U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:43 AM

944 posts, read 769,054 times

Advertisements

I haven't tried these yet, but they are super cute IMO. I'm a big fan of Joyfolie and actually followed her blog before she became big. I'm planning on ordering a pair soon.

Women's Shoes - Shop Our Latest Styles | Joyfolie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 08:46 AM

5,538 posts, read 4,378,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I tore both my achilles tendons, which required surgery and a very long recovery process. I have always been a walker and have very strong legs and feet, but I just can't take heels any longer. So after the achilles tendon drama, I got rid of all my cheap, unsubstantial shoes and slowly replaced them with Born, Cole Hahn, Ecco and Dansko (for the most part).

All of those brands have some very cute flats with good support and cushioning. Hint: take it slow and hit the end of season sales. You can buy them for pennies on the dollar. I also found some great deals on eBay and these brands seem to run very true to size so I've had good luck ordering them online. I do have an easy to fit foot though - not too wide and not too narrow and with a normal arch.

Your feet will love you.

Note on Danskos - yes, they are extremely comfortable! Yes, they also tend to be chunky. I think they look best on people with slim ankles (thank GOODNESS my ankles regained their shape after the surgery, even if one is a little bigger than the other - LOL). They also tend to be heavy, so keep that in mind.

Born makes some fabulous shoes, including flats and lots of clogs. Super comfortable. They also make some great sandals. Warning - I haven't been as pleased by "Born Concepts" as I have been by regular "Born" shoes, which are more expensive than the "Concepts" line. "Concepts" are not nearly as substantial, nor do they last as long. You may as well leave your Born shoes to someone in your will, because they will be around long after you're moldering in the grave!

And the most comfortable "cute" sneakers I've found are by Ecco.

Oh, and don't forget Keen when it comes to casual sandals, which are also great for walking, hiking, or wearing around water.
I love the way Danskos look, but have never owned a pair. I do like clogs though. Born are great too if you find the right pair. I bought some and then found that the strap kept slipping.

I bought a pair of Birkenstock clogs last fall and loved them for wearing around the house. I could never find a decent pair of slippers for indoor wear. These were comfy worn with socks.

I just bought a pair of Birkenstock sandals - 1 strap - and love them. Very comfy.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:04 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,533,769 times
A tip ... if you look into Danskos, also look into Sanitas. Up until the mid-2000s, they were basically the same company. They ended their manufacturing agreement and separated. Today's Sanitas are basically the same as the Danskos of the early 2000's that were so popular. Today's Danskos are apparently different.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 AM
'M'

1,770 posts, read 2,502,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
....I got rid of all my cheap, unsubstantial shoes and slowly replaced them with Born, Cole Hahn, Ecco and Dansko (for the most part).
I agree with the Born, Ecco and Dansko. Plus Keen. I'd add another brand made in Israel and I forget the name...have several pairs of sandals from them. Plus Merrell with the Qform footbed for women. I try to buy the more feminine-looking styles, too. It's always worth it to check these brands to see what feminine styles they have, like the flats. I have a high instep with a bony bump on top, which can sometimes be a challenge. I even have a pair of especially comfortable Borns with a strap across the instep that I wear for absolutely everything...even hiking in the mtns. People always compliment these shoes, even though they do have a substantial non-slip sole, but nothing like Doc Martens...LOL! In Denver, where I live, there is a shoe store called Dardano's...they have cute flats and all of the better brands like we are recommending. Expensive, yes. But well worth it...these brands will last forever. BTW, there is just something about my feet that don't partner well with the really inexpensive shoes that don't offer a lot of support.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:55 AM

3,970 posts, read 8,618,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
I agree with the Born, Ecco and Dansko. Plus Keen. I'd add another brand made in Israel and I forget the name...have several pairs of sandals from them.
I assume you mean Naot - they are awesome too but for me there's nothing like Dansko!.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:41 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,396,206 times
TravelSmith has great comfortable shoes. They aren't cheap, but the two pair I bought have lasted years. I've had one pair for 7 years and another pair for 5. They still look great and are wonderful for long trips and running through airports!

Old 03-23-2015, 12:49 PM

5,538 posts, read 4,378,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
TravelSmith has great comfortable shoes. They aren't cheap, but the two pair I bought have lasted years. I've had one pair for 7 years and another pair for 5. They still look great and are wonderful for long trips and running through airports!
I bought a pair of those Woven Walkers through Travel Smith and I love them!!

Old 03-23-2015, 05:37 PM

746 posts, read 624,479 times
Several of my friends have been talking about Tieks flats and the more I read about them the more I want a pair! They are SUPER cute and stylish but the cost is prohibitive- they average at $200 a pair
If you're willing to invest the money, they just may be worth it.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:40 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,480,858 times
I'm going to chime in for Aerosoles, comfy and stylish another great brand for comfort are Merrell.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 PM

8,142 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Enchantment View Post
Antonio Melani's Prima Flats are the only flats I wear lol. The first time you wear them you'll get a little bit of red skin but you gotta break almost all shoes in at some point. They're worth it. I also added Target's heel cushions to the back of them for even more comfort. The shoes sell for 60 and come in beige, tan, grey and black. I have all except grey.
This is actually incorrect. Shoes should never have to be broken in any longer and should be very comfortable on their first wear. I suggest you get your foot resized as that may be the issue.

To the OP, Tori Burch Reva flats are the only ones I wear. They are the only ones that don't feel like I'm standing on concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty