U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-11-2015, 07:06 AM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,035,415 times
Reputation: 3138

Advertisements

People who haven't lost their hair are in no place to comment on it, you can't possibly imagine what it would be like without it actually happening to you. Sh*t is rough, guys kill themselves over it.

I'm losing mine at a early age and I'm 99% sure I look way worse then when I had a full head of hair. My skull is just not the right shape, but I don't have a choice in the matter. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place, if I shave it I'll look bad, but I look bad hanging onto what is left. I shouldn't have to be dealing with this in my 20's, definitely feel like I've been robbed big time.

Still gotta keep living though. I still get attention from women because my face isn't ugly and I'm 6'3'', but man do I wish I had my hair back.

Current transplants suck though, especially if you are young. Totally not worth it. There seems to be progress on the stem cell front though, where they are growing perfect hairs for implanting, which means no scars on the back of your head and unlimited hairs for transplant. Probably 5-10 years away from that being a reality though, by then I'll probably not care enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2015, 10:47 AM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,620 posts, read 2,111,724 times
Reputation: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I was responding to your previous statement as quoted below:

"Nor does it say whether lasers maintain hair long-term, probably because no one knows."

You are trying to change the implication of what you said from "no one knows how long lasers maintain hair" to "no one knows how lasers do what they do".

Wow. You must think we are dumb not to notice what you're doing. Stop trying to deflect from the fact that you said doctors have no clue how long lasers will maintain hair.

You don't stop getting laser treatments. When you stop doing laser treatments, the hair follicles go back to the way they were before. Doctors KNOW this, even if you don't. Also, laser combs and laser helmets are available via mail order and the instructions always specify that you must use the laser on a regular basis to maintain the new hair growth. Once you stop, the follicles revert back to where they were.

It's not a freaking mystery.
People play tricks when they can't win directly, but I'm not the trickster here. You're right that I raised two different objections. Valid objections. Even though, yes, laser treatments seem meant to be perpetual doesn't mean results will be. Just one of the many things doctor don't know. That said, let's say results are visible and (unlike most believe about minoxidil) perpetual - it still would cost some money and be a pain in the butt. Why would someone want to do that almost daily if a few transplants would do more? And, again, while one should be aware of potential drawbacks, pain during the procedure is not a reason to avoid it.

Are some men getting transplants partly in the hope that that will help with women? Yes. Probably because it will (if the hair loss was significant). Just as breast implants do with men, probably even with guys who claim to be against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 10:51 AM
 
2,181 posts, read 2,035,415 times
Reputation: 3138
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
People play tricks when they can't win directly, but I'm not the trickster here. You're right that I raised two different objections. Valid objections. Even though, yes, laser treatments seem meant to be perpetual doesn't mean results will be. Just one of the many things doctor don't know. That said, let's say results are visible and (unlike most believe about minoxidil) perpetual - it still would cost some money and be a pain in the butt. Why would someone want to do that almost daily if a few transplants would do more? And, again, while one should be aware of potential drawbacks, pain during the procedure is not a reason to avoid it.
Transplants aren't permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 04:18 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,620 posts, read 2,111,724 times
Reputation: 1679
Yes, they are (almost always). I've never seen so many different people post misinformation in one thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2015, 08:45 PM
 
4,810 posts, read 5,434,536 times
Reputation: 7576
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
People who haven't lost their hair are in no place to comment on it, you can't possibly imagine what it would be like without it actually happening to you. Sh*t is rough, guys kill themselves over it.

I'm losing mine at a early age and I'm 99% sure I look way worse then when I had a full head of hair. My skull is just not the right shape, but I don't have a choice in the matter. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place, if I shave it I'll look bad, but I look bad hanging onto what is left. I shouldn't have to be dealing with this in my 20's, definitely feel like I've been robbed big time.

Still gotta keep living though. I still get attention from women because my face isn't ugly and I'm 6'3'', but man do I wish I had my hair back.

Current transplants suck though, especially if you are young. Totally not worth it. There seems to be progress on the stem cell front though, where they are growing perfect hairs for implanting, which means no scars on the back of your head and unlimited hairs for transplant. Probably 5-10 years away from that being a reality though, by then I'll probably not care enough.
You are right that no one can comment and tell you how you should feel. I just wanted to make the point that plenty of women don't care. I think some men need to hear it. Also, I just looked at your profile photo and you are cute!!!

Question . . . have you tried a laser? I would think at your young age you'd be an ideal candidate.

The only way they don't work is if the follicle is totally dead. If you start early enough, you can prevent that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:43 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,620 posts, read 2,111,724 times
Reputation: 1679
The post wasn't directed at me, but since he apparently will not reply....

I think that falls into the category of "comforting," which unfortunately often conflicts with reality and sometimes harms decision-making.

It's time to put up or shut up about the significant benefits of lasers for men. I know the Balding Blog doctor conducted his own experiment on patients and now believes lasers don't work.

Most men do know there are "plenty of women [who] don't care" about hair loss (aside from wreaths, skullets, and similar). But, as I've said, it's likely that many those women are older (and often attached) or unattractive and therefore irrelevant to many men who are losing their hair.

Meanwhile, if anyone thinks hair never adds much to a man's attractiveness, picture a typical under-50 Kennedy. To me, it would be insane for a man like that to not try hard to preserve his hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 06:52 AM
 
615 posts, read 566,652 times
Reputation: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalinksi View Post
You're barking up the wrong tree trying to find some "truth" in getting folks to agree with you that hair equates to attractiveness in a man. It's fully subjective. It varies based on individual opinion.
That is a straw man argument that I see all over this thread. Look, no one is claiming that baldness is equivalent to ugliness, or that every guy with a full head of hair looks good.

What I think we can agree on is:
  • A receded hairline makes a guy look significantly older, and looking older has a lot of negatives.
  • If you have a full head of hair, you have an infinite number of "looks" you can pull off, including the shaved head look; whereas a guy who is bald is confined to only 1 "look" that he can try to pull off, a look that is ugly on 99% of men.
  • Hair is (wrongly) equated with health, hence the term "healthy head of hair" in our language. The invention of chemotherapy no doubt contributed to the association of baldness with sickness and death.
  • A low, square hairline brings out attractive facial features and hides unattractive facial features, while a receded, V-shaped hairline brings out unattractive facial features such as big noses.

Another thing I should mention is that people here are wrong when they say that bald means zero hair maintenance. In reality, bald means you have to carefully Bic your entire head every day, often causing red razor bumps that stand out on the your fleshy head. A guy who is trying to cultivate a sexy shaved head look has a lot of maintenance to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Vermont
10,089 posts, read 10,604,044 times
Reputation: 13438
A friend of mine got plugs, still has to put minoxidil cream on his head every day or he'll lose it, and he just looks like a guy with thinning hair.

Shave, which is higher maintenance, or very low clipper setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 08:18 PM
 
4,810 posts, read 5,434,536 times
Reputation: 7576
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It's time to put up or shut up about the significant benefits of lasers for men. I know the Balding Blog doctor conducted his own experiment on patients and now believes lasers don't work.
Right. Then why do so many hair loss clinics have lasers in them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 08:21 PM
 
4,810 posts, read 5,434,536 times
Reputation: 7576
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Most men do know there are "plenty of women [who] don't care" about hair loss (aside from wreaths, skullets, and similar). But, as I've said, it's likely that many those women are older (and often attached) or unattractive and therefore irrelevant to many men who are losing their hair.
Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top