U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 01:54 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,740,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
They no longer need to cut a slab of flesh from the back of your head. No scar - the follicular unit extraction (FUE) method removes multiple individual grafts from all around your head leaving plenty of hair next to the extraction so that even with a buzz cut, there is no scar or "empty space". The biggest issue for younger guys is, if you continue to lose hair after your transplant (which should not happen if you use daily minoxil) you need to ensure there are enough harvestable graft sites for future transplant if needed. For older guys who already peaked with hair loss, it's not really a concern. The procedure has evolved quickly, even in the last 5 - 10 years. If you use a skilled and experienced doctor, you are very unlikely to get an unnatural result. The business is booming, you would be surprised how many guys have had it done.
There are only a handful of doctors specializing in the FUE method, especially those who have a favorable reputation, in the US. So most men in the US would be required to travel overnight to have a FUE procedure done by a reputable doctor. I think that factor plus the higher cost of having it done by a good doctor would be a turn off to many men. Plus there's no guaranty of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 03:12 PM

2,625 posts, read 2,113,543 times
I don't think any surgery (cosmetic or otherwise) is a guaranteed success, but I think most reputable surgeons will consider free 'revision' if things go much worse than their expectations. Whether it would be worth trying again is another story. I don't consider hair transplantation a great thing, but I believe the alternative (ongoing loss of hair or lame cover-ups) is worse for the many men who look lousy slick-bald.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:14 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,193,898 times
Quote: Why don't more men get hair transplants?

Because most of us aren't that vain. I am much more concerned with supporting and protecting my family than worrying about what Mother Nature is doing to the top of my head.

B'sides, that's what John Deere baseball caps were made for...

Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I see so many men who are bald or at least going bald. Hair transplants are not any more expensive than a used car.

I'm relatively young and not going bald yet, but as soon as I start to lose hair, I'll be at the surgeons office so fast.

Why don't more men get hair transplants? I've heard they're very successful and I wouldn't imagine it would be any worse than wisdom teeth removal.
Because many of us are not self-conscious about going bald.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:10 PM

18,536 posts, read 13,678,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Hair also protects against the sun.

Of course the main thing is that almost all men look best with a full head of hair.

Hair transplants are becoming more common and the stigma lessening, but too many people remember how bad they were decades ago and results still can be disappointing and most men have to get them on an ongoing basis to stay ahead of their lousy genetics. Also, some men are deluded by the idea that a muscular body can make up for a less attractive face.
Works for a lot of women, why not men.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:42 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,326,378 times
I'm not losing my hair! I'm getting more head.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 2,113,543 times
Because women aren't as eager for casual sex as men are? Or perhaps an example is needed. Look up Scooby Werkstatt. Though 1) his face might be so bad that hair would hardly help and 2) most men aren't going remain 'ripped' at that age, which means hair might be important in middle age than most people think.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:41 PM

138 posts, read 119,994 times

Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 PM

74 posts, read 61,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I see so many men who are bald or at least going bald. Hair transplants are not any more expensive than a used car.

I'm relatively young and not going bald yet, but as soon as I start to lose hair, I'll be at the surgeons office so fast.

Why don't more men get hair transplants? I've heard they're very successful and I wouldn't imagine it would be any worse than wisdom teeth removal.

You are only allowed so many hair transplants in your lifetime. Also if you start loosing hair and get a transplant while you are fairly young...you still might lose hair in other sections of your head and the transplant wont look natural after that.

The process is they slice the scapl open and use blades to take from the donor area and implant it in other sections. It is fairly painful and they have to inject a needle in your head to numb it.

I used to think the same way as you about getting the transplant very fast, but that is the wrong way to go about it. You dont want to have odd missing patches because the donor hair was transplanted when you were younger.

Most guys take Rogaine or take Propecia to slow down the hair loss, it can sometimes make the hair grow back. There are also concealers that so many people in the movies and on tv use. There are also high quality wigs.

So i'd wait awhile until the hairloss stops before getting a transplant.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 PM

7,961 posts, read 6,710,786 times
My experience has taught me that men's hair lines, amount of hair, etc. is much further down a women's list of interest then we men think it is.

My experience has taught me that women's breast size is much further down a man's list of interest then women think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or