Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 07:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Getting closer, but not close, to agreement.

First, my complaint isn't about pain vs. no pain; it's about "painful." People throw the word around like "Ow, terrible experience." As far as I know, hair transplants rarely cause more than mild pain. Should people avoid the gym because exercise causes soreness?

Yes, "no baldies" is usually a young woman's attitude, but plenty of attractive, older women probably are strict about it. I know for a fact - from research I've seen - that attractive women typically have higher physical standards. I also know, of course, that most men want attractive women. There's also the more sympathetic situation where a man is picky about personality and doesn't want his pool further shrunk due to his hair.

Assuming a shaved head remains a socially acceptable option, that doesn't mean it's a cosmetically acceptable option for many pale, skinny guys. Try thinking of one such baldie who is widely considered nice-looking. Men get upset about baldness because, just like most people getting upset, there's some real reason to be upset.

How does the wealthy man's transplant look?
It's a good transplant. Hair looks like it did before he lost it, maybe just not as thick. He's not actually a very good looking guy anyway, so I reckon he needed all the help he could get. He's a bore, so he still cannot get women. I mean, they'll date him for his money, then they move on when they cannot tolerate him. Still single.

I do get that some men really cannot go bald and remain reasonably attractive to a large enough pool of women to satisfy them.

I just know so many men who are bald/balding who have very good looking partners/wives that I'm pretty sure that unless you're moving in supermodel circles, you can indeed find plenty of dates if you're bald. As long as you look as good bald as other guys look with hair.

I think it's pretty shallow for older women not to want to date bald guys, because it's not like they're not affected by aging themselves. I feel the same way about older guys with wrinkles and age spots thinking that women look too old for them to date.

I mean, I understand the concept of preferences, but I don't understand the concept of entitlement or putting down others in/near your own age bracket. Yes, some people (male AND female) age better than other people. This is due to a combo of genetics, how well they take care of their skin, whether they smoke, if they spent too much time in the sun, etc.

Other than those factors, everyone is getting older every day so pinning one's goals on a youthful-looking person is always going to be chasing a moving target unless you just never marry and keep trading mates.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:52 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It's a good transplant. Hair looks like it did before he lost it, maybe just not as thick. He's not actually a very good looking guy anyway, so I reckon he needed all the help he could get. He's a bore, so he still cannot get women. I mean, they'll date him for his money, then they move on when they cannot tolerate him. Still single.

I do get that some men really cannot go bald and remain reasonably attractive to a large enough pool of women to satisfy them.

I just know so many men who are bald/balding who have very good looking partners/wives that I'm pretty sure that unless you're moving in supermodel circles, you can indeed find plenty of dates if you're bald. As long as you look as good bald as other guys look with hair.

I think it's pretty shallow for older women not to want to date bald guys, because it's not like they're not affected by aging themselves. I feel the same way about older guys with wrinkles and age spots thinking that women look too old for them to date.

I mean, I understand the concept of preferences, but I don't understand the concept of entitlement or putting down others in/near your own age bracket. Yes, some people (male AND female) age better than other people. This is due to a combo of genetics, how well they take care of their skin, whether they smoke, if they spent too much time in the sun, etc.

Other than those factors, everyone is getting older every day so pinning one's goals on a youthful-looking person is always going to be chasing a moving target unless you just never marry and keep trading mates.
"He's not actually a very good looking guy anyway, so I reckon he needed all the help he could get." - that's a dig at a guy's looks. Followed by the usual example of balding men with attractive women who likely had decent hair when they first met and/or are otherwise good-looking enough that they get away with it. Most men aren't good-looking, and I cynically wonder if it's true that most women scarcely notice men who aren't good-looking (except when being approached by them, "eew"). They have good-looking bald guys on the brain.

Then not many women seem to say in public that they dislike baldness, not even in Internet forums. I guess it's taboo, akin to men saying they dislike small boobs, and the uncommon exception often can be used to mask a general dislike of balding guys. The danger is that it helps lead some men to delude themselves that their hair doesn't matter. Many men seem predisposed to overrate their desirability anyway.

I think aversion to hair loss is aversion to aging and that throughout human history the majority of people over age 50+ haven't really been seeking new partners or desiring much sex with still-living current partners usually close to their age. I don't think people can much control what they are attracted to and I think they should be honest when asked their preferences, but they shouldn't ridicule others for physical features or problems they hardly brought onto themselves.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-27-2017 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 08:18 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Guys who get hair transplant look like they're trying too hard.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Guys who get hair transplant look like they're trying too hard.
I suppose, but that's only if the results look unnatural or dramatic. There are many instances where neither is true. Hair transplants take many months to grow in, by the way, which makes it possible to get real improvement without much suspicion. Maybe it was medication or a better hairstyle?

Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
May I ask if you are a man of color? I ask because IME not many white guys can pull this off, while with darker skin tones it usually looks good. Tanning can help the pale-skinned here, but tanning is now something doctors warn us away from almost as much as they do cigarettes. My older brother shaves his head, and it looks good on him, but he probably spends more time outdoors without a hat than he should.

