Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2017, 12:33 PM

14,818 posts, read 11,930,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
That boggles my mind. You've never felt it was making you less attractive?

If that's an attempt at reasoning, it's terrible - > correlation/causation. I could play the same game - I was unattractive in my early teens and to my knowledge then had more female admirers than I do now. I never said women won't date balding guys, but virtually all of them would be more interested in the version of the man with a full head of hair.
I started losing my hair at quite a young age, I was mortified! It took a while to come to terms with it, I shaved my head because there was little choice of what I could do and as soon as I did for some reason women became MUCH more interested in me. Now I am middle aged and am often being told I look a lot younger than my advancing years, because (so women tell me) as you get older being bald takes years off of you. Now I live with my Mrs who forbids me to grow my hair, she says I look much better without it and only last week I showed a couple of young, early 20's ladies I work with pictures of me in the 90's when I was in my 20's and with my hair and the BOTH said I look much better without it! In fact they used the term sexier which was even better! Hair transplant? No way, now I thank my lucky stars it started to fall out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 03:39 PM

6,610 posts, read 4,833,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Most men dont get hair transplants because they are crazy expensive. Unless you dont do your due diligence and research and go to someone who is "cheap", and, in turn, potentially ruin your life. I've seen and read enough horror stories about this to know what I'm talking about, believe me. I have an online friend who had something done called a "hair lift", also known as "The Flap", where hair bearing skin from the back is cut (but not removed) and then twisted and sewn onto the front of the scalp, making your hair in back stretch upwards, along with your ears, to say nothing of horrible scars you are left with in back.

And then the skin dies from lack of blood flow and you are left with horrible scar tissue on the front of your scalp. Then the rest of your hair falls out and your scars are exposed.

That is worst case scenario. A slightly less awful result is the pluggy appearance. Incompetent doctors still perform surgeries with sub par results. These results are often compromised by an assembly line process that values profits and speed of surgery over patient satisfaction.

The good news is FUE is quickly replacing F.U.T. (the kind that leaves a linear scar in back) as the preferred method of surgery. If you don't know the difference between these two and you are considering surgery you will regret your decision later in life, guaranteed. Not that the latter is particularly harmful, its just that you are ignorant of what you are about to decide on.

And, doctors are now harvesting non scalp hair sources for those NW7 patients with very little donor available. But it's a jungle out there, you have to be extremely careful and do copious amounts of research.

People keep citing worst-case scenarios from procedures that very few doctors do now and maybe not many ever did. That is not a reason to avoid getting a transplant in this decade.

Cost, cost, cost, some people say, but a series of hair transplants involves about as much money as putting in breast implants once (which eventually need to be replaced, by the way). Annually tens of thousands of women get implants. Many people can afford $4000 for a transplant, and it's easier with financing options. I don't think cost is a major factor for the aversion. The women some men are with might discourage them from going forward with it.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I started losing my hair at quite a young age, I was mortified! It took a while to come to terms with it, I shaved my head because there was little choice of what I could do and as soon as I did for some reason women became MUCH more interested in me. Now I am middle aged and am often being told I look a lot younger than my advancing years, because (so women tell me) as you get older being bald takes years off of you. Now I live with my Mrs who forbids me to grow my hair, she says I look much better without it and only last week I showed a couple of young, early 20's ladies I work with pictures of me in the 90's when I was in my 20's and with my hair and the BOTH said I look much better without it! In fact they used the term sexier which was even better! Hair transplant? No way, now I thank my lucky stars it started to fall out!
If you had badly chewed-up blonde or red hair and a good face, then I would expect an improvement with a shaved head. Most men don't fall into that category.

It is true that if a man is aging well except for his hair, shaving it off can make him look younger. I noticed that years ago from a picture of an elderly alumnus.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:37 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,249,158 times
Count me as another woman who thinks bald or closely shaved heads are sexy on men. If you're worried that you don't have the right head shape, sometimes a trimmed goatee or some light scruff will balance out the look.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:19 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,214,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Because most women want a man, not a vain and insecure boy.
You, Sir or Ma'am, win the internet for today!

Old 01-09-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
Count me as another woman who thinks bald or closely shaved heads are sexy on men. If you're worried that you don't have the right head shape, sometimes a trimmed goatee or some light scruff will balance out the look.
Probably closer to "rarely" than "sometimes." That will only help the lower face, and many men have sparse facial hair or the hair color is not so good (as in the many who have reddish facial hair).

Some women prefer clean-shaven, a few workplaces place strict limits on facial hair, and some men just don't want facial hair for various reasons. Edit: logged back on to make the funny but true point that many men now relying on beards someday will struggle to not look like Santa Claus. I don't think beards should be touted as some panacea for balding.

After hundreds (wow) of posts in this discussion, I'd say only about 20% of balding men who aren't senior citizens have rock-solid reasons for not getting transplants.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-09-2017 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 08:30 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,165,127 times
I'm a bald guy who keeps his head clean-shaven - and have for years. I like the way I look; and, as another poster mentioned - a good number of women like it too.

Hair transplants look like crap, and any man that gets one is making a serious mistake. Anyone that is encouraging guys to get hair transplants is either a doctor who makes money off of them - or someone associated with said doctor(s).

The surgery is dangerous, and I've heard from someone who had a transplant that their head was numb for a month afterwards. Doesn't sound safe to me. Also, the scarring looks awful. I've heard of many cases where guys get a transplant & then regret it afterwards.

Comparing hair transplants on men to breast implants on women is like comparing apples & oranges. Two completely different things.

Don't be a sucker.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I'm a bald guy who keeps his head clean-shaven - and have for years. I like the way I look; and, as another poster mentioned - a good number of women like it too.

Hair transplants look like crap, and any man that gets one is making a serious mistake. Anyone that is encouraging guys to get hair transplants is either a doctor who makes money off of them - or someone associated with said doctor(s).

The surgery is dangerous, and I've heard from someone who had a transplant that their head was numb for a month afterwards. Doesn't sound safe to me. Also, the scarring looks awful. I've heard of many cases where guys get a transplant & then regret it afterwards.

Comparing hair transplants on men to breast implants on women is like comparing apples & oranges. Two completely different things.
No, I think it's a good analogy. With one major exception: danger. There is no real health risk if the rare, extreme flap procedure isn't counted; I think a typical hair transplant is closer to mole removal than a full-fledged operation. Meanwhile, probably dozens of women end up dead from botched augmentations every year. Well, also, getting fake boobs must be much more painful; numbness is by comparison a joke.

Just like implant surgery, hair transplant has outspoken critics who harp on negatives and ignore positives. Weirdly it seems like almost all critics of both procedures are men. Maybe with implants, women's openness with each other (compared to men's reticence) encourages going for it and balances out some bad press.

And remember, to many people, baldness "looks like crap." Which is one of those things women are reluctant to say around men. But when a famous male sex symbol (at least as deemed by the media) shaved his head....
Adam Levine bald: Shaved head shocks fans on The Voice | Memes, photos

Quote:
Don't be a sucker.
Don't post misinformation.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-10-2017 at 12:08 AM..

Old 01-11-2017, 02:01 AM

14,818 posts, read 11,930,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
If you had badly chewed-up blonde or red hair and a good face, then I would expect an improvement with a shaved head. Most men don't fall into that category.

It is true that if a man is aging well except for his hair, shaving it off can make him look younger. I noticed that years ago from a picture of an elderly alumnus.
I will have you know that I most certainly didn't have 'badly chewed-up blonde or red hair', actually I have (had) dark straight hair, it wasn't unruly, I quite liked having it when I had it! :-D

Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 AM

4,846 posts, read 3,618,187 times
Huge waste of money. My husband is almost fully bald. I like the Walter look on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty