

https://www.google.com/search?q=plat...2&ved=0CCYQsAQ
Yes, but I didn't notice anyone with platinum blonde hair in your first picture. Maybe it was the lighting in the picture. If its the woman on the right you are referring to, her hair looks white with some shades of light and dark grey. The other woman's hair looks redish brown.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:29 PM

23,902 posts, read 31,123,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I still can tell. There just aren't that many natural blondes. Even if you have if colored "properly," you are still going to have roots. And I can just tell anyway because I know what true blonde hair looks like. My son had white-blond hair when he was a baby and toddler, and has always been blond. He is 25 and is still blond. His eyebrows are blond. His arm and leg hair is blond. I have no idea if the carpet matches the drapes - he's my son and I don't wanna know!

I guess I'd be considered a natural blonde too, although my hair has red tones in it, so strawberry blonde. An hour outside on a sunny, windy day and my hair is white-blonde/streaked, but it keeps highlights all year anyway. When I used to get my hair cut they would say "Are you sure you want to cut all this off?" and I would say "Yep, there's more where that came from!" I have never in my life colored it, but I am told all the time "People pay a lot of money to get hair that looks like that." I have brown eyes. I don't think eyes have much to do with hair color. That is a separate gene from hair color. My son's eyes are pale blue, though.
Oh I don't think you can, not all the time. My arm hair is white. My eyebrows are light - I pencil them darker. Natural blondes usually have blue eyes...that is why I mentioned it.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:18 PM

6,448 posts, read 6,457,302 times
For some crazy genetic reason my daughter was born with a full head of dark brown hair...until they placed the cap on her little head and I focused on her face I didn't think she was mine...lol....everyone said it would fall out and blonde would replace it...but what happened was at about 4 months it started to come in blonde at her roots...so she was left with a reverse look of a bad dye job...and I never cut my kids hair until they are a year...so my poor baby had some serious blonde roots!!!

Old 03-19-2015, 07:35 PM

332 posts, read 692,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
So, how do you find out if someone is naturally blonde or dyeing their hair blonde. Any signs to lookout for ?
Most women, even blondes, dye there hair now. Not everyone's natural hair color complements their skin color or face features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty