U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 04:06 PM

1,168 posts, read 651,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why? I mean, it's costly and painful. It's hair... not necessary organs.
To look better, to give yourself a better chance of getting ahead in society. In South Korea it's the norm for girls to have eyelid surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 04:12 PM

2,626 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
A hair transplant procedure adds no more than a couple thousand hairs to the top of your head. That's not enough to fill in more than a couple square inches of full density. If you've lost 1/2 or more of your hair, there's not much use of a transplant. But, if your hair loss has stabilized after receding on the sides a bit, and you want to make up most of your lost ground, a hair transplant makes sense.

It's reasonable to think of it as an investment given the fact that you can't put a price on confidence and given the fact that looking better gives you more dating and career options.
I think transplants usually range from a few thousand hairs to about 8000, and the desperate sometimes can use hair from other parts of the body. In my opinion, whoever has (or will have) significantly more loss than what is available to transplant falls into the "not much use of a transplant" category. Those people could in conjunction with transplants spray on hair, use small hairpieces, or something, but that seems like a bad way to live.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:54 PM

1,610 posts, read 2,968,292 times
in the NYC area, transplants go for $1 per graft.
= $10K for a "mega-session".

as others have pointed out, an insufficient supply of donor hair is the problem.
it usually isn't worth it to go through all that just for moderate coverage.

men's hair pieces have come a long way in terms of appearance, the challenge is still the attachment method.

some hair-wearers have grown accustomed to the ritual of removal/cleaning/re-attaching.

but for it to really be worthwhile, you need a super-bond where you can sleep/shower/etc. with the unit on.

even the best units will eventually wear out, so we can't use true permanent glue.

the current "best" extended wear adhesives last about 2 weeks.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:07 PM

923 posts, read 404,906 times
I just saw the post under this: Tired of shallow people.

I didn't read all the comments here, but as a woman I would not be the least interested in a man with hair implants. On so many levels, that is not the type of man I would want as a partner.
That said I am not getting anything done either. So a man interested in a woman who,would get work done wouldn't be interested in my natural state. Different strokes, but I'd rather pay off a car, save for retirement, etc...
I used to live and work in an area where all types ofsurgery were performed, and we would all makes bets on who was done, or not. We knew 100% and it looked fake.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:11 PM

Tonight is the People's Hair Transplant Showcase, aka The People's Choice Awards, hosted by Joel McHale. He obviously has had work done. I think it's mediocre and not natural-looking, but it looks better than when he had less hair.
JOEL McHALE hair transplant - Celeb Hair Transplants

Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
I just saw the post under this: Tired of shallow people.

I didn't read all the comments here, but as a woman I would not be the least interested in a man with hair implants. On so many levels, that is not the type of man I would want as a partner.
That said I am not getting anything done either. So a man interested in a woman who,would get work done wouldn't be interested in my natural state. Different strokes, but I'd rather pay off a car, save for retirement, etc...
I used to live and work in an area where all types ofsurgery were performed, and we would all makes bets on who was done, or not. We knew 100% and it looked fake.
How would you know? Medical personnel illegally sharing patient information?

Also, what if someone young lost hair from misfortune more than from genetics? Would a transplant still be disdainful?

Old 01-19-2017, 06:22 AM

923 posts, read 404,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
I've a serious widows peak and a bald spot on the back of my head.

I keep the sides of my head buzzed very close to the skin and a little longer in the front.

Why not a hair transplant? Because I do not care. My hair is clean cut and looks fine. If a potential GF had a problem with it I'd not waste a minutes time with her.
^^^this!

I LOVE bald and I love a ponytail, and everything in between. Lol except mustaches without a beard (just personal preference).
Those desperately arguing are going to change no one, not quite sure why the pressure to agree.... We all have our opinions, especially as we age. Why does anyone care? Have had pressure to color my hair, and I just laugh. I live with my looks, they don't have to.

Honestly, I only notice fake, or combovers, and I have no distain, but it makes me feel bad that someone cares so much about how they look that they end up focusing everything on that. Unless they are happy with it, then it shows! It ends up being more noticeable when someone is not comfortable in their own skin.

Confidence is attractive, and I have actually met 2 women who wear wigs and I had no idea. One was a gray wig. I've also met more than a few not comfortable with them, and you could tell.

As a single woman I wouldn't even answer a man who said on his profile that he only likes a full head of hair, long, short, red, black, etc.... hair. There are plenty that don't have fetishes. Why should anyone care that they have their likes? That is their business I am not going to try to tell them blonde, or gray or.... is best?

