U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,522,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
I have been to 45 states, to many big cities, many small cities and it seems to me that the most beautiful people are typically in the larger cities. Why is it that the more cosmopolitan a person is the more beautiful they are?

Not saying that only ugly people live in rural areas. Have seen hotties in the middle of no where but just very few of them.

Is it Competition? more current with trends? Aren't people in the city typically busier and should theoretically have less time to groom themselves and are generally more stressed out, no?
I think its more important to dress a certain way, and present yourself a certain way while in a city. Look at NYC. What else is there to do? The main focus is fashion and grooming. Not everyone has a car to show off in an urban environment, but everyone has clothes, lol.

Its not like you will be hiking through the woods, and other outdoorsy stuff like you do in rural areas.

Even people who live in rurals areas usually dress and groom a bit better when going into the city.

As you say, rural areas are not as populated as cities, so of course, beautiful people will be farther and fewer between. On the bright side, so will the ugly people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 09:17 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,573,905 times
There's also more variation in the more populated places. If you have a small town with a smaller gene pool moving about, That's different than a massive city with more interracial relationships, for example.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:43 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,574,424 times
Because cities are hubs for fashion, the young, and high profile jobs. You can absolutely tell from walking around a city like New York that people are generally more attractive and better dressed than what is common elsewhere in the country. Why would a supermodel live in Kansas if they're trying to start a career? Try going to an exclusive nightclub in NYC or LA and the people in there will look like they were crafted directly from the hands of god.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:06 AM

6,940 posts, read 7,658,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Because cities are hubs for fashion, the young, and high profile jobs. You can absolutely tell from walking around a city like New York that people are generally more attractive and better dressed than what is common elsewhere in the country. Why would a supermodel live in Kansas if they're trying to start a career? Try going to an exclusive nightclub in NYC or LA and the people in there will look like they were crafted directly from the hands of god.
In a word, MONEY. Cities are where you find the high-paying jobs. When you have one of those jobs, you try to look like all the other people at that employer, and start spending your money on make-up, hair color, new dental crowns, clothing, manicures, etc. This is why it is difficult to really save much money when working in a city. Too many people trying to imitate the "metro" look, and you must fit in.

"Crafted directly from the hands of God" Lol...how true. It's the hands of the surgeon, not God!

Old 03-22-2015, 10:21 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,520,511 times
Spend a few days in Portland and you'll be surprised at how casual and ungroomed, even quirky, a lot of people are. That's the culture. Whenever I go to New Orleans and see the women look far dressier for an outdoor event it is like fresh air to me - and New Orleans is considerably smaller.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:56 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,421,135 times
There are a number of reasons you tend to notice more beautiful people in cities. One reason is that there are simply more people. Another is that men and women in cities tend to dress in a way that flatters them, and yes some beautiful people come to the city for the same reasons everyone does--opportunity.

However, I've started to notice that people in the rural areas that my relatives live in are starting to look a lot better in general. It used to be that it seemed like anyone over 30 was universally obese but there is more of an effort to stay healthy.

By the way, older people in their 70's/80's do just fine here. Elevators are very useful things when you advance in years--and we've got plenty of them.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:05 AM

7,542 posts, read 8,079,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
I have been to 45 states, to many big cities, many small cities and it seems to me that the most beautiful people are typically in the larger cities. Why is it that the more cosmopolitan a person is the more beautiful they are?

Not saying that only ugly people live in rural areas. Have seen hotties in the middle of no where but just very few of them.

Is it Competition? more current with trends? Aren't people in the city typically busier and should theoretically have less time to groom themselves and are generally more stressed out, no?
There are more quality beauticians and make up counters in big cities than there are in small towns.

You have to know what you are doing to make a homely dame beautiful, and those guys that are experts congregate in your major metropolises.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:13 AM

72,664 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
yes I agree,,

but also less physical stress,,,
most city jobs are not as laborious as working 16 hrs a day on a farm

a lot of hard miles on the country folks
The OP isn't talking about urban vs. rural, city vs, farm, though. He said people are more attractive in the bigger cities vs. the smaller towns. Most people in smaller towns don't do farmwork. They do office work or teach, like the people in big cities.

I think it depends on the part of the country. In all the small towns I've been in around coastal CA and coastal WA, people look the same as in the big cities. Same in the Southwest. I wonder if the OP saw some of those same small-town people he thinks are unattractive walking around the big city on the weekend, would he see them in a different light? I think some of his perceptions are his own imagination. Unless it's some kind of odd regional phenomenon. But he claims he's observed this in all but 5 states.

Which 5 states haven't you been to, OP?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:18 AM

72,664 posts, read 64,111,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There are more quality beauticians and make up counters in big cities than there are in small towns.

You have to know what you are doing to make a homely dame beautiful, and those guys that are experts congregate in your major metropolises.
Most of the people at dept. store makeup counters have very little training at all. They don't know what they're doing. That's not where women typically learn their makeup skills. Make-up wearing isn't a big city vs. small town thing, anyway, necessarily. It's much more complex than that.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:43 AM

1,428 posts, read 769,984 times
Beauty is one of the coins of the realm, often as valuable as actual coin, and it doesn't take long in this sink-or-swim world for little girls (and boys) to figure that out. it's worth a lot more in the big city where the ambitious people go; you learn not to waste it on the boy next door, if you're ambitious. I think there's been a story or two along those plot lines...
Also, as others have said; having kids wrecks you, especially if you're doing it on a small salary with a spouse who doesn't help much or isn't even there. That would describe a lot of the mothers today in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or