U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 PM

246 posts, read 209,078 times

Advertisements

First off, don't be fooled. The "beauty" you are referring to is not real at all--it is pretty artificial. Have you looked at the "beautiful" people up close? I mean, really close? Some of the women have quite the morning routine to apply all that paint--we're talking 20-30 minutes just for makeup. Unrecognizable without it. Don't get me started on the guys that tan (and wax their eyebrows--ew).

Next, take the designer clothes and the $800 haircut/color and blowout away. After all those layers are peeled away, they look like just a normal person.

It's about access to resources, and the need to cultivate a certain "look" to obtain and maintain those resources. Cities are competitive as far as jobs are concerned, and people do what they feel like they have to in order to compete. Not only that, city dwellers have to fit in to certain social circles to network for those jobs, and looking the part, unfortunately, is fitting in.

However, I don't consider them beautiful. And it makes me tired to look at them sometimes...all that wasted effort to look more fake...give me a wholesome, natural look any day, even if it's not in vogue at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:27 PM

6,851 posts, read 4,446,270 times
It merits reiterating that while some aspects of "beauty" devolve to cosmetics, clothing, self-presentation and various accouterments, or even plastic surgery, not everything is thus superficial. Height-weight proportionality and body fat percentage are neither superficial nor easily remedied by a trip to the department store.

One often hears, or at least used to hear, of the "natural" unadulterated beauty of the village-girl. But in modern America, said village girl, if she has any sense of self-advancement, will have moved to the city.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:05 PM

484 posts, read 454,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda79 View Post
First off, don't be fooled. The "beauty" you are referring to is not real at all--it is pretty artificial. Have you looked at the "beautiful" people up close? I mean, really close? Some of the women have quite the morning routine to apply all that paint--we're talking 20-30 minutes just for makeup. Unrecognizable without it. Don't get me started on the guys that tan (and wax their eyebrows--ew).

Next, take the designer clothes and the $800 haircut/color and blowout away. After all those layers are peeled away, they look like just a normal person.

It's about access to resources, and the need to cultivate a certain "look" to obtain and maintain those resources. Cities are competitive as far as jobs are concerned, and people do what they feel like they have to in order to compete. Not only that, city dwellers have to fit in to certain social circles to network for those jobs, and looking the part, unfortunately, is fitting in.

However, I don't consider them beautiful. And it makes me tired to look at them sometimes...all that wasted effort to look more fake...give me a wholesome, natural look any day, even if it's not in vogue at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
It merits reiterating that while some aspects of "beauty" devolve to cosmetics, clothing, self-presentation and various accouterments, or even plastic surgery, not everything is thus superficial. Height-weight proportionality and body fat percentage are neither superficial nor easily remedied by a trip to the department store.

One often hears, or at least used to hear, of the "natural" unadulterated beauty of the village-girl. But in modern America, said village girl, if she has any sense of self-advancement, will have moved to the city.
Is what you guys describe a "devolution of beauty" or has this always been the case? Hasn't beauty always been established by some social expectation to look a certain way? When in human history has beauty been the actual bare skin and bones of one's face?

Even the Ancient Egyptians/Chinese/Greek wore make up and had outfits that made them more desirable and "beautiful". Beauty is just adhering to a constantly changing image identified as attractive by cultural norms and those in power.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:46 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,919,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
Why is it that people are often more beautiful in the city?
I cant speak for all "people" but I can say what I think when it comes to women. City women just care more about how they look. Country folk (with the rare exception of well-to-do southern Belles who dont work) spend more time with horses, cows, tractors, etc. and get dirty so they dont bother wearing nice fancy designer clothes.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:33 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,788,017 times
Not the case at all in cities like SF, DC, Seattle, or Portland. Those cities are Hollywood for ugly people.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:23 PM

8,417 posts, read 7,418,894 times
Quote:
lots of unskilled laborers and migrant workers in small towns
Funny that people like this think small towns mean farming communities. Wrong. 50 years ago, it took 30% of all working people in the entire country to produce the food for the nation. Today, it is 1.5% of the population. I know modern farmers, that farm thousands of acres. What used to take a lot of people to handle the farm, today the owner and one hired person. Lets take a modern corn farm. Instead of a crew of men to prepare the land, plant, and later harvest the corn, lets look at how it is done today. One man (often the owner) drives a huge $200,000 and more tractor, that prepares the land. Then changing equipment the on man plants the crop. At time of harvest, they use another machine that cuts the stalks, takes off the ears, and shells the corn with a big pipe blowing it into an attached trailer. When full, they stop, a truck hooks to the trailer and pulls it away as another replaces it. While one man (or the farmers wife or daughter) drive the truck to the silo where it is blown into the silo either on their property or at the commercial receiver. By the time they get back to the farm, another trailer is being pulled away, and that full one goes to the silo.

Today the only crops that use a lot of migrant workers, are row crops and orchards. They are developing and some farmers use machines to pick row crops. Example Lettice. The machine goes down say 4 rows at a time. The machine uses electric eye to decide which heads to cut and these go by conveyor belt to the truck.

Todays factories are being put in small town areas, such as foreign owned auto plants. Time has marched on, and small towns are changing, and the cities are where the illegal immigrants are moving to today. There are huge percentages of the population in those big cities, that are the manual labor types, far more than the small towns.

Lets take Los Angeles America's most populous city. Over 25% of the people in the city, live in poverty, the highest percentage of any city in the whole country.

Anyone looks around cities like this, will soon discover huge poverty rates, and a class that tries to let everyone know they are better than the rest, dressing to the nines, Botox and Face Lifts for both men and women. Make up often put on with a putty knife, to try to look extra good. False beauty.

Small town people know everyone in town. They don't have to put on those false airs to say I am better than you that some in the city do.

The real difference, is in small towns the people are real, and in the big cities you have a certain group of people that are so artificial. The rest of the people resemble small town residents. Just average people, with a huge percentage of the much poorer than the small town people.

As far as the ability to shop, people in the country just go to the Internet and order anything they want from the biggest stores in the country which are all going Internet Stores, and some even go out of business as retail stores and go 100% internet stores and make a heck of a lot of money doing it.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,225,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Dentists.
Orthodontists.
Tanning Salons.
Mani/Pedi shops.
Brow bars.
Laser Skin treatments.
Botox clinics.
Gyms.

On Every Corner.

How many 'hayseed country girls' even know what 'Ombre hair' is?
How many 'portly rural Costco shoppers' even know what 'circle contact lenses' are?

Once I had a penpal who grew up in an essentially rural desert. She asked what I did last weekend, I told her I ran 8 miles, gearing myself up for an upcoming half-marathon. She said 'it was too hot to run in desert, nobody did that' in her town. She moved to the big city for school.

So 'more attractive types' are sucked into the city - leaving the less mobile, less ambitious, less attractive types behind in the small towns.
I had to look up circle contact lenses myself.lol however ombre color has always been popular in the South. Intentional or not.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:48 AM

14,556 posts, read 11,567,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I had to look up circle contact lenses myself.lol however ombre color has always been popular in the South. Intentional or not.
Im from the city and dont know what Ombre hair is .. hahaha.. city slickers may have more shops etc but the country girls have nicer skin in general...

Old 03-27-2015, 03:02 AM

12,635 posts, read 14,665,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I cant speak for all "people" but I can say what I think when it comes to women. City women just care more about how they look. Country folk (with the rare exception of well-to-do southern Belles who dont work) spend more time with horses, cows, tractors, etc. and get dirty so they dont bother wearing nice fancy designer clothes.

I don't know what to say about this. For one, there are no southern belles anymore. That was during the Civil War era. For another, "not city" isn't synonymous with "country folk." I live in Kansas and I would guess that you think everyone is Kansas is hanging out with the horses, cows, tractors, etc. and getting dirty so they don't bother wearing nice fancy designer clothes. You'd be wrong. In fact, although I have been around all those things in the past, no one I know currently has a farm, horses, cows, or tractors. Everyone in Kansas doesn't own a farm. Not even close. And guess what? There are farms, horses, cows and tractors in California, too. I saw them.

When I was in California I was wondering where all the beautiful people I'd always heard about were. The people in California looked pretty much the same as the people in Kansas. I expected everyone in California to be fit and tanned and toned and beautiful. But they really were no different than Kansans. I mean, you won't see people in Kansas wearing false eyelashes and clothes like Kim Kardashian. They would just look stupid. But at least they KNOW it looks stupid.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:49 AM

6,851 posts, read 4,446,270 times
From my vantage point, the number of persons sporting garish self-decoration is small everywhere except for the toniest enclaves. Even in Los Angeles or Manhattan, few people will be dressed like peacocks.

The key point, I think, is that the young-professional upper-middle-class demographic is the fit-and-attractive one. And this demographic, almost by definition, congregates in the larger cities. Again, this isn't because of designer clothing from Nieman-Marcus or the latest lipstick or plastic surgery. Rather, it's because these are the young-adults who were shepherded to ballet and karate and lacrosse in middle-school and high-school, who made Eagle Scout and scored 1500 on their SATs (by the old scoring system), who attended a selective university, obtained good grades which led to good jobs, and who kept fit throughout their 20s and 30s. While occasionally such kids are raised in small towns, they tend to move away upon going to college, and don't return.

Our smaller towns suffer both a brain-drain and a beauty-drain, with the exception of college-towns or isolated enclaves of quirkiness and affluence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or