Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 12:05 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It looks painful. I had some facial electrolysis back 20 years ago, fairly uncomfortable technique... I haven't done laser hair removal, but it doesn't sound as bad as electrolysis.... A hair transplant though? I bet it's comparable on the pain scale, but perhaps they have topical anesthetics or something, I'm not sure what's involved... I don't know whether or not I'd go through with that one if I were a guy.

Some guys do it for their careers, I take it, if a youthful appearance is going to help them...actors, sale reps, that kind of thing. I wonder how common it actually is. Ehh, just shave it all off and go for the Vin Diesel look....
Yes, there are topical anesthetics, and my understanding is that doctors will offer pain pills. I don't think any minor cosmetic procedure is as painful as hair removal. Even that probably rarely comes with regrets. Anticipated pain is not a valid reason to avoid a procedure that is expected to help.

And "shave it all off and go for the Vin Diesel look"?

Many men can't achieve a physique close to that, and many women don't like it either. Also, many women and men think his face is homely. If someone has a mediocre face or strangely-shaped dome, losing his hair will hurt probably more any muscular upgrade will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, good grief, isn't the topic of this forum section "how to look good"?!

Some men have a head shape that looks OK bald. Some, like me, don't. Fortunately, or maybe because of Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil), I have a full head of (grey) hair.

I just don't look good at all with a buzz cut. Tried it many years ago. Is it cool and easy to care for (or almost care-free)? You betcha. Do I look good in it? No way, no, I don't. And if you are reading and posting on this subforum, if you don't care how you look, you are in the wrong place, OK?

Maybe some guys are so out-of-shape (their own fault) and just plain fugly (not necessarily their own fault) that hair loss does not hurt their "10 scale score" that much. Probably making an effort to go from a 2 to a 3 is not worth the trouble.
I think the point about overweight men is one of the best answers to the original question given in this thread. While I believe some fat politicians have gotten hair transplants, I cannot think of any specific example of someone with much excess weight having the procedure. I could probably go through dozens of before-and-after pictures before finding one. And so many middle-aged men are large these days.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:23 AM

20 posts, read 15,509 times
Wouldn't it be better to be a NW6-7 when getting the transplant since you are done with hair loss and can finally get it over your whole head? Even if you need to do 2 operations.

When I am a NW7 I think I will still have a pretty good donor region.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:16 AM

"Hey, everyone, I just got a transplant!"

That aside, you're in denial. There is not enough hair in the back of anyone's head that he can go quite bald and then just get it over with 1, 2, or dozens of operations, unless maybe with a real surgery ("operation") that cuts out large chunks of scalp, as in the bad old days that gave transplants a terrible reputation. (It is not an option to move all the hair from the back to the top.) Instead of wasting time posting, go to a doctor and hear it from an expert.

Last edited by goodheathen; 09-10-2016 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-10-2016, 11:26 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl1717 View Post
Don't know if this was said before but...

1)Early in life I was told. Ya cant grow grass on a busy street!! ( the very wise will know this)

2)Later on, I heard women see that bald head as a sense of security..
THATS what it is! I've never been able to put my finger on what it was that I like about a guy with a bald head ... but I get it now.

It's a look of "I've arrived" vs "not there yet".

Old 09-10-2016, 11:52 AM

I cannot directly link to the picture at the top right (and also beneath the replies), but it's probably a decent result for someone trying to go from a very eroded scalp to a full head of hair.
https://www.realself.com/question/mo...air-transplant

It still looks bad (guessing at a cost of about $10000) and worse than shaving. Maybe combined with some odious tricks, it can look a little better than a shaved head on some guys.

Last edited by goodheathen; 09-10-2016 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 03:17 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
No, it's not a fact.
"50% Of A Man’s Hair Is Gone Before It Becomes Noticeable"
Top 10 hair loss facts every man should know | HIS Hair Clinic

I was about to rip into you, but then I realized you're not arguing against hair transplants. And I guess 25% coverage might satisfy some people, but I personally wouldn't be okay with that.
Noticeable to touch. I've lost about 50% thickness on the top of my head, you can clearly feel the difference but you can't see it. My hair still looks the same as it always has.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:31 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Anyone posted how much regular required follow ups after hair transplant cost?

Old 01-07-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Anyone posted how much regular required follow ups after hair transplant cost?
Unclear question. If you mean the cost of follow-up visits, I think that's built into the price of any cosmetic surgery procedure, except maybe for the few that require x-rays or other imaging. If you mean how much on follow-up transplants, anyone who claims to know that is a phony fortune teller.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:33 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Most men dont get hair transplants because they are crazy expensive. Unless you dont do your due diligence and research and go to someone who is "cheap", and, in turn, potentially ruin your life. I've seen and read enough horror stories about this to know what I'm talking about, believe me. I have an online friend who had something done called a "hair lift", also known as "The Flap", where hair bearing skin from the back is cut (but not removed) and then twisted and sewn onto the front of the scalp, making your hair in back stretch upwards, along with your ears, to say nothing of horrible scars you are left with in back.

And then the skin dies from lack of blood flow and you are left with horrible scar tissue on the front of your scalp. Then the rest of your hair falls out and your scars are exposed.

That is worst case scenario. A slightly less awful result is the pluggy appearance. Incompetent doctors still perform surgeries with sub par results. These results are often compromised by an assembly line process that values profits and speed of surgery over patient satisfaction.

The good news is FUE is quickly replacing F.U.T. (the kind that leaves a linear scar in back) as the preferred method of surgery. If you don't know the difference between these two and you are considering surgery you will regret your decision later in life, guaranteed. Not that the latter is particularly harmful, its just that you are ignorant of what you are about to decide on.

And, doctors are now harvesting non scalp hair sources for those NW7 patients with very little donor available. But it's a jungle out there, you have to be extremely careful and do copious amounts of research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty