U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 01:06 AM

812 posts, read 661,235 times

Advertisements

So did anyone admit they had it done and were glad they did ?
I didn't read all the posts
If Im still single in 10 years I might have it done. My hair is starting to get thinner on the top of my head. I miss my flowing mane from back in the day LOL and no it wasn't a Mullet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,885,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
So did anyone admit they had it done and were glad they did ?
I didn't read all the posts
If Im still single in 10 years I might have it done. My hair is starting to get thinner on the top of my head. I miss my flowing mane from back in the day LOL and no it wasn't a Mullet
Yes, I did it and cound not be happier with the results. All of these "myths" about it looking unnatural, leaving scars, not providing good results are wrong. New FUE technique does not scar, there are no "plug looks" and at least for me, the coverage was great. I think people would be surprised by the number of men who have had it and they would never know. The techniques have come a long way. Now, if you are young and anticipate continued hair loss, you would probably need to consider propecia or at least monoxidil to keep what you already have but, transplanted hair IS permanent, it's not going to fall out. Find a good surgeon and make an informed choice. Don't believe what you read here. You can get results that no one would ever suspect you had it done. best of luck

Old 05-06-2015, 07:09 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,408,621 times
Well, it all depends:

This whole thread reminds me of a time I went to get my hair cut a while back (before I started shaving my head). The lady cutting my hair obviously saw that I was bald, and was trying to convince me to get a hair transplant - apparently she was affiliated with and/or had some kind of connection to a place that did them. I told her that the only way I would even consider having one done is if they could guarantee I would be able to have the same, exact, extremely thick full head of hair that I had as a kid - otherwise, I wouldn't consider it. That shut her up. Note that I had very thick hair before I started losing it in my early 20's.

Granted, I will admit that I've probably seen some transplants without knowing about them. However, my understanding is that the hair they use for the transplants use your existing body hair - so, going along with my above comment, I can't imagine that the transplanted hair would look that thick. In my case, I would either want the extremely thick hair that I used to have, or nothing - no in-betweens. This is obviously impossible, so a hair transplant would be unacceptable for me.

Again, this all depends on what you want to look like - if you're losing your hair and don't want to go completely bald, a transplant may keep you from going completely bald - if it works the way it's supposed to.

Note I'm completely against unnecessary surgery - I think people do this too much these days. Also, IMHO hair transplants for men are similar to butt injections & breast enhancements for women - i.e., they're designed to make people feel better about themselves but don't necessarily make people look better.

Just my .02.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,115,158 times
You really believe body hair is the normal source of hair transplants? Lol, they can even use pubic hair, but hair usually comes from the back of the scalp.

My more important question is why, like some others insist, would the end result have to look good as pre-balding hair?

Old 05-06-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
You really believe body hair is the normal source of hair transplants? Lol, they can even use pubic hair, but hair usually comes from the back of the scalp.

My more important question is why, like some others insist, would the end result have to look good as pre-balding hair?
Your first sentence above just proves my point that a hair transplant wouldn't look that great. I.e., if hair is usually taken from the back of your scalp to be put on the top of your head, then that means the back of your scalp wouldn't have hair, and would look "bare". That being said, I guess you could always keep your hair cut very short on the sides and the back.

As to your second sentence above, if I am going to bother going to the trouble & spending the money for a hair transplant, I would need it to look fantastic, and I would want to look as good as I did when I had all my hair. If I'm just going to look like a guy who's balding & or starting to bald, why would I bother? Just so I can have some hair on my head?

Bottom line, no one out there will be able to convince me that a hair transplant is a good idea. If you decide to get one, more power to you - but I never will.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-06-2015 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 03:49 PM

Some guys hardly lose any attractiveness points from mild balding. Then again, that includes almost all men who look okay with shaved heads.

Anyway, my understanding is that sparse-looking hair in back almost never happens after a transplant. Either the hair is plucked one by one from such a big area that nobody notices or a chunk of the scalp (with the desired hair) is cut out and the surrounding area is sewn together, much like removal of a typical skin growth.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Some guys hardly lose any attractiveness points from mild balding. Then again, that includes almost all men who look okay with shaved heads.

Anyway, my understanding is that sparse-looking hair in back almost never happens after a transplant. Either the hair is plucked one by one from such a big area that nobody notices or a chunk of the scalp (with the desired hair) is cut out and the surrounding area is sewn together, much like removal of a typical skin growth.
Wow - I can't imagine why anyone would want this kind of surgery unless it was essential. This opens up the door for all sorts of problems, i.e. infections, unsightly skin, etc.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:54 AM

I don't automatically trust things written online, but "the scalp is very vascular which makes infections unlikely" and I haven't heard any high-profile transplant+infection horror stories. Nor for any removal of skin growths. Yeah, unsightly skin is a possibility, and I think the cutting version of hair transplants will be phased out. More objections? Let's get to the point -are you scared of surgery? Many people are, but maybe few men readily admit it and re hair loss the others rationalize (often with fearful reasons) why they don't want transplants.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:00 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times
Good grief, why are you so obsessed with this topic? It's almost creepy.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:45 PM

20 posts, read 9,779 times
I am a little confused.

If you get a transplant, will that hair eventually fall out as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or