U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 07:39 PM

221 posts, read 163,322 times

Advertisements

I have had bangs for most of my life. As a child, they were thick cut and straight across (I was a child of the 90s). As I got older, I wore my bangs thinner, but they were still there, and still straight across. I would often go through periods of time where I would get so sick of the bangs and decide to grow them out, in which case I simply started parting my bangs with the rest of my hair. This never lasted long, they would usually get as long as maybe my ear and I would get so sick of them falling in my face that I would get them cut back to what they were before.

I am now looking for a style of bangs that suits me. I have probably what is considered a long/oval face, and because of this, a fairly large forehead. I'm really leaning towards attempting a side swept bang. I haven't trimmed or cut my bangs since right before New Years Eve, so they are at an annoying length right now that is always in my eyes if I try to wear them straight down like I'm used to.
Advice or tips on how to start making them lay side swept? Do I need to see a stylist and get them cut in a specific way to look good in the side swept style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 PM

10,870 posts, read 18,968,919 times
I just part my hair where I want the sweep to start, then use the flat iron to pull my bangs over to the side, with a little twist at the ends so that they point backwards, not slide forward into my eyes. My bangs hang past my nose if I pull them straight forward. Any shorter and they just end up in my eyes.

I cut my hair myself, just put the part that I want to be bangs into a ponytail with the elastic at the top center of my forehead, then pull the tail down to the length that I want and cut it. It makes layers without a lot of effort.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 PM

11,137 posts, read 6,626,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
Advice or tips on how to start making them lay side swept? Do I need to see a stylist and get them cut in a specific way to look good in the side swept style?
You can see a stylist or if you feel comfortable cutting your own hair, you can look up some YouTube videos. But for them to lay properly, you'll want them cut at more of an angle with some layers rather then straight across.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:14 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,039,036 times
One trick I learned when I was sporting bangs was to comb them in the opposite direction first, then cut @ angle, so when you release, they will sweep back to the side of your preference. (Hard to explain I guess, there are tutorials on youtube.)

Old 03-20-2015, 11:26 AM

35,827 posts, read 39,487,101 times
When I grow my bangs out to side-sweep them (doing so now, after a few years with a blunt bang), I just let them follow my natural part, and trim or have them trimmed at a slight angle that follows the sweep. And I reconcile myself that there is going to be a period of awkward weeks where they are falling forward annoyingly as they grow out. I tend to wear a hat or headband to keep annoyance down during that stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty