U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 AM

17,579 posts, read 21,763,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'll presume this chump poseur pastor in the video as a head honcho of a church pays no taxes yet criticizes the first lady for spending money to look good.In his opinion should our first lady dress like a pauper?

Exactly. And I wonder what kind of a tax deductible mansion he lives in? What luxury cars he drives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 11:45 AM

18,794 posts, read 13,586,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Four things I've never understood:

1) The all-consuming partisan obsession that drives certain people to dislike and publicly criticize relatives of politicians they dislike. She's not the President. She holds no office. Her 'offense' is that she chose to marry a man from the 'other' party.

2) The inability to see that choosing to attack the family members of politicians does nothing but make you look profoundly petty. It's only purpose is to gratify that base partisan reflex within you.

3) The bizarre disconnect in which you think only the relations of those officials whom you dislike politically do things worthy of your criticism.

4) The political fixation which compels you to start threads in such a-political places as Fashion & Beauty in which you demonstrate that through your eyes, every last topic is a partisan political issues.

You're not alone of course, either now or in time. There were plenty of liberals who were just as petty regarding Laura Bush. Do you remember them? Now look in the mirror. You are just as small as they were. Very, very small.
I had to read to #4 to figure out who "you" is. I wasn't sure if you meant me, or Pastor Manning. Going by #4, you meant me. You didn't even read the post did you? I'm not attacking Michelle Obama. I think she's beautiful, articulate, and graceful. Lighten up, Unsettomati.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:33 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,281,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Exactly. And I wonder what kind of a tax deductible mansion he lives in? What luxury cars he drives?
Believe it or not, he actually doesn't live in a mansion and drives a regular, older model car. His house is around the corner from the church (a Harlem brownstone, which he's owned for some time and so didn't pay millions to own). Say what you want about the man (he certainly has some crazy, hate-filled preachings), but he's a far cry from charlatans like Creflo Dollar, who is embarking on a $60 million private jet fundraising campaign.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:38 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,850,739 times
I don't think she pays for those clothes. I think the designers would pay her to wear them if they could.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:47 PM

2,726 posts, read 3,693,210 times
Hmmmmm...... I wonder if the same people that are defending Mrs. Obama are the same ones that said awful things about Nancy Reagan??? Hypocrites......

Old 03-22-2015, 04:47 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,538,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Hmmmmm...... I wonder if the same people that are defending Mrs. Obama are the same ones that said awful things about Nancy Reagan??? Hypocrites......
I've never said anything awful about Nancy Reagan. I always thought she was a very classy lady.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:10 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,517,867 times
and Famous designers Lend Clothes to Famous women just to get the recognition as for the "Pastor" hahahahaha what a joke..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
He clearly hasn't been paying attention to Michelle Obama's wardrobe. She re-wears clothing all the time. And also wears stuff for mall stores.

And let's be real, all the first ladies wore expemsive clothes too, Michelle Obama is not a special case.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:19 PM

72,742 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TrXE7NbYpU

First off, I disagree with Pastor Manning on his assessment of First Lady Michelle's looks. She is always gorgeous IMO. Beyond that, Pastor Manning does have some interesting points to make. First Lady Michelle seems to be a fan of couture who thinks nothing of laying out $12,000 for a dress that will doubtless be worn only once.

The Painful Irony of Michelle Obama's $12,000 Dress - Katie Pavlich
That's a cr@p article at that link. Here's one of the comments it makes;

But it's difficult to take these positions seriously when the people taking them engage in the very lifestyles they claim to abhor. Take for example Michelle Obama, who wore a $12,000 Carolina Herrera designer gown to the state dinner earlier this week.

No one said anything about "abhorring" a high-end lifestyle. What Ms. Obama wears has nothing to do with restoring a semblance of the US' progressive tax system. Back when the upper-middle class paid 65-75% tax, they still wore fashionable clothes. Not $12,000 gowns, but they had luxuries, and they supported the expansion of the country's infrastructure, public universities, federal grants for students of higher education who couldn't afford tuition, medical research, and so much more, at the same time. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. On the other hand, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into how Ms. Obama acquired her gown, and what budget it came from, if she paid for it at all. She may not have.

The author of the article has an obvious axe to grind, and he's not even very smart about making his point. If the OP or others want to turn this into a political issue, they should move the thread to the politics forum. This is ridiculous.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:21 PM

72,742 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Defending her for what? For wearing a dress? What did she do wrong? That hasn't been explained. In order to be defended, first you need to be accused of doing something wrong.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 PM

1,196 posts, read 850,717 times
At least she didn't wear open shoulders this time. But considering he height of the French President, it would be better to wear something even less revealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or