Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 03:52 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,626 times

Advertisements

Why do people criticize cosmetic procedures in recent years? There’s a thread from 2007 that’s 7-8 pages of people listing procedures they have or want. Recently there were discussions here about different people wanting to have work done. Responses were so judgmental. A lot of people saying rather than have surgery spend the money on therapy for self esteem issues. I mean really? Really! Do people who wear makeup need their self esteem worked on? Why this new wave of disapproval?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 05:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
Some people who rely heavily on makeup probably would be better off with surgery than that or therapy. Going to a mental-health professional for some issues can be a money pit.

Anyway, I've noticed the hostility toward cosmetic surgery in the years I've been around this website. Maybe it's specifically toward men who want procedures, like a stealth man-bashing plus man-up mentality, and for a few physical conditions, also crabs-in-a-bucket thinking.

Last edited by goodheathen; 10-18-2018 at 06:16 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 05:51 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Many have always disapproved the, "OMG!, I have a wrinkle!" group.

Plastic surgery and supporting procedures used to be the territory of the unfortunate--birth defects, disease, and accident victims--and the very rich or Hollywood types.

We're now looking at an army of bad boob jobs and filler misuse. It's pathetic. I think that if someone can't put up with their little nose bump, tiny scar, or suggestion of a furrow, that they have more of a problem than any procedure can correct.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Many have always disapproved the, "OMG!, I have a wrinkle!" group.

Plastic surgery and supporting procedures used to be the territory of the unfortunate--birth defects, disease, and accident victims--and the very rich or Hollywood types.

We're now looking at an army of bad boob jobs and filler misuse. It's pathetic. I think that if someone can't put up with their little nose bump, tiny scar, or suggestion of a furrow, that they have more of a problem than any procedure can correct.
How is a woman who had children and is unhappy with her body pathetic? Or a young man who has man boobs wanting to look better at the beach? Yes people can over do procedures but a lot of people differ in opinion when it comes to aesthetics. I don’t understand how if you see a person and think “oh they look good.” And find out they had a procedure done it’s then a different story and sometimes down right disrespectful reactions.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Some people who rely heavily on makeup probably would be better off with surgery than that or therapy. Going to a mental-health professional for some issues can be a money pit.

Anyway, I've noticed the hostility toward cosmetic surgery in the years I've been around this website. Maybe it's specifically toward men who want procedures, like a stealth man-bashing plus man-up mentality, and for a few physical conditions, also crabs-in-a-bucket thinking.
I see that some are jealous that they don’t have the courage to change things they don’t like but I don’t understand how a person can see a good looking person (in their words) then find out the person had something done now suddenly that person is no longer attractive. Is it just pettiness?

Old 10-18-2018, 07:30 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
How is a woman who had children and is unhappy with her body pathetic? Or a young man who has man boobs wanting to look better at the beach? Yes people can over do procedures but a lot of people differ in opinion when it comes to aesthetics. I don’t understand how if you see a person and think “oh they look good.” And find out they had a procedure done it’s then a different story and sometimes down right disrespectful reactions.
I guess it will always come down to correcting traumatic injuries versus attempt's to Improve one's sense of failures .. or need to (in their mind become some sort of look-a-like they believe beautiful - GAG me with a spoon)

Even ethical Plastic Surgeon's know this concept which as most ethical Surgeons always ask WHY?? Especially IF there is nothing wrong!!

Those who can afford stand that experience negative results and sue kind of make me LOL.. Because most ethical Plastic surgeons wouldn't perform such surgery to begin with!

In my Lifetime.. I've dealt with some who have suffered fire damages/ other trauma due to being thrown threw Windshields Face First.. HUUUGE difference when some seek facial reconstrustion and a HUGE DIFFERENCE when it comes to HC Coverages!! One is REPAIRING .. the other is COSMETIC.. Cosmetic Surgery will never be covered by Insurance ( at least in my world)!!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I guess it will always come down to correcting traumatic injuries versus attempt's to Improve one's sense of failures .. or need to (in their mind become some sort of look-a-like they believe beautiful - GAG me with a spoon)

Even ethical Plastic Surgeon's know this concept which as most ethical Surgeons always ask WHY?? Especially IF there is nothing wrong!!

Those who can afford stand that experience negative results and sue kind of make me LOL.. Because most ethical Plastic surgeons wouldn't perform such surgery to begin with!

In my Lifetime.. I've dealt with some who have suffered fire damages/ other trauma due to being thrown threw Windshields Face First.. HUUUGE difference when some seek facial reconstrustion and a HUGE DIFFERENCE when it comes to HC Coverages!! One is REPAIRING .. the other is COSMETIC.. Cosmetic Surgery will never be covered by Insurance ( at least in my world)!!
On what planet do you find plastic surgeons who don’t offer breast implants? That is 75% of their business. And the fact that you find a person trying to be ‘in their mind’ beautiful becoming disfigured funny makes you a despicable person. And who said anything about insurance? People finance their own beauty!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:03 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I'm not the one who used the word pathetic; you are.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:28 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times
Years ago we were searching for a missing woman. The pictures we were provided did not match the woman, who was eventually found unharmed, at all. Reason being she wore so much makeup on a daily basis and none of her family or friends knew what she looked like without it. Long story short, the woman just wanted to get away and was never in any harm. She was just tired of her over controlling family.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:40 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,028 times
Hmmm, I wonder why.....?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Botchedsurgeries/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty