U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 04:21 PM

2,642 posts, read 2,117,164 times

Advertisements

Vin Diesel is the type of man whose appearance is respected by men, leading them to think women find it attractive. Most of them don't - homely face (and bad voice too). The hair loss didn't help. Usually something needs to physically appeal to women or (even more so) men, for a connection to develop.

Also, this is objective criteria for facial beauty. Forehead height is part of that. Width, too, probably far less. I never said that a little hair loss means a man should get a transplant, partly because it might not affect his face in any meaningful way.

Again, "hair transplants always look unconvincing" is false. View the PDF I posted.

Now I might as well seriously injure two myths about hair loss that I've read here.
1) If there's any link between male-pattern baldness and testosterone levels, it's small.
https://perfecthairhealth.com/men-stop-thinking-your-hair-loss-is-due-to-high-testosterone/?s2-ssl=yes
2) Castration does not regrow much hair. There's some evidence at the bottom of http://baldingblog.com/2012/08/23/if...p-immediately/

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-05-2015 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 04:22 PM

23,922 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalinksi View Post
Men that look good with hair also look good bald. Attractiveness has nothing to do with hair. If you're already ugly, shaving your head won't help.
Exactly right.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:38 PM

Not exactly right. Between bald caps and simulated bald photos of Tom Cruise, he seems to look worse bald, maybe even unattractive. Some of it is the dome-like head shape.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+...w=1680&bih=949
Other men can lose points due to things like scalp birthmarks.

Maybe Andre Agassi is a better example. He plunged in attractiveness when forced to shave his head. From sex symbol to washed-up.

Let's say going bald by itself can cut attractiveness by 20% in many case.

By the way, if hair doesn't matter, then why do most women rank brown hair and blonde hair higher than red hair on men?

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-05-2015 at 04:47 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 04:42 PM

6 posts, read 4,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Not exactly right. Between bald caps and simulated bald photos of Tom Cruise, he seems to look worse bald, maybe even unattractive. Some of it is the dome-like head shape.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+...w=1680&bih=949
Other men can lose points due to things like scalp birthmarks.

Maybe Andre Agassi is a better example. He plunged in attractiveness when forced to shave his head. From sex symbol to washed-up.

Let's say going bald by itself can cut attractiveness by 20% in many case.

Photoshopped renditions of how someone MIGHT look bald like the dorky Tom Cruise pics and how they actually do look bald are two entirely different things. It takes a whole new level of delusion to bring something so silly into the discussion.

When Agassi dropped that stupid mullet wig, women everywhere were talking about how much better he looked.

You're seeing what you want to see, not what others see.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:45 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,137,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As a woman, I find it repulsive when a man is so lacking in confidence that he needs hair transplants or a toupee. It's icky.
I hear ya. The same thing with women that wear makeup, color their hair, etc. They completely lack confidence. Disgusting.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:49 PM

15,232 posts, read 23,764,219 times
Quote:
Vin Diesel is the type of man whose appearance is respected by men, leading them to think women find it attractive. Most of them don't - homely face (and bad voice too). The hair loss didn't help. Usually something needs to physically appeal to women or (even more so) men, for a connection to develop.

Also, this is objective criteria for facial beauty. Forehead height is part of that. Width, too, probably far less. I never said that a little hair loss means a man should get a transplant, partly because it might not affect his face in any meaningful way.

Again, "hair transplants always look unconvincing" is false. View the PDF I posted.

Now I might as well seriously injure two myths about hair loss that I've read here.
1) If there's any link between male-pattern baldness and testosterone levels, it's small.
https://perfecthairhealth.com/men-stop-thinking-your-hair-loss-is-due-to-high-testosterone/?s2-ssl=yes
2) Castration does not regrow much hair. There's some evidence at the bottom of Hair Loss InformationIf a Man Gets Castrated While Losing Hair, Does the Loss Just Stop Immediately? - Hair Loss Information - Balding Blog
'

Yumm, I love me my Vin Diesel !!!!!

manly
great voice
not perfect looking.....................yum

Old 04-05-2015, 04:54 PM

I remember when Agassi got rid of the wig. I heard nothing positive about his bald look, and he quickly dropped out of the public spotlight. My speculation is that baldness is one reason advertisers didn't want to use him anymore. It's not like I personally wanted his straw-like hair, but it was a big part of his positive image.

Or how about Kelly Slater? He quickly went from having nice hair to bald (bad candidate for a transplant, I guess). I think most people would agree he looked better with hair.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:58 PM

460 posts, read 626,707 times
Quote:

2) Castration does not regrow much hair. There's some evidence at the bottom of Hair Loss InformationIf a Man Gets Castrated While Losing Hair, Does the Loss Just Stop Immediately? - Hair Loss Information - Balding Blog
Vin Diesel is one of those pseudo tough guys who wasn't really bald, he shaved his head to look tough but he really had hair. It's starting to thin out now, but he wasn't / isn't really bald.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 4,109 times
Quote:
I remember when Agassi got rid of the wig. I heard nothing positive about his bald look, and he quickly dropped out of the public spotlight.
Your misinformation can be verified with research. His career went through the roof when he ditched the mullet. Again, you heard only what you wanted to hear. You have no idea how much your own bias is affecting what your senses are able to process.

I've always had success with women, both before I started shaving my head and after. Taking care of myself (in terms of staying fit) is a big part of that. I can't tell you how many women have told me that what they find attractive about me is that I'm not afraid to be a man -- by that, I mean I don't apologize for who I am. Any flaws I have become an indispensable part of my character. In a million years I wouldn't try to cover or hide things that are simple traits. That's what MPB is, a trait, not a flaw. Some people like it, some don't. But to take steps to try to hide or change it is like getting insecure over your eye color or skin color. Remedies for trying to change who we are always suck.

The idea of getting a hair transplant or wearing a wig is so far out of the realm of possibilities of crap I would actually do. Why? Because I'm a straight guy, why would I care what my hair looks like? That is not even .00001 of what defines who I am, or what I bring to a woman in any sort of dating situation or physical relationship. The fact that I don't give a crap about hair is probably one reason they don't see me as a revoltingly creepy, sissy-boy metrosexual type who spends time in the mirror gelling and dying his hair or worrying about his "do".

There have been many men throughout history that were completely bald and women would get soaked at the mere mention of them -- not just Vin Diesel (who attracts women like nobody's business), but Telly Savalas back in the 70s, Sean Connery back in the 80s. There have been many bald or balding sex symbols throughout history.

You're never going to acknowledge them because you're trapped in the complacency of what you already think you know to be fact. That's too bad, because that's a sad way to live. When I see a case this bad, I'm just thankful to have the outlook I do on life and what being a real man is about.

If I even started to convey some of the stories of random women who have walked up to me at a social event just to meet me and say things like "I just want to tell you I think a shaved head is sooooo sexy", folks here would simply think I'm bragging so I'm not even going to go there. I bet a lot of guys with shaved heads get this at events, bars, etc.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:25 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,795,787 times
Quote:

Its pretty fascinating how you make these broad-sweeping generalizations about stuff you aren't in any position to know.

We all have our own preferences, men and women, you like your men with a full head of hair, good enough but trying to speak for others, it doesn't really ever work out well. Nobody has the same preferences or finds the same things attractive and that also varies culturally as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or