U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 04:36 PM

34,549 posts, read 42,724,437 times

Advertisements

I am of the age when linen was sent to the cleaners and came back perfectly pressed, so stiff it could stand by itself, but within 15 minutes of wearing it looks like I slept in it.

I have noticed that a lot of people don't iron linen at all, and just put it on wrinkled (mostly gay guys in Key West). I live in a hot, humid climate, and I am leaning towards getting with the wrinkled out of the dryer program.

What's the latest scoop on wearing linen? I am thinking that at my age, I can do whatever I darn please, but I don't want to wind up on "Folks Who Need to get a Clue" on Youtube.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 05:04 PM

36 posts, read 27,767 times
I'm personally not a fan of wrinkles, so it's no wonder I only own one linen skirt. It drives me batty to have it wrinkled but I don't tend to have the time to iron it so it usually winds up back stuffed in the drawer. I hate ironing though and I just bought a steamer which I think will be a little less annoying to handle, so hopefully soon I'll be able to wear my skirt again. I don't tend to see people wearing linen as it is, but I know when my fiance does he's pretty careful about ironing it first. If he didn't I think we'd both think it looks sloppy.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:14 PM

1,100 posts, read 724,611 times
I have a linen shirt that I really like, but it gets horribly wrinkled while I'm wearing it. I think that looks sloppy so I hardly ever wear it. Very annoying! I guess if it doesn't bother you, just wear it. At least you'll be cool & comfortable.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:24 PM

34,549 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
I have a linen shirt that I really like, but it gets horribly wrinkled while I'm wearing it. I think that looks sloppy so I hardly ever wear it. Very annoying! I guess if it doesn't bother you, just wear it. At least you'll be cool & comfortable.
Exactly! So many tops these days are kind of crinkled, that I am thinking the INTENTIONAL look of wrinkled linen out of the dryer would look no worse than ironed linen after wearing.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:00 AM

16 posts, read 9,853 times
Yes original poster, your are right people don't iron linen oftenly, because lilen is made from special type of fabric , if we do iron on that fabric then wrinkles will not remove so its better not do iron on linen.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 PM

555 posts, read 571,200 times
I don't iron my linen. I hang dry linen and it comes out mostly wrinkle-free. It's not starched stiff, mind you, but then, that's not how I want my linen to look. Linen is meant to look wrinkled. It's an easy, elegant fabric -- how it drapes is part of its charm. In a hot, humid climate, linen is a given as you know, and that slightly tousled look is just part of the package.

Wrinkle free long term generally means hot and stifling -- e.g. wrinkle resistant cotton is treated to resist wrinkles, but that same treatment makes you feel like your cotton is not cotton but cotton coated in plastic. HOT -- at least when you're in a hot/humid place. So I'm afraid you'll have to choose. I suppose if you go for 55%/45% cotton/linen, you might get fewer wrinkles. But then you'd be sacrificing a bit of the comfort you get when wearing 100% linen.

Don't worry about what other people think. And the folks who create those videos are just sad people who get a kick out of being mean. Why create more work for yourself (ironing) if only to please those guys? They can't be pleased. They will always find something else to make fun of. Live your life, wear your linen however you want, no matter what your age. You always look best when you feel best. Stay cool!

Old 03-22-2015, 01:07 PM

27,492 posts, read 17,642,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am of the age when linen was sent to the cleaners and came back perfectly pressed, so stiff it could stand by itself, but within 15 minutes of wearing it looks like I slept in it.

I have noticed that a lot of people don't iron linen at all, and just put it on wrinkled (mostly gay guys in Key West). I live in a hot, humid climate, and I am leaning towards getting with the wrinkled out of the dryer program.

What's the latest scoop on wearing linen? I am thinking that at my age, I can do whatever I darn please, but I don't want to wind up on "Folks Who Need to get a Clue" on Youtube.
I have a few linen pants that I love because of the hot climate. Guilty..... out of the wash I lay them flat and "smooth" them with my hands. Sometimes before I put them on I spray with water and shake them out. I don't iron..... maybe I should... but it ain't going to happen unless someone does an intervention. I always try to pair them with something that has NO wrinkles, fitted tank or tee.... to help convey the "I'm not a slob... this is a 'look'" Nice shoes, jewelry..

They always wrinkle anyway, I just consider it efficient.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-22-2015, 09:11 PM

2,725 posts, read 3,691,600 times
I like to wear linen pants and, yes , they do look wrinkled. Wife doesn't like them because of that. They come back from the cleaners pressed but after wearing them in the car and sitting for a while, they are wrinkled. However, they are so cool to wear in hot summer months. I have a silk sport coat which I like as well. It is not quite as wrinkled as the linen.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:16 PM

6,449 posts, read 6,458,930 times
I hate linen for that reason...I know most people realize it...but I just hate looking wrinkled...well except at 53 I look wrinkled too!

Old 03-23-2015, 02:13 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,720,764 times
Lol!!! Me, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or