U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:31 AM

17,237 posts, read 22,286,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
From my vantage point, the number of persons sporting garish self-decoration is small everywhere except for the toniest enclaves. Even in Los Angeles or Manhattan, few people will be dressed like peacocks.

The key point, I think, is that the young-professional upper-middle-class demographic is the fit-and-attractive one. And this demographic, almost by definition, congregates in the larger cities. Again, this isn't because of designer clothing from Nieman-Marcus or the latest lipstick or plastic surgery. Rather, it's because these are the young-adults who were shepherded to ballet and karate and lacrosse in middle-school and high-school, who made Eagle Scout and scored 1500 on their SATs (by the old scoring system), who attended a selective university, obtained good grades which led to good jobs, and who kept fit throughout their 20s and 30s. While occasionally such kids are raised in small towns, they tend to move away upon going to college, and don't return.

Our smaller towns suffer both a brain-drain and a beauty-drain, with the exception of college-towns or isolated enclaves of quirkiness and affluence.
I disagree,,, small towns often despise arrogance, and any uppity attitudes, people are more genuine, less about me me me

not because they are poor, not because they are uneducated, its because they are more realists, real people that work for a living..

how does a farmer connect a a fashion guru that makes mega-bucks having a picture taken??? based on looks? based on flair??

the "wow! look at me" attitude is discouraged in many small towns,,,, the shallowness, fakeness, self-centeredness,,

also keep in mind,,,how many people live in the big cities?? they are crammed in like
flies,,,,
so, it will appear, there are more good looking people in the cities,,and if you ever do want to become a model or actor, people go to the cities for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 06:31 PM

1,580 posts, read 4,143,942 times
And how many of these beautiful people walking the streets of NYC & Chicago & LA are actually originally from the area? Many of these GL people in such cities are likely from some smaller city somewhere else.

Also as someone mentioned it depends on the area of the city center. Likely not the working-class or poorer/ rougher parts of town.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:38 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,789,291 times
I haven't traveled in the rural Sunbelt areas enough, but in northern states it seems like the pretty people all hide in the country and it's most frumpy, unattractive folks who dominate the cities. You go to the urban core of cities like Detroit, Omaha, Des Moines, Seattle, and it's mostly overweight or just plain ugly people (many of whom are hipsters). But step aside in the rural part of the state and you suddenly see all these organic-fed hotties. Some of the most attractive men I've ever seen were in bumsquat towns in Montana and Central Washington (wtf?). They breed tall people up in that region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or