U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,458,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I think its more important to dress a certain way, and present yourself a certain way while in a city. Look at NYC. What else is there to do? The main focus is fashion and grooming.
What else is there to do in New York City?

I have a hunch there may be a few other things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 01:51 PM

484 posts, read 453,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Of course I did, but you still didn't get it. Your physical location and environment is the key. The Chameleon effect. You adapt your appearance to suit the surroundings. Everyone does it. Funerals, weddings, church, interview, social events, workplace, and so on. Its called "Adaption." You where in the city instead, comparing it with country. Huge difference between the two, for all the reasons folks here gave you, post after post, and still, "zing" it went right over your head. Same people, "Painted" to suit their environment.

City: More people, more competition, more need to distinguish yourself from others to stand out as more special, or just to be "Normal" to your surroundings, where standards are higher.

Country: Go to Walmart. Observe. Laid back, comfortable, and some, down right disgusting. The majority, Normal to their surroundings.
I got exactly what you were implying but that doesn't answer my question.

Just because everyone looks alike in the city via your "Chameleon effect" doesn't explain why they look better than folks in rural areas.

The question, in your language, which has been answered by other posters, is:
Why is "normal" ugly in rural areas?

Old 03-23-2015, 02:09 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
What else is there to do in New York City?

I have a hunch there may be a few other things...
I think what the poster meant was 'what else is there to do to show off/stand out'...when you don't have a car or a house or a boat, etc. what you have is your looks and your talent and your clothes.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:23 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,216,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
yes I agree,,

but also less physical stress,,,
most city jobs are not as laborious as working 16 hrs a day on a farm

a lot of hard miles on the country folks
Yep cause anyone not living in the city is working on a farm.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,216,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! I keep reading complaints on some of the C-D forums about "all" the obese women around. Where? Where are they? There's no epidemic of obesity anywhere, where I've lived. But the western states statistically have a lot less of that, anyway. And you're right re: your points in the first paragraph. Even if women don't wear makeup in certain areas, they do tend to watch fashion to some extent, and dress in a flattering way. And they tend to be physically active, and go to the gym or walk or jog, hike, etc.
I hate to admit it but in the South obesity is very prevalent. Rural and urban and especially young people. I started noticing it especially on vacations at the beach. I'm overweight so I was alway self conscious and the more I looked around the slimmer I felt. It finally hit me how big the epidemic really is. The worst part was many of these obese people were in their mid to late 20's and already morbidly obese. That's before having children and age related ailments as an excuse.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:16 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,286,737 times
In cities you are more likely to see more people, of all types. Beautiful, ugly so on and so forth.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:40 PM

34,671 posts, read 42,823,353 times
People who are in cities during the day, typically are working at a job in which they make the effort to present themselves well. Us suburbanites tend to just throw a raincoat over our sweatpants and head out the door.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:57 PM

21,036 posts, read 15,345,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I grew up in a small town. Generally kids look fine but then as adults people get very bad habits. a lot of drinking, especially beer. Bad diets. Those american sports bar style restaurants with huge portions of "wings" and burgers and extra large beers are the most popular. Pretty much everyone over age 25 is fat. In fact there is more pressure for people to conform and 'eat up' than there is to stay slim. In large cities, it is the opposite. There is more pressure to be thin, and there are many choices for healthy eating.

In regards to fashion, in smaller towns there is simply nowhere to buy cool clothes. There's target, and wal-mart, and maybe a place to buy sports related clothing, hunting clothes, and old lady clothes. There's also no real pressure to look nice. Everything is functional. There's something to be said for comfort, but an overweight person in baggy jeans and sweatshirts just isn't going to look very good.

It's changed a lot over the years. Back when I was growing up in the 1980s there were some bad styles in vogue, but older people looked classy. Now even old people just wear sweats, baggy jeans, sweat shirts, ball caps, and cheap sports wear. Basically everyone wears the same thing: jeans, sneakers, a sports cap, a sports related sweatshirt or realtree camo sweatshirt, sports logo t-shirts or golf shirts. Men, women, young, old, white, hispanic, etc, all dress alike.

I actually think people in smaller towns are more uptight about clothing than in the city. If you are wearing the wrong sports team hat, or are wearing "Nike" instead of "Under Armour", someone will mention it. If you are wearing something other than a t shirt, golf shirt or sweatshirt, people think you are gay. My dad had extra clothes for me when I visited, so he wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with me at the golf course in my homosexual button down shirts. When I lived in a big city, nobody ever said anything about what I wore.
There are also plenty of those fattening options in larger metros. I wouldn't want to be somewhere where Nike vs. Under Armour is a point of contention.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:59 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,275,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP isn't talking about urban vs. rural, city vs, farm, though. He said people are more attractive in the bigger cities vs. the smaller towns. Most people in smaller towns don't do farmwork. They do office work or teach, like the people in big cities.

I think it depends on the part of the country. In all the small towns I've been in around coastal CA and coastal WA, people look the same as in the big cities. Same in the Southwest. I wonder if the OP saw some of those same small-town people he thinks are unattractive walking around the big city on the weekend, would he see them in a different light? I think some of his perceptions are his own imagination. Unless it's some kind of odd regional phenomenon. But he claims he's observed this in all but 5 states.

Which 5 states haven't you been to, OP?
When I read the OP's comments, and many subsequent comments, I was thinking exactly along the lines of your comments.

I would say there is a difference that I've observed between large city folks and small town folks, but I think there are more regional differences than just big city/small town differences.

We've traveled quite a bit, and it seems (and this is a big generalization) that were the climate is more mild year round....you see better groomed and healthier fit people.....in general.

Let's face it, if you live in a more severe climate, you're bound to be more in tune with function, utility, and more in survival mode than those who can walk outside in flip flops and shorts much of the year and light spring/fall jackets for the balance of the year. As far as obesity is concerned....if you live where more "skin" is shown much of the year, you're probably going to be more concerned about those extra pounds than someone who's buried under 3 or 4 layers of clothing 6 months a year.

Certain areas of the country do just seem to appeal to those who love vigorous outdoor (and perhaps indoor too) activities and wish to stay fit, trim and these people quite naturally take care of themselves both inside and outside typically. High humidity coupled with high temps also has a negative effect.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:06 PM

1,210 posts, read 853,451 times
Dentists.
Orthodontists.
Tanning Salons.
Mani/Pedi shops.
Brow bars.
Laser Skin treatments.
Botox clinics.
Gyms.

On Every Corner.

How many 'hayseed country girls' even know what 'Ombre hair' is?
How many 'portly rural Costco shoppers' even know what 'circle contact lenses' are?

Once I had a penpal who grew up in an essentially rural desert. She asked what I did last weekend, I told her I ran 8 miles, gearing myself up for an upcoming half-marathon. She said 'it was too hot to run in desert, nobody did that' in her town. She moved to the big city for school.

So 'more attractive types' are sucked into the city - leaving the less mobile, less ambitious, less attractive types behind in the small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or