U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,157 posts, read 2,164,081 times
Reputation: 8092

Advertisements

I strongly prefer a full head of hair on men and would support hair effective procedures that look very natural rather than the truly natural balding patches or the shaved head look, which is too much effort on a repetitive basis.

I find men with balding Jason Alexander hair (from Seinfeld) and worse, full beards or goatees but a bald head (the "upside down" look) very unappealing:

I find all the following very, very unattractive:

http://machohairstyles.com/wp-conten...ite-Strand.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DwC9y2oqx6...-bald-head.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pgZEnBC5lA...eard-style.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rSNZrDFdo3...r-bald-men.jpg

http://www.xbody.gr/wp-content/uploa...ly-620x350.jpg

(The last guy gives me the creeps. UGH!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2017, 10:45 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
4,157 posts, read 2,164,081 times
Reputation: 8092
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Guys who get hair transplant look like they're trying too hard.
I think it's just the opposite. The "bald" guys shave their heads on a daily or near-daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 12:10 AM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,650 posts, read 2,118,753 times
Reputation: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I would like to but in short, it's highly expensive and I don't know how long lasting it will be. Thinking about doing so eventually though.
The transplanted hairs should last forever, unless they were taken from fragile spots or some medical condition is involved. Not that there's any long-term data, but I think in more than 90% cases, if a transplant fails, it fails in the first year-and-half. I have seen data about lack of growth; usually most (but not 100% of) hair grows in. Blah, blah, blah, because the original hair around the new hair very likely will visibly decline. It probably still will for years look better than it did pre-transplant. And there is one person I would push to get a transplant: LeBron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 07:17 AM
 
3,608 posts, read 1,521,559 times
Reputation: 9916
Don't forget, you will all grow old (I hope) and you will all die (I know).

Male pattern baldness is just a natural thing.

Men who are not afraid of actual life, which includes aging and death, are unlikely to get hair transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 10:12 AM
Status: "So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late." (set 6 days ago)
 
3,267 posts, read 1,473,165 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The transplanted hairs should last forever, unless they were taken from fragile spots or some medical condition is involved. Not that there's any long-term data, but I think in more than 90% cases, if a transplant fails, it fails in the first year-and-half. I have seen data about lack of growth; usually most (but not 100% of) hair grows in. Blah, blah, blah, because the original hair around the new hair very likely will visibly decline. It probably still will for years look better than it did pre-transplant. And there is one person I would push to get a transplant: LeBron
Why the obsession with this. Hair transplants are not always a good option, even for men who want them. Hair loss that will lead to full male pattern baldness often takes years to fully occur. If a man starts early in his hair loss, to keep his look as close to his pre hair loss look, he'll have to get more transplants as more hair falls away. He may run out of donor sites. Many men lose some of the hair from the sides and back of their heads as time goes by (I did) and so if I had had hair transplants starting in my 20s I'd have had to repeat the procedure 6-8 times, would have run out of donor areas, and the early transplants would have continued to thin. That would have been a poor cosmetic result and it would have removed the option of shaving my head or just cutting it short due to the scarring that would be visible.

Anyway, what is your deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 11:56 AM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,650 posts, read 2,118,753 times
Reputation: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Why the obsession with this. Hair transplants are not always a good option, even for men who want them. Hair loss that will lead to full male pattern baldness often takes years to fully occur. If a man starts early in his hair loss, to keep his look as close to his pre hair loss look, he'll have to get more transplants as more hair falls away. He may run out of donor sites. Many men lose some of the hair from the sides and back of their heads as time goes by (I did) and so if I had had hair transplants starting in my 20s I'd have had to repeat the procedure 6-8 times, would have run out of donor areas, and the early transplants would have continued to thin. That would have been a poor cosmetic result and it would have removed the option of shaving my head or just cutting it short due to the scarring that would be visible.

Anyway, what is your deal with this?
Bolded -> I know and have said so. However, I disagree with the idea that many men lose hair from the donor area. I've only once noticed someone like that in the wild, and the loss was mild. That is, if we're not talking about very old men, whose hair sometimes gets thin all over. Guys, if that starts happening to you, talk to a doctor.

"Anyway," someone needs to argue on behalf of truth and well-being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,961 posts, read 4,693,910 times
Reputation: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I think it's just the opposite. The "bald" guys shave their heads on a daily or near-daily basis.
As someone who shaves his head, it is way less maintenance now than it ever was when I had hair. So in terms of effort, no contest. Would I prefer to have not started balding? Yeah, sure. But if you're purely talking maintenance, it's less now than it was before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,342 posts, read 3,956,369 times
Reputation: 4172
I started losing my hair in my mid to late 20s.. it was not cool, let me tell you.. and if i had the $ i likely would have opted for a hair transplant.. It was NOT CHEAP back then.. not sure what it is today but i don't really care much now. You get older, you get married, you have kids.. hair just isn't something you stress over.. what i have left is kept very short.. I never go to the barber etc.. i cut it myself... no worries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 02:50 PM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,650 posts, read 2,118,753 times
Reputation: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
As someone who shaves his head, it is way less maintenance now than it ever was when I had hair. So in terms of effort, no contest. Would I prefer to have not started balding? Yeah, sure. But if you're purely talking maintenance, it's less now than it was before.
That's probably true for anyone who is balding and trying to cover it up vs. shaving it regularly. I don't know how maintenance compares for normal styling vs regular head shaving. I've never shaved my head and am guessing some men need to do it more often than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 02:53 PM
Status: "So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late." (set 6 days ago)
 
3,267 posts, read 1,473,165 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Bolded -> I know and have said so. However, I disagree with the idea that many men lose hair from the donor area. I've only once noticed someone like that in the wild, and the loss was mild. That is, if we're not talking about very old men, whose hair sometimes gets thin all over. Guys, if that starts happening to you, talk to a doctor.

"Anyway," someone needs to argue on behalf of truth and well-being.
Of all the things you could get all Quixotic about, you choose this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top