Of course every guy's different.
Nope, I'm a white guy. It's an offensive stereotype that only African American guys can look good with their heads shaved. When I started shaving my head years ago, I got a lot of compliments - especially from women.

Quote:
Then not many women seem to say in public that they dislike baldness, not even in Internet forums. I guess it's taboo, akin to men saying they dislike small boobs, and the uncommon exception often can be used to mask a general dislike of balding guys. The danger is that it helps lead some men to delude themselves that their hair doesn't matter. Many men seem predisposed to overrate their desirability anyway.
I know for a fact that there are women out there who are turned on by bald guys like me with shaved heads - I've dated some of them.

Are there women who aren't into bald guys?! Sure! Everyone has their personal preference. For example, I'm not into thin barbie-like women, just voluptuous/curvy women.

Quote:
Don't post misinformation.
Oh, so it's misinformation that any unnecessary surgery (i.e., hair transplants) are potentially risky & in many cases look like crap? And, that these will in many cases leave permanent scars?

Why don't you just admit that you're a hair transplant doctor - or someone affiliated with a hair transplant doctor - and that's why you're talking up hair transplants on this forum?!

Several years ago, a woman at a business I would go to tried to convince me to get a hair transplant because one of her "side jobs" was being a shill for a hair transplant company/clinic (or whatever they're called). I told her that the only way I would get a hair transplant was if I could get back the full head of thick hair that I had as a teen/early 20's. That shut her up.

If you PAID ME A MILLION DOLLARS I wouldn't get a hair transplant - seriously! It's not worth the risk to my health, and I don't want permanent scarring on my head.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 01-29-2017 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-29-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Nope, I'm a white guy. It's an offensive stereotype that only African American guys can look good with their heads shaved. When I started shaving my head years ago, I got a lot of compliments - especially from women.

I know for a fact that there are women out there who are turned on by bald guys like me with shaved heads - I've dated some of them.

Are there women who aren't into bald guys?! Sure! Everyone has their personal preference. For example, I'm not into thin barbie-like women, just voluptuous/curvy women.

Oh, so it's misinformation that any unnecessary surgery (i.e., hair transplants) are potentially risky & in many cases look like crap? And, that these will in many cases leave permanent scars?

Why don't you just admit that you're a hair transplant doctor - or someone affiliated with a hair transplant doctor - and that's why you're talking up hair transplants on this forum?!

Several years ago, a woman at a business I would go to tried to convince me to get a hair transplant because one of her "side jobs" was being a shill for a hair transplant company/clinic (or whatever they're called). I told her that the only way I would get a hair transplant was if I could get back the full head of thick hair that I had as a teen/early 20's. That shut her up.

If you PAID ME A MILLION DOLLARS I wouldn't get a hair transplant - seriously! It's not worth the risk to my health, and I don't want permanent scarring on my head.
Not only AA guys - Latino guys often look good with heads shaved. White men, generally not

Spoiler
Interesting if thin women value men's hair more than curvy women do. My hunch is yes.

It is misinformation to label hair transplants "risky," because these days hair transplants are low-risk. The scar probably is the most assured negative, if the older [go figure, the abbreviation is being censored] method is used. Even that can be improved later if so desired. Or the cost is the biggest problem, but that's not cosmetic. For most white men, unless done very badly, hair transplants usually look better than the other options for deemphasizing already visible hair loss.

I am not working on behalf of any hair transplant professional. There is nobody that I would recommend. I really don't care if people here go for it or not, and I'm not trying to push anyone into it (I argued against it for at least one candidate in this thread). Just don't post slanted information that discourages others from serious considering the often-reasonable option. I put a lot of stock in truth and happiness, and therefore I hate to see them undermined. I'd be pretty darn annoyed if similarly someone were arguing against Propecia (which saves many men's hair from irreversible ruin and I would actively encourage its use by nearly all men with hair loss). Fortunately that hasn't happened and there are plenty of links I could point to in support of medication, whereas being generally pro-transplant is an unusual position.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-29-2017 at 11:56 PM..

Old 01-29-2017, 11:33 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
just peruse some online personals... by my count, 40% - 50% of women openly declare that any man who responds "must have full head of hair" -- this is consistent across all ages/races.

and of the remaining ones who don't put it in their profiles, most probably have that preference too.
Sad women that will probably get screwed over by some hairy oaf and die alone.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:39 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAN6KC_yC2g

Man: I want hair!
God: It will cost you brains.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:33 PM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
There are some men who look better bald than with hair. Vin Diesel for one. It comes down to the size, shape and proportions of the head. Bruce Willis has a great shaped dome. Mario Van Peebles does not.

I could not pull off the bald look, I would look like someone who just escaped from jail or an institution. Thankfully my hair might outlive me.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:20 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
I would like to but in short, it's highly expensive and I don't know how long lasting it will be. Thinking about doing so eventually though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty