U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 05:38 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,794,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalinksi View Post
The idea of getting a hair transplant or wearing a wig is so far out of the realm of possibilities of crap I would actually do.

This is exactly how I feel. Growing up, I've never really been one to give a damn about what anyone else thinks about me outside of my family and friends. If I personally don't care if I go bald, what reason would I have for dishing out a bunch of money for any of that nonsense. I'd rather put that money to use to go on vacation somewhere or towards my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:43 PM

3,856 posts, read 4,277,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This is exactly how I feel. Growing up, I've never really been one to give a damn about what anyone else thinks about me outside of my family and friends. If I personally don't care if I go bald, what reason would I have for dishing out a bunch of money for any of that nonsense. I'd rather put that money to use to go on vacation somewhere or towards my business.
That's a good attitude. It sounds absolutely miserable to be obsessed with men's hair and living your life to get the approval of others. That's a prison I would never put myself in. Life is way too short for that.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:45 PM

2,626 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalinksi View Post
Your misinformation can be verified with research. His career went through the roof when he ditched the mullet. Again, you heard only what you wanted to hear. You have no idea how much your own bias is affecting what your senses are able to process.

I've always had success with women, both before I started shaving my head and after. Taking care of myself (in terms of staying fit) is a big part of that. I can't tell you how many women have told me that what they find attractive about me is that I'm not afraid to be a man -- by that, I mean I don't apologize for who I am. Any flaws I have become an indispensable part of my character. In a million years I wouldn't try to cover or hide things that are simple traits. That's what MPB is, a trait, not a flaw. Some people like it, some don't. But to take steps to try to hide or change it is like getting insecure over your eye color or skin color. Remedies for trying to change who we are always suck.

The idea of getting a hair transplant or wearing a wig is so far out of the realm of possibilities of crap I would actually do. Why? Because I'm a straight guy, why would I care what my hair looks like? That is not even .00001 of what defines who I am, or what I bring to a woman in any sort of dating situation or physical relationship. The fact that I don't give a crap about hair is probably one reason they don't see me as a revoltingly creepy, sissy-boy metrosexual type who spends time in the mirror gelling and dying his hair or worrying about his "do".

There have been many men throughout history that were completely bald and women would get soaked at the mere mention of them -- not just Vin Diesel (who attracts women like nobody's business), but Telly Savalas back in the 70s, Sean Connery back in the 80s. There have been many bald or balding sex symbols throughout history.

You're never going to acknowledge them because you're trapped in the complacency of what you already think you know to be fact. That's too bad, because that's a sad way to live. When I see a case this bad, I'm just thankful to have the outlook I do on life and what being a real man is about.

If I even started to convey some of the stories of random women who have walked up to me at a social event just to meet me and say things like "I just want to tell you I think a shaved head is sooooo sexy", folks here would simply think I'm bragging so I'm not even going to go there. I bet a lot of guys with shaved heads get this at events, bars, etc.
So? Men with hair are still preferred. The sex symbols claim, as applied to white men, just does not hold up. Apart from Jason Statham and Bruce Willis, who were never ranked near the top of men, all the supposedly sexy bald or significantly balding guys that I've been able to identify were either widely considered more attractive with hair (including Connery with a wig) or weren't wildly popular (probably only a minority of women under 25 will even date men with major hair loss). Also, MPB is not a trait like skin color and eye color are - it's closer to a disease*. Beware long rants in arguments - they're usually attempts at bulldozing and wordplay instead of getting to the truth.

P.S.
I was wrong about Agassi's career success - I'm not a tennis fan - but right about his popularity with the public.

*Back to something I skipped over, 'normal' balding after age 30. So, if most men are married then, it's supposed not to count, like physical attraction doesn't matter in marriage and divorce is rare?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:34 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,794,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
*Back to something I skipped over, 'normal' balding after age 30. So, if most men are married then, it's supposed not to count, like physical attraction doesn't matter in marriage and divorce is rare?

The problem is you're basing your entire argument of physical attraction on men having hair which I think matters a lot less then you seem to imply. Attraction is not based off of any one single factor, its a series of factors combined that leads to chemistry.

I think beautiful eyes( subjective of what is beautiful) are very attractive, I love women with deep, dark soulful eyes but someone else might prefer green eyes or blue eyes, in anycase, even if a woman has beautiful eyes that is only part of the process of attraction, if she's 100 pounds overweight, well, that doesn't help her case, if she smokes, that doesn't help, if she's a rude person or has a terrible personality, then I'm already done and moving on to someone else.

There's a list of completely subjective factors that men and women look like, individually we all have things that attract us and nobody is ever the same. For every man or woman that people judge to be beautiful, I promise you there's someone out there who does not find them attractive.

You can't apply objective standards to something that is completely subjective. As the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 PM

194 posts, read 135,901 times
I think most guys don't get implants because they have a butt for a face so they figure why waste the money at Bosley Hair Club for Men when they could spend the $$ at a strip club & finally get a woman w/ all her teeth (usually) & no visible open sores to pay attention to them for a few minutes.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:52 PM

546 posts, read 307,820 times
Quote:

Maybe Andre Agassi is a better example. He plunged in attractiveness when forced to shave his head. From sex symbol to washed-up.
Andre looks just fine with a shaved head, as far as I am concerned.

Maybe his lessened presence in the public eye had more to do with the end of his tennis career....

Old 04-05-2015, 08:38 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,786,343 times
I'm 55 and have a patch of thinning hair. Really what happens is partly aging, or partly medical issues (for me I take thyroid medicine to keep my thyroid level stable, and that can cause hair to fall out or thin).

The fact is that this happens g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y. So...I will probably not consider shaving my entire scalp until I happen to be aware that one half of my scalp is gone already. But I'm not there. I'm far from there.

The gradualism is a great metaphor to a lot of things in life. Like the gradual erosion of our freedoms that most of us allowed. But I won't get into that.

Gradualism to baldness is the reason why we don't do anything about it.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 PM

118 posts, read 95,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I see so many men who are bald or at least going bald. Hair transplants are not any more expensive than a used car.

I'm relatively young and not going bald yet, but as soon as I start to lose hair, I'll be at the surgeons office so fast.

Why don't more men get hair transplants? I've heard they're very successful and I wouldn't imagine it would be any worse than wisdom teeth removal.
So will I but thankfully my hair grows rapidly and is very thick. My brother keeps winding saying I will loose it but I think I have my maternal grandfathers hair.

All these men shave it off once it starts coming out but why? Hair is important to me and I just could not cope.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 4,105 times
Quote:
Beware long rants in arguments - they're usually attempts at bulldozing and wordplay instead of getting to the truth.
You're barking up the wrong tree trying to find some "truth" in getting folks to agree with you that hair equates to attractiveness in a man. It's fully subjective. It varies based on individual opinion.

The only truth here is that you're unable to see you're a victim of your own opinion, and that your opinion is holding you prisoner and making you miserable. I can only assume you are a balding male who has convinced himself he will never reach his full potential because of his baldness, and has already spent a good portion of your life's earnings with "solutions" like Rogaine, wigs, transplants, spraypaint, miscellaneous snake oils, etc. only to no avail.

I do realize my assessment may or may not be correct (regardless of whether you are as described and/or admit it), since I don't know you, but just be aware this is how you are projecting yourself -- as someone who has given up hope of ever being considered attractive and sees your best option as trying to get as many folks as possible to subscribe to your viewpoint.

My evidence that I'm right is that if you were a straight man with a full head of hair, there's no way you'd be spending this much time pondering the subject or noticing other people's hairline. If you were a female, you wouldn't be concerned with the subject either, because you would have long lists of both hairy and hairless men that you find attractive. If you were a confident bald or balding male you wouldn't have the viewpoint you have -- there's an entire side to all of this that you clearly have not experienced.

I have noticed a lot of men in the gay community seem to place a much higher value on having lots of hair styling options, so it is possible you are part of that demographic (in which case I would simply say stop punishing yourself, their is much more to life than worrying about hair).

Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,130,282 times
Quote:
Maybe Andre Agassi is a better example. He plunged in attractiveness when forced to shave his head. From sex symbol to washed-up.
LOL!!! You just really have no clue. He was hotter bald than he EVER was with hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or