With a lot of women friends not One.single.time has one of them said they don't like bald. And we talk about Everything!

It is fashionable now anyway. My son is in he 30s and probably has a full head of hair, but who knows? He keeps it almost buzzed.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:41 AM

33,057 posts, read 26,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Nobody would say "It's only hair" to a woman. Not that I'd call a hair transplant for a man necessary. It's probably worth considering, though, purely for looking better. Of course, some men aren't open to any cosmetic procedures.

And nobody should say a modern hair transplant is "painful" before reading several pages of this thread or Googling. Because that's largely false and most hair transplant horror stories don't fixate on pain. I'm tired of fighting the ignorance and misinformation!

That leaves the only legitimate argument against hair transplant for most men as cost? I have no idea whether it's generally worth it from a cost-benefits perspective.
I know a guy who is pretty wealthy and had one a few years ago. He had some pain during and afterward.

My husband considered it when he was younger (he started balding when he was 21), but he ultimately didn't want to scar his head and have to worry that if the transplants didn't work, he'd have to deal with scars on his head once he went bald on top.

He looks great without hair, so I don't care either way.

I would say the same to a woman, but women do not typically have the "go the bald, closely shaved head" route as a societal option in most western countries. So, if women were more inclined to try this option because they'd wear wigs if it didn't take, then I see no conflicts, really.

Men DO have a socially-acceptable option. They CAN go bald and still be successful, attract mates, etc.

So, it's not urgent for guys to have hair. It's a preference, like clothing.

I know there are some women who won't date bald guys, but they are usually not of the age that women are by the time MOST men start to go bald. Women in their late 20s and beyond will usually overlook some degree of male pattern baldness in a mate, if all other factors are good and the guy is a match.

That's not to say that men cannot be upset over hair loss. I know they can be. I am married to a man who was bothered by it. I still know that he'd rather his hair not have started to fall out so young, but his dad is bald on top, so he always knew it was a possibility.

As an aside, some of the men I know who have had hair transplants were SURE this was the reason they could not get dates. They got hair and you know what? They still have trouble with women. It's their personalities, not their amount of hair.

I guess I'm saying men need to be sure of WHY they want the hair before they go through surgery.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 AM

33,057 posts, read 26,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
^^^this!

I LOVE bald and I love a ponytail, and everything in between. Lol except mustaches without a beard (just personal preference).
Those desperately arguing are going to change no one, not quite sure why the pressure to agree.... We all have our opinions, especially as we age. Why does anyone care? Have had pressure to color my hair, and I just laugh. I live with my looks, they don't have to.

Honestly, I only notice fake, or combovers, and I have no distain, but it makes me feel bad that someone cares so much about how they look that they end up focusing everything on that. Unless they are happy with it, then it shows! It ends up being more noticeable when someone is not comfortable in their own skin.

Confidence is attractive, and I have actually met 2 women who wear wigs and I had no idea. One was a gray wig. I've also met more than a few not comfortable with them, and you could tell.

As a single woman I wouldn't even answer a man who said on his profile that he only likes a full head of hair, long, short, red, black, etc.... hair. There are plenty that don't have fetishes. Why should anyone care that they have their likes? That is their business I am not going to try to tell them blonde, or gray or.... is best?

With a lot of women friends not One.single.time has one of them said they don't like bald. And we talk about Everything!

It is fashionable now anyway. My son is in he 30s and probably has a full head of hair, but who knows? He keeps it almost buzzed.
I hate mustaches without beards, too. LOL.

And, I cringe over comb-overs. And over Trump's horrible toupee. He has so much money, why does he not have better hair? He'd look better bald, that one.

My son is 26 and he WOULD LOVE to shave his head regularly, but he's fairly pale with really dark hair and it grows so quickly he looks like a skinhead when he shaves it close. As you said, it's a popular look.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:23 AM

277 posts, read 185,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Hello, bravado, Most likely, 1) you wouldn't know and 2) you'd be rejected first. That would get old if you're one of the men whose looks fall off significantly when balding.

I think that's the rare exception to the rule, Don't get plastic surgery for someone else. Better to cater to common superficiality than be unhappy. However, don't cater to someone who would stop 'loving' you after the almost-inevitable mild/moderate hair loss; almost nobody can get natural hair restored to the point where it forever will resemble a full head of hair.
It's fine by me if I don't know to begin with.

and as far as " Better to cater to common superficiality than be unhappy " - catering to any superficiality would make me unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or