Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 06:26 PM

29,457 posts, read 22,419,950 times

Advertisements

My hair is thinning on the top front, but I can hide it somewhat with the way I cut my hair.

I wish I had thicker hair but no way I'd get a hair transplant, at least the way it's done now. Most of it still looks unnatural to me.

I'll wait a few more years when hopefully some better technology comes around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 AM

6,610 posts, read 4,833,808 times
"Most of it." Even if that's true, that leaves room for natural-looking results. As a potential knowledgeable patient who chooses a reputable doctor, such results can be yours, if you're not very young (probably doomed to too much baldness) and become willing to undergo multiple procedures. You might as well begin researching things online and talk to a few doctors. One thing you'll learn is that nothing new is likely to appear any time soon. Plus, if you aren't taking medication, you can get it to slow down hair loss and also make sure your hair isn't about to fall apart. It can sneak up on people. Doctors who treat hair loss notice things that normal people don't.

On a macro level, I think because the average man visits doctors far less than the average woman, he is less comfortable with doctors and worse at separating the good ones from the bad, which can make a vicious cycle of avoidance or jumping into something when feeling a need to act fast (which mostly happens to people who ignore problems too long). Also, as I sort of said before, women seem to talk about medical matters much more with each other than men do. Lastly, there is the thing about men liking to be in control, which a low-knowledge guy will not feel with a doctor.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:18 AM

26 posts, read 21,723 times
I personally would rather see a man the way he is. I don't care whether he's bald or hairy. It's not about that, is it?

Old 01-18-2017, 01:09 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,122,580 times
Why? I mean, it's costly and painful. It's hair... not necessary organs.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:11 PM

4,153 posts, read 5,022,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilatorlady View Post
I personally would rather see a man the way he is. I don't care whether he's bald or hairy. It's not about that, is it?
just peruse some online personals... by my count, 40% - 50% of women openly declare that any man who responds "must have full head of hair" -- this is consistent across all ages/races.

and of the remaining ones who don't put it in their profiles, most probably have that preference too.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:09 PM

Nobody would say "It's only hair" to a woman. Not that I'd call a hair transplant for a man necessary. It's probably worth considering, though, purely for looking better. Of course, some men aren't open to any cosmetic procedures.

And nobody should say a modern hair transplant is "painful" before reading several pages of this thread or Googling. Because that's largely false and most hair transplant horror stories don't fixate on pain. I'm tired of fighting the ignorance and misinformation!

That leaves the only legitimate argument against hair transplant for most men as cost? I have no idea whether it's generally worth it from a cost-benefits perspective.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
just peruse some online personals... by my count, 40% - 50% of women openly declare that any man who responds "must have full head of hair" -- this is consistent across all ages/races.

and of the remaining ones who don't put it in their profiles, most probably have that preference too.
What websites? I haven't seen that, but I don't view many dating profiles. I do think it's true for 20-something women. Plus, I have seen this before. Women prefer men with a full head of hair - Telegraph

Old 01-18-2017, 03:35 PM

277 posts, read 324,956 times
I've a serious widows peak and a bald spot on the back of my head.

I keep the sides of my head buzzed very close to the skin and a little longer in the front.

Why not a hair transplant? Because I do not care. My hair is clean cut and looks fine. If a potential GF had a problem with it I'd not waste a minutes time with her.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:50 PM

1,188 posts, read 955,210 times
A hair transplant procedure adds no more than a couple thousand hairs to the top of your head. That's not enough to fill in more than a couple square inches of full density. If you've lost 1/2 or more of your hair, there's not much use of a transplant. But, if your hair loss has stabilized after receding on the sides a bit, and you want to make up most of your lost ground, a hair transplant makes sense.

It's reasonable to think of it as an investment given the fact that you can't put a price on confidence and given the fact that looking better gives you more dating and career options.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
I've a serious widows peak and a bald spot on the back of my head.

I keep the sides of my head buzzed very close to the skin and a little longer in the front.

Why not a hair transplant? Because I do not care. My hair is clean cut and looks fine. If a potential GF had a problem with it I'd not waste a minutes time with her.
Hello, bravado, Most likely, 1) you wouldn't know and 2) you'd be rejected first. That would get old if you're one of the men whose looks fall off significantly when balding.

I think that's the rare exception to the rule, Don't get plastic surgery for someone else. Better to cater to common superficiality than be unhappy. However, don't cater to someone who would stop 'loving' you after the almost-inevitable mild/moderate hair loss; almost nobody can get natural hair restored to the point where it forever will resemble a full head of hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty