Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,169,586 times

Advertisements

Hair transplants don't last for long and they're a one-time deal. They cut a big piece of skin off the back of your head, take the hair follicles out of it to stick into the top of your head, then they pull the skin on the back of your head together and then you have a big happy face scar on the back of your head. And in addition to having a big scar on the back of your head the hair that was already on top of your head keeps falling out and the transplanted hair falls out over time so in 5 or 10 years you're as bald as you were before you got the procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:28 PM

6,609 posts, read 4,828,453 times
I'm sure some men believe that, but it's false. (Okay, maybe 1% will lose the transplanted hair for some reason or other.) I already said the happy-face scar isn't the only method.

There also probably are men who won't get hair transplants because they're afraid of any surgery or think it's too much of a hassle logistically.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:17 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,504,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
It's not just a matter of money. The process, as I understand it, involves cutting a chunk of flesh from the back of your head, dicing it up, and putting those tiny little pieces consisting of 1-3 hair follicles back into your head, distributed around the balding area. Other than the temporary pain, the downside is that if the person doing this isn't really good, it can look fake (Fake ranging from, "that doesn't quite look right" to "Why does his hair look like that of a $5 doll?"). Another downside, is that you can continue to lose hair, making the pattern of implanted hair look absurd and maybe exposing scars that occurred as part of the process (another poster already pointed out these two items). Also, over time, repeated procedures to keep up with continuing hair loss can have you running out of scalp and have a price that is more like a slightly used Bentley than an average used car.
They no longer need to cut a slab of flesh from the back of your head. No scar - the follicular unit extraction (FUE) method removes multiple individual grafts from all around your head leaving plenty of hair next to the extraction so that even with a buzz cut, there is no scar or "empty space". The biggest issue for younger guys is, if you continue to lose hair after your transplant (which should not happen if you use daily minoxil) you need to ensure there are enough harvestable graft sites for future transplant if needed. For older guys who already peaked with hair loss, it's not really a concern. The procedure has evolved quickly, even in the last 5 - 10 years. If you use a skilled and experienced doctor, you are very unlikely to get an unnatural result. The business is booming, you would be surprised how many guys have had it done.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,504,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Hair transplants don't last for long and they're a one-time deal. They cut a big piece of skin off the back of your head, take the hair follicles out of it to stick into the top of your head, then they pull the skin on the back of your head together and then you have a big happy face scar on the back of your head. And in addition to having a big scar on the back of your head the hair that was already on top of your head keeps falling out and the transplanted hair falls out over time so in 5 or 10 years you're as bald as you were before you got the procedure.
All completely false. Although you can opt for "strip harvesting" that leads a scar, few do anymore. Transplanted hair is permanent, it does not fall out in 5 to 10 years. At least get educated if you are going to make an argument against it.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:30 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,305,251 times
Because they'll end up looking like Jon Gosselin does now...

Hair in the front, hair in the back, but no hair in the middle... Why? B/c he did a hair transplant when he was in his early-30s to hide his receding hair line. He's going to need to transplant his whole head. I think he looks silly like this.

SOURCE

Old 03-26-2015, 06:32 AM

37,474 posts, read 45,701,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
A sizable minority of women begins losing hair by age 60. Not one of them (barring the vegetative) is okay with that. While women's hair probably affects their attractiveness more, men aren't a different species. We have feelings, too.
Dude. Being comfortable with complete baldness is appealing in itself! If you are not aware of all the celebs that choose bald heads over a bit of hair, or doing a silly-looking comb-over....well do some googling. Really...it IS no big deal, to others. It is only a big deal to you....most women really don't care. We don't!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 AM

15 posts, read 37,033 times
Do you know how expensive hair transplants, good ones at that, actually are? They are cetainly more expensive than a used car. I have a receding hairline and i'm 26; yes it is very frustrating and I hate the thought of going bald, but hair transplants where i am range anywhere from £5,000 to £30,000. The thing is, you have to go back and forth for further treatments, so it isn't just a case of getting it done and that's it.

Also, if you're receding a lot or bald, then you will need a lot of hair follicles placed on the scalp, and for more follicles, the more money it costs. My guess is that, for a very good treatment, the cost would be between £10k - £20k. In my opinion, that is a lot of money for the average guy who isn't wealthy, and doesn't have a mass amount of savings ready to be spent on hair replacement.

I think the price of hair restoration surgery needs to be reduced a lot, as the majority of guys cannot afford those prices for hair loss treatment. Believe me, i have looked into it very thoroughly and i'm hoping in the near future i will be able to get it done, but as of right now, i can't even think about it for those prices.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,154,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
waste of money...natural always looks better, and what's wrong with that?

i don't get it either. Woman are shaving off all their hair to look like newborns, but want men to have more?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:20 PM

15,726 posts, read 20,258,585 times
I started losing my hair at age 21. Sucked, but eventually I just took the razor to it and started to like the new look. Hasn't hindered me at all, and to be honest i forget what it's like to have hair (except when it's 5 degrees out). Fortunately, i can pull off the look (or so i've been told)

I'm in mid 30's I've looked into transplants as while i don't NEED to have my hair back, it would be nice. But the good ones are just too expensive, and I'm sure i'd trust the quality of a cheap one. Plus it's never just one visit and done.

So i look at my bank account and wonder....hair transplant, or take my g/f and our children to Disney, or get us a new pool, or put that money towards a bigger house.

I really don't care if YOU don't like how i look with no hair. I have my priorities and have plenty of things more important to me right now than hair.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:26 PM

6,609 posts, read 4,828,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Dude. Being comfortable with complete baldness is appealing in itself! If you are not aware of all the celebs that choose bald heads over a bit of hair, or doing a silly-looking comb-over....well do some googling. Really...it IS no big deal, to others. It is only a big deal to you....most women really don't care. We don't!
What if that were changed to "Being comfortable with ugliness is appealing in itself"? [I'm capable of backtracking on claims, like all men craving their hair] Many black and Latino men look okay with shaved heads (and younger generations often have had their hair short for most of their lives anyway). I think most white men can't pull off the shaved look. Too many end up look sickly or big-nosed. Also, from an online dating experiment I vaguely recall, having much hair loss is ruinous there. But even if many men could get away with the chrome-dome look well, if they're unhappy about their hair loss, they cannot be talked into feeling otherwise. Again, the implication that men shouldn't have fear or sadness. What we probably have, among other reasons for transplants not being as popular as some think they should be, is a bunch of men who stuff down their unhappiness about their baldness.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-26-2015 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty