U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 PM

2,651 posts, read 2,118,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
A friend of mine got plugs, still has to put minoxidil cream on his head every day or he'll lose it, and he just looks like a guy with thinning hair.

Shave, which is higher maintenance, or very low clipper setting.
Yes, true, hair transplants probably won't remove all 'need' for other treatments or make someone look like he has a full head of hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Right. Then why do so many hair loss clinics have lasers in them?
Likely discounted prices to the clinics (similar to why drug companies give free samples to doctors) and definitely more profit for the clinics (which are notorious for overcharging for minoxidil). You should concede defeat on the greatness of lasers.

Also, I don't agree on all of DavidRudisha's claims about hair loss. My position isn't that extreme. I don't know many people who think hair is extremely important.

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-15-2015 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:06 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,734,078 times
To me, it looks weak. You'll never look like you have a full head of hair. You'll look like it's thinning at best, it'll look off. Maybe in the videos with the perfect lighting and angles it's fine, but in real life, not so much.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:19 PM

I don't believe that's true. For example, some men get transplants and then use concealer. Or if a transplant was done after only slight loss.... Also, why is thinning so bad? If it's not extreme, surely it is better than having a large, missing section of hair.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:37 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,255,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Because it's perhaps the silliest thing one could possibly spend their money on? I have no problem finding bald men attractive. But I might struggle to respect any guy I dated who admitted to having hair plugs...
I agree completely! When I see a man with hair plugs (toupee, comb-over, and the like), I automatically make a judgement about him. I feel he's weak, insecure, and completely lacking in self-awareness--because ALL of these products look ridiculous. I make my judgement about these guys based on my assumption that they don't feel secure enough in themselves to wear their bald or balding head, which is completely acceptable for men.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:10 PM

576 posts, read 295,350 times
I didn't get hair plugs or start a comb over because they all look terrible, hair transplants scar your head!, I was happy to shave it all off, no regrets.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:37 PM

13,532 posts, read 11,050,576 times
Men rather spend their money on better things; like beer, cars/parts, man caves, etc

Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 AM

857 posts, read 725,371 times
I really didn't like my hair much when I had it; it was very straight and fine in texture. I liked wearing it long because of the message it sent, as this was in the 1970s, but that seemed to be the only benefit to hair. Otherwise, it tended to get in the way. By keeping it long enough, I could keep it (mostly) out of my eyes, but if I wanted a shorter but still somewhat long style I couldn't do it. I sure as hell wasn't going to have a mullet and I didn't like the combed back look at all--which nobody did then, anyway.

I went bald at an early age, which is actually an advantage of sorts. Being still a young man in every other way, I didn't regard my baldness as a sign of age, as if it were an isolated symptom of progeria.

Long story short, being bald wasn't that big a deal and I didn't think transplants would be worth it.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:28 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,285,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I see so many men who are bald or at least going bald. Hair transplants are not any more expensive than a used car.

I'm relatively young and not going bald yet, but as soon as I start to lose hair, I'll be at the surgeons office so fast.

Why don't more men get hair transplants? I've heard they're very successful and I wouldn't imagine it would be any worse than wisdom teeth removal.
I'll need to look more into this; if it is cheap and effective, then it might very well be a good idea for me to get this done as well! After all, it would make cross-dressing more authentic for me (in comparison to me wearing a wig).

Old 05-04-2015, 11:09 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,409,722 times
OK, simply put: I can't imagine why anyone would think that getting a hair transplant would be a good alternative for a balding man. I also think comb-overs look terrible.

If you're a balding guy, why not just shave your head? I'm in my mid-40's, and have been bald for years - though I still have some hair growing on the sides & back. About 3 1/2 years ago, I started shaving my remaining hair off, and have kept the look up ever since. I love it, and have gotten a lot of compliments (some unsolicited) regarding the look. Some women seem to dig the look as well, which is obviously a big plus

Here are the problems I have with hair transplants:

- From what I've heard, they typically leave unsightly scarring on the top of your head. So, if you decide you don't like the transplant and/or it didn't work out - and you want to start shaving your head - the scars will make you more self-conscious than you would be without them.

- You will never have the "full head of hair" look, even with the transplant. At best, you will look like you are balding. I'm not sure why anyone would pay good $ to look this way. Some people I've seen with transplants look especially obvious, with the "doll head" look - i.e., the hair looks like it's sprouting from an artificial doll's head.

-Years ago, I was talking to someone who had a hair transplant & they said their head was numb for a month after the transplant. Again, not sure why anyone would want to go through with this.

Just my .02...

Old 05-04-2015, 09:47 PM

"Typically" - maybe. I know there's a newer method that is virtually scarless; eventually it will be the most popular type of transplant.

[I hate repeating myself] Why do people keep saying the "full head of hair" look is impossible? Even if someone is starting out with a lot missing, in many cases it's probably possible to get the look with transplants plus concealer or certain hairstyles that fall short of comb-overs. I bet there are many male celebrities in that category. And all balding isn't the same - mild hair loss has little social costs. Sounds like the male version of a woman who doesn't stay in shape because she can't look like a supermodel.

Numb, schumb, if it's not for a very long period of time. Not much different from avoiding a transplant due to pain. The unnamed man who had the transplant probably would have done it even if he knew that would happen.

There are enough sensible reasons for some men to not get transplants. No need to believe in bogus reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or